New ROGer Array

Question Strix Z370-E - Second PCIE M.2 slot not selectable as a boot device?

I have a 500GB Samsung Evo 970 in PCIE M.2 slot 1 and a 256GB Evo 970 in PCIE M.2 Slot 2.

Only the first is selectable in the boot order. I want to boot to the second. Do I really have to switch the slots they are installed in and pull that thermal pad goop off of the one currently in slot 1?

The second is detected under the boot override option, and it shows up fine in Linux and I created a GPT partition table on it and formatted it. It just isn't selectable in the the boot order... What gives?

Doesn't seem to matter if I have Windows UEFI or Other OS selected either. I tried every combination of the boot options in advanced mode I can think of.

Thanks,
    Last edited by damag0r; 08-09-2018 at 02:53 AM.

ROG Member Array RLGL123 PC Specs
    RLGL123 PC Specs
    MotherboardPrime Z370-A
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Graphics Card #1GTX 970
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Evo 500G
    Keyboard Logitech
    Mouse Logitech
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC 86U

Quote Originally Posted by damag0r View Post
    I have a 500GB Samsung Evo 970 in PCIE M.2 slot 1 and a 256GB Evo 970 in PCIE M.2 Slot 2.

Only the first is selectable in the boot order. I want to boot to the second. Do I really have to switch the slots they are installed in and pull that thermal pad goop off of the one currently in slot 1?

The second is detected under the boot override option, and it shows up fine in Linux and I created a GPT partition table on it and formatted it. It just isn't selectable in the the boot order... What gives?

Doesn't seem to matter if I have Windows UEFI or Other OS selected either. I tried every combination of the boot options in advanced mode I can think of.

Thanks,
    With the issues I had with a Prime Z370-A, the slot to boot with is the slot 2, Part of the problems I had were the fact that the board would not detect the 970 in slot 1. After 2 boards I moved on. FWIW the BIOS version was 1002.