cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apex X299 & Two Samsung 970 EVO NVMe drives.

viperxbr
Level 7
Greetings,

I currently have an x7820 CPU in this board. Is there a way I can fit two NVMe drives using either one or both DIMM.2(CPU and/or PCH) boards on this MB and still receive max performance from both drives? They will be installed as separate drives (No RAID required).

Anyone else doing this?

Thanks,
Todd.
10 REPLIES 10

G75rog
Level 10
You can use Dimm.2_1 on the cpu slot and the pch Dimm.2. You would need at least a 7900x to use both sockets on the cpu Dimm.2

I use a 7900x with 1 1tb 960 Pro on the pch dimm, 2 2tb 970 evo's on the cpu dimm, and 4 2tb 960 Pro's on a hyperx16 card.

Sprayingmango
Level 10
I was wondering a similar thing. I am running SLI 1080Ti with a 960 Evo in the DIMM.2 card. Running a 7900X. Do I have enough PCI lanes to run a second 970 Evo?

As you can see in this pic., it gives the low down on the limitations with the CPU_DIMM.2 slot but nothing on the PCH_DIMM.2 slot.

I have the x7820 which limits me to 28 lanes. Only one NVMe drive available for my setup on the CPU_DIMM.2 card.

I'd like to know the specs, limitations, etc. for the PCH slot/add-on... The manual sucks for this.

Cheers,
Todd.

G75rog
Level 10
You should be able to run 2 drives on the PCH Dimm and one on the CPU Dimm. Pay attention to the socket you use. Sockets are labeled in tiny print.

With a 7900x and HyperX16 card I now have 8 drives (14 TB) running on the Apex.

G75rog wrote:
You should be able to run 2 drives on the PCH Dimm and one on the CPU Dimm. Pay attention to the socket you use. Sockets are labeled in tiny print.

With a 7900x and HyperX16 card I now have 8 drives (14 TB) running on the Apex.

Thanks for the info!

When you say "pay attention to the socket I use", are you talking about DIMM.2 or PCIe socket? The manual is pretty good with the layout/labelling for both.

Cheers.

G75rog
Level 10
Sockets on the Dimm.2.

G75rog wrote:
Sockets on the Dimm.2.
One of the DIMM.2 can use either the PCH or CPU lane, configurable in the BIOS.

viperxbr
Level 7
Just installed the 1st 970 EVO on the PCH DIMM.2 slot. Works like a charm! just over 3.2GB/s Reads and 2.4GB/s writes. Over 450,000 Read/Write IOPS.

G75rog
Level 10
Grats!