ROG Junior Member Array

Contrast changing on G751

Hi all,
    I'm really hoping that someone can give me a helping hand on this one. I've had my G751 for 3 years now and in the last week or so, I've noticed that the contrast would randomly change on the monitor. This is regardless of if I have the colour settings to be based on the application I'm using, or if I'm getting the Nvidia control panel to over ride everything.

Curiously, I've managed to whittle it down to the fact that if something connects, or is disconnected to the laptop, be it via USB or Bluetooth, it'll bump down the contrast. I tried to record it in Camtasia and the effect couldn't be seen. The only way to get around this issue is to go into Splendid and change the colour mode back to Vivid, which will make it look like it did before. It might not sound like much, but to have light greys becoming a lot darker, it really does go for my eyes.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. I have tried updating the Nvidia drivers, and it didn't help, so I rolled back to a driver from a few months ago and it still doesn't resolve the issue. I find it out that devices connecting to the laptop would result in this. I have also disabled the adaptive brightness feature in the power plan settings. I'm running on Windows 10 64 bit, everything is up to date and the GPU is the GTX970M.

Super Moderator Array

Hi,

Not sure how much it can help, but if you're interested and haven't seen it, thought you may want to check the older thread below to see if there are any ideas that can help.
    Feel free to let us know if there are still problems though and you're still looking for suggestions.
    Thanks.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-nuts!!/page20

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Darnassus PC Specs
    Darnassus PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VS -=-=- G750JX
    MotherboardASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G752VS (U3E1) -=-=- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JX (SOCKET 0)
    Processori7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz -=-=- i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - 3.40GHz
    Memory (part number)2x16gb (M471A2K43BB1-CRC) -=-=- 2x8gb (HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1070 (8GB) -=-=- GTX 770M (3GB)
    Sound CardRealtek High Definition Audio / NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    MonitorGSync IPS 75HZ -=-=- Chi Mei 60Hz (Overclocked to 85Hz)
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB x2 -=-=- LITEONIT LCS-256M6S
    Storage #2HGST HTS721010A9E630 -=-=- ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
    CPU CoolerStock -=-=- Stock
    CaseStock -=-=- Stock
    Power SupplyStock -=-=- Stock
    Keyboard Stock -=-=- Stock
    Mouse Razer Naga Epic 1st Generation
    Headset SPH 2500
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Winblows 10 Pro -=-=- Winblows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterCG3000v2

Reinstall Win10? ;3
    Gosh Blue Lady.. ❤

JOIN THE ASUS T-SHOOT DISCORD <-- Clicky!

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Splendid was installed when you first got your G751JT/Y/L... it was most probably also enabled as default.
    Splendid controls/change the color profile of the screen - it based on some ICM config files that you can use on win10 as well ( AFAIK, you don't have to install splendid for using it as windows got it own color profile setup screen that can load that profile ).

Please note that win10 got a "night light" mode ( against blue light in the night ), that might change the screen color without you noticing it - so you might want to disable it completely.

Lastly, if your screen saw a lot of sun, or is simply plain old ( no matter how "new" is the FLAT tech it is based on ), its colors get dull after some years... ( depends on use, burnin effects etc.. ).

ROG Junior Member Array

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this.

I had a look at the thread you mentioned, @cl-albert, but the consensus there was that the latest Nvidia drivers sorted the issue.

@gps3dx, I had actually thought it was the night light that might be causing that but it was already turned off.

Even if I go to change to one of the other colour profiles in the colour management app, it results in the same, darkening effect on the screen when I turn off the Bluetooth or plug in/unplug a usb device.

I thought it might have been part of some visual notification in place of sound being played but I've got that function turned off anyway.

It might end up being a reinstall after all.

Edit- After going into the colour manangement software, I had to plug in a pen drive to save some files and I received the error message "he devices pages has been refreshed due to a hardware change"
    Reading from that, I believe it's thinking that any device attaching to the laptop needs its own colour profile and it resetting the one currently in use.
    Last edited by SolveMyMaze; 08-12-2018 at 12:35 PM.