cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot problems / no signal Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI OC

-ScottMcCoy
Level 7
Hi guys,

I have strange problems with my new GPU. I can't boot properly because the mainboard sometimes can't find the graphics adapter. The white LED on my Crosshair VII is lit (VGA problem). I've described the issue already in this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104233-C7H-refuses-to-boot-randomly.

This morning the system booted Windows but I had no signal via Displayport. After approx. 10 or more resets the system boots normally and everything (stress test, office applications and games) works like a charm...

Are there any incompabilities for this combination known? Are there settings in the BIOS which are causing this issue?
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
-ScottMcCoy wrote:
Hi guys,

I have strange problems with my new GPU. I can't boot properly because the mainboard sometimes can't find the graphics adapter. The white LED on my Crosshair VII is lit (VGA problem). I've described the issue already in this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104233-C7H-refuses-to-boot-randomly.

This morning the system booted Windows but I had no signal via Displayport. After approx. 10 or more resets the system boots normally and everything (stress test, office applications and games) works like a charm...

Are there any incompabilities for this combination known? Are there settings in the BIOS which are causing this issue?

Hi,

I take it you've tried reseating the GPU? I'd recommend:

1) Reseating the graphics card

2) Updating the UEFI to the latest version

3) Trying an alternative DP cable.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

New cable, different slot, several BIOS versions. I still think it's caused by the mainboard. I've sent the GPU back to the vendor today. He said we should try another card. If the 1080ti is not the root cause I'll RMA the mainboard...

My vendor tested the 1080ti OC today and it seems, that there are incompatibilities between X470 chipsets and this Asus GPU model. They tested the GPU on an Intel system and there weren't any issues. After that I insisted to check the graphics card on an AMD system. They took a Gigabyte X470 mainboard and they weren't able to pass post process. Interesting that two mainboards from different manufacturers show the same error.

-ScottMcCoy wrote:
My vendor tested the 1080ti OC today and it seems, that there are incompatibilities between X470 chipsets and this Asus GPU model. They tested the GPU on an Intel system and there weren't any issues. After that I insisted to check the graphics card on an AMD system. They took a Gigabyte X470 mainboard and they weren't able to pass post process. Interesting that two mainboards from different manufacturers show the same error.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has had a similar experience with the Strix on that chipset.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

cljustin
Level 8
There's quite an interesting find, never heard of an issue like this. I'll keep this noted.