cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Formula slow boot time

ExGreyFox
Level 7
Hello,

This post is regarding the system in my signature. To preface my issue, this system has been running solid so far since I built it about 2 months ago. No issues whatsoever knock on wood.

The one thing that I am curious for someone to explain is the long boot times that I am experiencing. After I press the power button, I watch the OLED display cycle through a series of hexadecimal values in the following order: "CPU" followed by 4 or 5 hex values, then "Memory" followed by about the same number of hex values and then back to "CPU" again with the same series of hex values. Afterwards I see "VGA" show up and then the system shows the ROG splash screen and windows begins to load. (Could this be what is referred to as "memory training" ??)

I clocked the total amount of time from power button press to Windows 10 login screen to be exactly 26 seconds. Is this a normal boot time for this mobo and system I have? I do have the "Fast Boot" option enabled in UEFI BIOS. If someone can please elaborate I would really appreciate it.

P.S. by the way, one fact I forgot to mention is that anytime I power on the system after having completely removed AC power from the PSU, the PC absolutely ALWAYS powers on, all lights and fans come on, then immediately shuts off, then powers on and proceeds with the "CPU, MEMORY, CPU" hex code cycle, then boots to windows. I find this pretty strange as this is my 6th gaming PC I've built in my lifetime and have never seen this before.

Intel i7-8700k Coffee Lake@stock
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16) 3200MHz
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti
Maximus X FORMULA Z370 BIOS 1401
NZXT Kraken x62 AIO
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB (OS)
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB (Games)
Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt
Cooler Master HAF X
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Combat Pedals
Heatware

12 REPLIES 12

Vlada011
Level 10
That's not slow boot time.
My Rampage V Edition 10 boot for 30-35 seconds.
That's normal and yours and mine. I could improve probably on same speed as your optimizing some softwares and shut down some process.
Are you aware how much is complicated Maximus X Formula than Maximus V Formula example, BIOS, new functions, new OS and priority are performance.
But now is easier to find culprit if something go wrong with system during boot, and before was much harder.

Slow boot time is 60-70 seconds.
That's slow boot time and maybe reason to check what's going on. 20-30-40 seconds is perfectly normal.
Actually 26 is not bad at all.

Actually somehow like boards with DDR4 start to boot slower than last chipset and models of DDR3 based motherboards.

chevell65
Level 12
On the memory training issue, is your memory set to XMP 3200,1.35v etc. or default 2133?

chevell65 wrote:
On the memory training issue, is your memory set to XMP 3200,1.35v etc. or default 2133?

I am using the XMP 3200

NZXT Kraken x62 AIO
Cooler Master HAF X
Heatware

chevell65
Level 12
I might test for memory stability just to be sure it's not the cause of the start up issue 'if there is one'.

chevell65 wrote:
I might test for memory stability just to be sure it's not the cause of the start up issue 'if there is one'.

Is cycling through CPU and Memory codes at startup an issues however?

NZXT Kraken x62 AIO
Cooler Master HAF X
Heatware

ExGreyFox wrote:
Is cycling through CPU and Memory codes at startup an issues however?

It's supposed to cycle through the codes but it seems to be going through the process twice for some reason.

NemesisChild
Level 12
ExGreyFox wrote:
Hello,

This post is regarding the system in my signature. To preface my issue, this system has been running solid so far since I built it about 2 months ago. No issues whatsoever knock on wood.

The one thing that I am curious for someone to explain is the long boot times that I am experiencing. After I press the power button, I watch the OLED display cycle through a series of hexadecimal values in the following order: "CPU" followed by 4 or 5 hex values, then "Memory" followed by about the same number of hex values and then back to "CPU" again with the same series of hex values. Afterwards I see "VGA" show up and then the system shows the ROG splash screen and windows begins to load. (Could this be what is referred to as "memory training" ??)

I clocked the total amount of time from power button press to Windows 10 login screen to be exactly 26 seconds. Is this a normal boot time for this mobo and system I have? I do have the "Fast Boot" option enabled in UEFI BIOS. If someone can please elaborate I would really appreciate it.

P.S. by the way, one fact I forgot to mention is that anytime I power on the system after having completely removed AC power from the PSU, the PC absolutely ALWAYS powers on, all lights and fans come on, then immediately shuts off, then powers on and proceeds with the "CPU, MEMORY, CPU" hex code cycle, then boots to windows. I find this pretty strange as this is my 6th gaming PC I've built in my lifetime and have never seen this before.

Completely normal for the mobo to shutdown then startup after power has been removed from the board.

I'm sitting at around 10 seconds, sometime slightly less on startup. Was about the same with my 6700K build. Not sure why a fair number of people are experiencing slow boot times.

Did you do an UEFI Windows installation?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
Completely normal for the mobo to shutdown then startup after power has been removed from the board.

I'm sitting at around 10 seconds, sometime slightly less on startup. Was about the same with my 6700K build. Not sure why a fair number of people are experiencing slow boot times.

Did you do an UEFI Windows installation?

I believe I installed it the UEFI way. Basically I just popped in a USB drive with Windows 10 on it and booted from it and installed windows.

NZXT Kraken x62 AIO
Cooler Master HAF X
Heatware

ExGreyFox wrote:
I believe I installed it the UEFI way. Basically I just popped in a USB drive with Windows 10 on it and booted from it and installed windows.

You would have to boot from the UEFI drive within the bios to do a UEFI installation of Windows.

You can verify under disk management, the C drive would have one of three partitions called "EFI system partition".

UEFI installation is probably the best way to reduce Windows boot time.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601