cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware 1403 available and working much better for me

g051051
Level 7
I just installed 1402 and it's a noticeable improvement in a few areas.

HDD disk display on the startup screen is now complete. It used to just show a few drives and misidentified things in the SATA screen.

My system now says it supports sleep state S3 (even though 1003 and 0902 didn't).

I can't tell if the updated AGESA fixed the Threadripper VME bug.

Edit: Turns out that I forgot to disable SMT after upgrading, and when I did, the S3 sleep state vanished again. So it's a bug in the firmware when SMT is disabled, S3 sleep is disabled too.
2 REPLIES 2

relm56
Level 7
g051051 wrote:
I just installed 1402 and it's a noticeable improvement in a few areas.

HDD disk display on the startup screen is now complete. It used to just show a few drives and misidentified things in the SATA screen.

My system now says it supports sleep state S3 (even though 1003 and 0902 didn't).

I can't tell if the updated AGESA fixed the Threadripper VME bug.

Edit: Turns out that I forgot to disable SMT after upgrading, and when I did, the S3 sleep state vanished again. So it's a bug in the firmware when SMT is disabled, S3 sleep is disabled too.

By VME bug do you mean the PCI-e reset issue?

If so it is fixed with the new BIOS. I had to patch the Linux kernel before, but under the new BIOS, there are no issues passing through PCI-e devices with a stock kernel. The BIOS has changed the IOMMU groupings slightly too, two of the USB controllers are isolated and can be passed through to a VM now. It took awhile... but I'd finally say that Threadripper is as just as good, if not better than Intel's HEDT platforms for virtualization now.

relm56 wrote:
By VME bug do you mean the PCI-e reset issue?

If so it is fixed with the new BIOS. I had to patch the Linux kernel before, but under the new BIOS, there are no issues passing through PCI-e devices with a stock kernel. The BIOS has changed the IOMMU groupings slightly too, two of the USB controllers are isolated and can be passed through to a VM now. It took awhile... but I'd finally say that Threadripper is as just as good, if not better than Intel's HEDT platforms for virtualization now.

No, I mean the one where the CPU reports it supports the old VME instructions but doesn't actually work correctly. It causes problems in VMs.