cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z370-E - Second PCIE M.2 slot not selectable as a boot device?

damag0r
Level 8
I have a 500GB Samsung Evo 970 in PCIE M.2 slot 1 and a 256GB Evo 970 in PCIE M.2 Slot 2.

Only the first is selectable in the boot order. I want to boot to the second. Do I really have to switch the slots they are installed in and pull that thermal pad goop off of the one currently in slot 1?

The second is detected under the boot override option, and it shows up fine in Linux and I created a GPT partition table on it and formatted it. It just isn't selectable in the the boot order... What gives?

Doesn't seem to matter if I have Windows UEFI or Other OS selected either. I tried every combination of the boot options in advanced mode I can think of.

Thanks,
1 REPLY 1

RLGL123
Level 7
damag0r wrote:
I have a 500GB Samsung Evo 970 in PCIE M.2 slot 1 and a 256GB Evo 970 in PCIE M.2 Slot 2.

Only the first is selectable in the boot order. I want to boot to the second. Do I really have to switch the slots they are installed in and pull that thermal pad goop off of the one currently in slot 1?

The second is detected under the boot override option, and it shows up fine in Linux and I created a GPT partition table on it and formatted it. It just isn't selectable in the the boot order... What gives?

Doesn't seem to matter if I have Windows UEFI or Other OS selected either. I tried every combination of the boot options in advanced mode I can think of.

Thanks,

With the issues I had with a Prime Z370-A, the slot to boot with is the slot 2, Part of the problems I had were the fact that the board would not detect the 970 in slot 1. After 2 boards I moved on. FWIW the BIOS version was 1002.