Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    New ROGer Array

Guys do you have GForce Experience installed? I noticed that my laptop out of the sudden became loud, fan like 100% and there was no reaction for turning on silent, balanced or boosted mode. I started looking for a solution and found this thread, Nvidia driver mentioned here gave me a clue. In my case GForce experience downloaded an update which was ready to install but not installed because of this old version wasn't running in my system. When I clicked on the icon to open it, GForce experience started automatic installation and once the program opened up fan instantly went to silent.

If you look in GForce Experience options there is "Whisper mode - Makes your plugged-in laptop quiet while gaming."

Try that, maybe it will solve your problem as well.

New ROGer Array

Post possoble problem

Hei guys,

i am gonna share my experience with you regarding this fan problem.
    I had the same problem with my GL504G, for first two weeks laptop worked as it should. But then left fan started going bonkers. It went full throtle most of the time. I tried several driver reinstals and so on, then i came to idea, maybe, just maybe heat sink doesnt transfer heat for some reason and laptop is getting a constant signal that its hot. And eureka, heatsink has a flaw, left side is very thin and after some usage it deforms and dissataches itselft from some components that are connected via thermal paste to it. After reapplying thermal paste and attaching heatsink so it stays attached, laptop has been working perfectly, only going full throtle on overboost mode when playing some demanding games (its now ~3 months since i did that and all is good).

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Folklore dancer View Post
    Hei guys,

I had the same problem with my GL504G, for first two weeks laptop worked as it should. But then left fan started going bonkers. It went full throtle most of the time. I tried several driver reinstals and so on, then i came to idea, maybe, just maybe heat sink doesnt transfer heat for some reason and laptop is getting a constant signal that its hot. And eureka, heatsink has a flaw, left side is very thin and after some usage it deforms and dissataches itselft from some components that are connected via thermal paste to it. After reapplying thermal paste and attaching heatsink so it stays attached, laptop has been working perfectly, only going full throtle on overboost mode when playing some demanding games (its now ~3 months since i did that and all is good).

Can you give a little more detail before I take my new laptop apart? Which heat sink? Where is it located?

My problem is the GPU fan runs full, half, or silent speed completely randomly, even when the system is using the Intel GPU and GPU Tweak reports it's only at 34 degrees C. So I don't want to start randomly pulling off heatsinks

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Folklore dancer View Post
    Hei guys,

Had to make an account to thank you for this post.
    I have been stalking this thread for months, constantly looking for a solution thinking that the issue was related to software/bios/etc. But nothing ever worked, and when I read your post it finally made sense, even though I thought there was no way it could be hardware related.

I didn't even need to reapply the thermal paste, I just moved the CPU fan cable around a bit and tightened the heatsink screws, and the fans stopped going crazy permanently since then.

So if anyone else is having the issue where the CPU fan goes crazy loud on maximum speed and nothing can stop it, your issue is hardware related, not software. Either open up your laptop and tighten/remount/repaste the heatsink or go to a technician to help you with that if you can't do it, but it's pretty easy to be honest.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by vz5zF0 View Post
    Had to make an account to thank you for this post.
    I have been stalking this thread for months, constantly looking for a solution thinking that the issue was related to software/bios/etc. But nothing ever worked, and when I read your post it finally made sense, even though I thought there was no way it could be hardware related.

I didn't even need to reapply the thermal paste, I just moved the CPU fan cable around a bit and tightened the heatsink screws, and the fans stopped going crazy permanently since then.

So if anyone else is having the issue where the CPU fan goes crazy loud on maximum speed and nothing can stop it, your issue is hardware related, not software. Either open up your laptop and tighten/remount/repaste the heatsink or go to a technician to help you with that if you can't do it, but it's pretty easy to be honest.
    If the problem is solved, congratulations!

*** You just tightened the screw that the radiator is pressing on the CPU cover,right?. What do you mean by "moved the CPU fan cable around a bit", is it pulling the plug down, or you just touch it.
    *** I noticed that unplugging the fan plug and plugging it back can solve the fan problem for a few days to a few weeks. I don't know if you solved the problem in this way.

I really hope someone can help me. I have tried many methods, but I have not completely solved my problem.
    Thank you very much!
    Last edited by 棽木; 10-10-2019 at 03:09 AM.

ROG Member Array

I just bought the whole "fan+radiator" hardware from asus-accessories.com site. It wasn't delivered yet, so I cannot say if replacing it solves the problem... I just hope so, otherwise, I see no other option than buy another notebook from another brand.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by 棽œ View Post
    If the problem is solved, congratulations!

*** You just tightened the screw that the radiator is pressing on the CPU cover,right?. What do you mean by "moved the CPU fan cable around a bit", is it pulling the plug down, or you just touch it.
    *** I noticed that unplugging the fan plug and plugging it back can solve the fan problem for a few days to a few weeks. I don't know if you solved the problem in this way.

I really hope someone can help me. I have tried many methods, but I have not completely solved my problem.
    Thank you very much!
    Yeah I tightened all the screws related to the CPU part of the heatsink, and wiggled (didn't unplug) the CPU fan wire around a bit and noticed that it kept slowing down the fan speed from maximum when I did that. Eventually it stopped doing it completely, not sure what fixed it exactly, but I hope it's not temporary like you said with unplugging and replugging the cable. It's been around 1-2 weeks now with no issues. If it starts doing it again I'll unscrew the whole heatsink and repaste everything and see if it helps, but it hasn't come back yet.
    Last edited by vz5zF0; 10-10-2019 at 10:05 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by vz5zF0 View Post
    Yeah I tightened all the screws related to the CPU part of the heatsink, and wiggled (didn't unplug) the CPU fan wire around a bit and noticed that it kept slowing down the fan speed from maximum when I did that. Eventually it stopped doing it completely, not sure what fixed it exactly, but I hope it's not temporary like you said with unplugging and replugging the cable. It's been around 1-2 weeks now with no issues. If it starts doing it again I'll unscrew the whole heatsink and repaste everything and see if it helps, but it hasn't come back yet.
    So, was the computer on when you wiggled the CPU fan wire and tighten the screws? My computer is notebook gl540gm and i think doing this things while computer is on is not safe. But If you really did this, I will try. At least this will solve the problem.
    thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3