Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the ROG Zenith Extreme support any sleep modes

g051051
Level 7
ROG Zenith Extreme w/firmware 1003
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1803, Build 17134.191
All ASUS and AMD drivers installed and up to date

I can't enable Sleep mode in Windows. It doesn't show up in the Power settings, and powercfg -a reports that the firmware doesn't support any standby states:

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -a
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hibernate
Hibernation has not been enabled.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.
Hibernation is not available.

Fast Startup
Hibernation is not available.

The only thing I can see in the firmware related to sleep states is the setting for enabling additional power saving for S4/S5 or S5 (ErP ready), but the manual doesn't seem to say that'll affect availability of power states.

I've tried all sorts of things in terms of power diagnostics, power plan options, device wake monitoring, etc. Nothing has helped, with the system universally just saying "the firmware does not support this standby state".

Does this actually work in the ROG Zenith Extreme?
12 REPLIES 12

FlyingBear
Level 7
Mine sleeps perfectly well. Windows 10 1803 Pro x64. Also 1003. *Did you install current AMD chipset drivers?*

Looks fine on my system. 🙂

Standby also depends on video card, so make sure those are updated and goto amd's website and grab the latest chipset drivers.

spadizzle wrote:

Looks fine on my system. 🙂

Standby also depends on video card, so make sure those are updated and goto amd's website and grab the latest chipset drivers.

As far as I can tell, I have the latest chipset drivers (18.10.0601, 6/7/2018) and the latest video card drivers. However, while it's possible for things to interfere with a computer going to sleep, it shouldn't cause the firmware to claim no sleep states are supported.

FlyingBear wrote:
Mine sleeps perfectly well. Windows 10 1803 Pro x64. Also 1003. *Did you install current AMD chipset drivers?*

Yes, as I mentioned in my initial post.

g051051 wrote:
Yes, as I mentioned in my initial post.

I'm sorry, I did see that, but wanted to be sure that it included AMD chipset drivers.

It can't hurt to run this in an DOS window:

powercfg -energy -output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Energy.html

The report (Energy.html) MAY contain more information about what's causing the issue. HTH!

FlyingBear wrote:
I'm sorry, I did see that, but wanted to be sure that it included AMD chipset drivers.

It can't hurt to run this in an DOS window:

powercfg -energy -output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Energy.html

The report (Energy.html) MAY contain more information about what's causing the issue. HTH!

I did that before. While it shows a lot of things that could potentially block the system from sleeping, it doesn't explain why the firmware is reporting that it doesn't support any sleep states at all.

My interaction with ASUS has been about as helpful as I've come to expect:

"I have an answer from our product engineers and please see their response below:

Please try replacing power supply and replace the memory.

If you still not satisfy, please RMA the motherboard for bad power EPU. Please provide the serial number of your motherboard so that we can verify the warranty status of it."

It seems insane that a "bad power EPU" could result in the system not reporting any sleep states, or that my memory or PSU could be the cause.

g051051
Level 7
Oh man, I just figured this out, and it's a doozy. If you disable SMT, then the firmware doesn't report any sleep states to the OS. I discovered this because I updated my firmware to 1402, and after resetting things and booting, I checked and I now had S3 available. But I noticed I'd forgotten to turn off SMT. So I did, and S3 was gone again! To verify, I turned it back on to Auto, and S3 came back.

So there's a bug in the firmware that misreports the sleep states when SMT is turned off, and it's confirmed to be happening in 1402. Well, at least I know why it's happening now.

g051051 wrote:
Oh man, I just figured this out, and it's a doozy. If you disable SMT, then the firmware doesn't report any sleep states to the OS. I discovered this because I updated my firmware to 1402, and after resetting things and booting, I checked and I now had S3 available. But I noticed I'd forgotten to turn off SMT. So I did, and S3 was gone again! To verify, I turned it back on to Auto, and S3 came back.

So there's a bug in the firmware that misreports the sleep states when SMT is turned off, and it's confirmed to be happening in 1402. Well, at least I know why it's happening now.

I'd suggest you create a post about it over at https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1642825-asus-x399-rog-zenith-extreme-complaint-b... so elmor can see it and make people working with the UEFI aware of it.

Ljugtomten wrote:
I'd suggest you create a post about it over at https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1642825-asus-x399-rog-zenith-extreme-complaint-b... so elmor can see it and make people working with the UEFI aware of it.

I have a ticket open with ASUS already.