cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752 M2 NVME SSD Upgrade Question

tome10
Level 7
I installed a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB in the M2 slot, and Cloned the OS to this drive. The issue is that if I put the 2.5 ssd in the slot the computer automatically boots from that drive. I can't seem to get it sorted where I can reformat the 2.5 drive and use as a secondary storage drive. I've went into the bios and deleted the 2.5 from the boot list, but it doesn't seem to matter, If the 2.5 is in the slot, that's the one that the pc boots from. Thoughts?
14 REPLIES 14

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Plug in both drives, boot, spam ESC, you'll see a menu. Boot from Samsung 970. Then format other drive. ;x

OR

Plug in Windows Install Disc/USB, go through setup until 'Install to what Drive' then click SSD and 'Delete' all associated partitions. After that, simply cancel the installation, and reboot.

Given SATA and PCIe nature in my experience, SATA SSD will be "Disk 0". Confirm before taking action and delete.

You can confirm this by booting into Windows, right click 'My Computer' 'Manage' 'Disk Management' then take a photo of your disks. Your SATA SSD should be at the top (Disk 0) if not, then make sure you remember what number it is, then go into Windows Installer as mentioned above, then delete that Disk.

Good luck.. ;x

Well, the M2 doesn't show up as a boot option when the 2.5 is in place.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
tome10 wrote:
Well, the M2 doesn't show up as a boot option when the 2.5 is in place.

Have you installed Windows to the NVMe drive..? :f

If so, then just delete the normal SSD via Windows Installer. ;x

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well first off as the blue lady suggested boot with the Esc key for boot menu the select your new m.2 to boot from. the format the 2.5 as a logical drive.
If that don't work for you take out the 2.5 and boot up computer connect the 2.5 VIA USB either SATA to USB or ext case and then format it as a logical drive
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Well first off as the blue lady suggested boot with the Esc key for boot menu the select your new m.2 to boot from.

Like I said, the M2 isn't an option when the 2.5 is in place for some reason, which throws a monkey wrench into the 'easy way' cog.

It appears the two disks are having signature collision issues, due to cloning I assume.

tome10 wrote:
Like I said, the M2 isn't an option when the 2.5 is in place for some reason, which throws a monkey wrench into the 'easy way' cog.

no problem as long as your M.2 is booting and running fine. Use my option 2 SATA to USB to connect and format is windows won't see it that way use MiniTool Partition wizard to delete all partition then format the 2.5 as a logical drive and give it a drive letter using SATA to USB adapter.

3rd way Leave M.2 out of the notebook, it's already good to go. Put the 2.5 in and start a clean install as soon as the clean insall ask for imput press F10 and Shift keys that will bring up a command prompt. Type Diskpart
Diskpart, type list disk
disk 0 is the only disk so type Disk 0
Disk 0 type Clean All
exit
abort the clean install, and install you m.2 again, once you get back into window Use Disk manager to Initialize your 2.5 as a logical disk and give it a drive letter of your choice. End of problem
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Or just have the SATA SSD alone in the notebook, then go into Windows installer and wipe it that way. ;d

Or have you already done this, and even with a wiped SATA SSD, it still won't boot while in together? ;x

I went and got a usb sata adapter cable and used my other pc to wipe it. I have both disks working now. Thanks for the pointers!