cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C7H refuses to boot randomly

-ScottMcCoy
Level 7
Hi guys,

I'm running Asus boards since years but the C7H really drives me crazy. The board refuses to boot randomly. Here are the main components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
MB: C7H with BIOS 0804
RAM: 32GB (2x16 GB) G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C14D-32GTZR (@ 2133 😞 )
VGA: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI OC
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 – 1000W 80+ Platinum
LCD: Asus ROG Swift PG27VQ (connected via DisplayPort)

I've reflashed the BIOS with 0804 and had no issues for approx. 6 days. Right now the board boots into Windows but the white LED is lit --> no signal. No Q-code. Sometimes I get the Q-codes d6 an 0D. When this happens the boot process stops and both LED's (white and green) are lit. Any advice or suggestions? I've already reseated / reconnected everything and reflashed to 0702. The GPU is running fine in another machine. Can't test CPU or RAM due to ther lack of another AM4 board.
11 REPLIES 11

rchiwawa
Level 7
-ScottMcCoy wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm running Asus boards since years but the C7H really drives me crazy. The board refuses to boot randomly. Here are the main components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
MB: C7H with BIOS 0804
RAM: 32GB (2x16 GB) G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C14D-32GTZR (@ 2133 😞 )
VGA: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI OC
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 – 1000W 80+ Platinum
LCD: Asus ROG Swift PG27VQ (connected via DisplayPort)

I've reflashed the BIOS with 0804 and had no issues for approx. 6 days. Right now the board boots into Windows but the white LED is lit --> no signal. No Q-code. Sometimes I get the Q-codes d6 an 0D. When this happens the boot process stops and both LED's (white and green) are lit. Any advice or suggestions? I've already reseated / reconnected everything and reflashed to 0702. The GPU is running fine in another machine. Can't test CPU or RAM due to ther lack of another AM4 board.

I posted about my C7H woes with Bios revisions and memory.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104056-C7H-2700x-and-Corsair-3333-3333-(2x16GB)-on-BIOS-40...

When my board has rev x7xx or rev 0804 when it is memory bugging out, D6 is one of three codes the qled will display. You might try older revisions. I have found for my setups anything 0601 or older works great. anything newer is so buggy it will crash out bios at times... depending on its mood that particular session

Thank you for your feedback. I will try the older BIOS versions.

Tried going back to 0509. Same problem with every BIOS version. Flashed back to 0804. Right now the system boots into Windows after showing d6, 0d, 1d and 24. The white LED stays on and I have no signal at the DP port. After 10 or more resets the system boots normally and the code 24 stays.

rchiwawa
Level 7
My question at this point is are you within your return window with your vendor? I am newly back to the scene after a six or so year hiatus. When I took a couple of weeks to really research this Ryzen build one thing that continually came up was the subject of RAM. I tried looking up your RAM on the QVL but either I copy and paste failed or it isn't on there. This build is the first I have ever actually referenced the QVL for RAM out of >100 systems build (I used to work in the field). Ram copatibility never was a problem for me from Pentium through A64 x2 but my reading led me to believe if I was ever going to have a problem, it would be with Ryzen... excepting some Kingston memory and nForce 2 boards... I rolled the dice and feel I got lucky. I was pretty nervous about it, though, and had $2k in alternates lined up on Amazon to overnight ship if I had any problems so I could get the thing up and running and then return the rest. My RAM isn't without problem and I hope is is rectified in future BIOS revisions but I have been running this machine 24x7 CPU and GPU Folding@home on rev 0601 since I last dicked around with getting to the bottom of what was causing my particular problem. I can't help but feel like it could quite possibly be the RAM related in your case.

Everything else on your list looks solid and memory is seemingly a Ryzen thing; it seems like the best place to start troubleshooting. I hate floating money for diagnostics as much as the next person but if it were me, I would buy a cheap 2x kit of QVL RAM, pop it in and see what happens. If it doesn't solve it, move on from there. I assume your power delivery looks good, temps, etc. Your posts lead me to believe that you're at least familiar with the broadstrokes of and probably rather capable with PC builds so I am granting the otherwise obvious as given.

Thanks rchiwawa! I can't return the components to the vendor and I don't want to start the RMA process. I think I'll borrow different RAM sticks and start testing if this is the root cause. In my opinion it's just a real buggy BIOS firmware. I had similar issues with all of my Asus boards at the early stage of the commercial launch. But after struggling they were reliable mainboards. That's the reason why I'm always buying Asus.

Things to check:

- substitute DP by HDMI cable
- switch vom NVME on Socket 3 (M.2_1) to SATA SSD
- change RAM / test different slots

gupsterg
Level 13
F4-3200C14D-32GTZR not being on the QVL is not an issue IMO. This will be Samsung B die, which Ryzen favours the most over any other. What can be an issue is Ryzen doesn't handle dual rank/sided dimms as well as single rank/sided.

When the board posts some of the codes are status code IIRC and not fault codes. Once in OS Q-Code display should show 24 or 40, 40 is shown when Window Fast Boot is used or resume from sleep S4 IIRC.

If the white Q-LED stays on it means the GPU has issue and or mobo is having an issue with it (if you get what I mean). As you have tested that in another system and it has no issue, perhaps try it in another slot on C7H.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Appreciate your reply gupsterg. There could be a incompability between MB and GPU. Right now I'm hoping that a new BIOS version solves that problem. I read several threads about having problems with GPU / board combinations.

I found out that I have to do a cold boot by removing the cable of the PSU for approx. 30 minutes. Writing this reply from this machine right now. Everything works like a charm if I pass the boot process... Right now the board shows me the code 24.

gupsterg
Level 13
NP 🙂 .

Another option whilst waiting for say a new UEFI is perhaps to use sleep/resume.

The board posts differently this way and perhaps you won't encounter the issue. I know this suggestion is not ideal, but maybe a working solution till permanent solution occurs. Early on in Ryzen gen 1 / C6H ownership, as I awaited improvements to UEFI to allow >3200MHz post issues to be resolved, I used that as a workaround. I never noted a vast difference in power from wall plug, when comparing board shut off with standby power on vs sleep.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

I decided to send the board back to the vendor. Checked another graphics card today. Q-Code: d6 and 0d.