I call on you because I would like to overclock
my Cpu and my Graphic Card

But as I have no knowledge in this area
that's why I'm asking you for help

I join you of course in the description the detail of my config
as well as some screenshots

Operating System ➢ Windows 10 Professional (X64) 1803
My motherboard ➢ Asus ROG Maximus X Code Intel Z270
Processor ➢ Intel Core i7-6700K (4.0 GHz)
CPU fan ➢ Be Quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4
Memory ➢ 16 GB of total DDR4 memory at 1.21 GHz
Food ➢ Be Quiet! Power Zone 1000W
Graphic Card ➢ Inno 3D GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Ultra
Graphics Card ➢ Intel (R) HD Graphics 530

***************************************************************************************************************
Bonjour,

Je fais appel à vous car je souhaiterais overclocker
mon Cpu ainsi que ma Carte Graphique

Mais comme je n'ai aucune connaissance dans ce domaine
voilà pourquoi je vous fais cette demande pour avoir de l'aide

Je vous joins bien-sûr dans la description le détail de ma config
ainsi que quelques captures d'écran

Système d'exploitation ➢ Windows 10 Professionnel ‎(X64)‎ 1803
Ma carte mere ➢ Asus ROG Maximus X Code Intel Z270
Processeur ➢ Intel Core i7-6700K (4.0 GHz)
Ventilateur de processeur ➢ Be Quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4
Mémoire ➢ 16 Go de mémoire totale de type DDR4 à 1.21 GHz
Alimentation ➢ Be Quiet! Power Zone 1000W
Carte Graphique ➢ Inno 3D GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Ultra
Carte Graphique ➢ Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

**********************************************************************************************************************

3 REPLIES 3

Mr__Fox
Level 12
There is a fair bit of learning and a lot of trial and error to find out what your silicon likes the best based on its bin quality. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty simple.

Here is a good place to start gathering the basics for CPU and GPU: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53533-Overclocking-Guide&highlight=skylake+overclocking

And, for GPU you might want to check out this thread as well: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87087-Overclocking-the-Strix-GTX-1080&highlight=1080+overc...

Cooling is the most important thing. If you don't keep the CPU and GPU cool the results are going to be lackluster and stability will be an issue. The colder you can keep them, the better your experience will be. Pascal GPUs need to be kept abnormally cold to not lose core clock speeds. They start "throttling" the GPU core at perfectly safe temperatures that have historically been considered good/normal.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Korth
Level 14
Skylake CPU is rated 91W TDP, large air CPU cooler is rated 250W, GPU is rated ~300W (based on 250W reference spec), and PSU is Bronze single-rail rated 1000W (with 400W nominal load and 1050W peak load).

I think cooling and power are both adequate for moderately aggressive OC in this system. Although the fans will tend to ramp up towards the higher rpm (louder) end of their "quiet" curves more often and more quickly.

An earlier mobo version, but same approach -
https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/guide-overclocking-core-i7-6700k-on-the-maximus-viii-extreme/

Be methodical, tweak one thing on one component at a time, don't change a half-dozen different settings like a pro until you're experienced with the parts. Otherwise you can't isolate which change on which part caused a fault. A lot of people complain that they "did nothing" but their computer is "suddenly" broken, but the fact is that if it worked before and it doesn't work now then it's almost always because something was changed.

Be patient, testing anything above minimal overclocks often reaches a point where personal judgement defines what is and is not "stable", it's rarely a sharp threshold, if you can live with "infrequent" BSoDs/crashes or memory issues or boot issues or whatever then you can push harder clocks. Stability testing means lots of reboots and running stuff (your normal apps/games or punishing stress tests). Expect some broken compatibility or finicky performance tradeoffs/tweaking with borderline memory, storage, PCIe, and USB hardwares.

Be realistic, an "average" 4.0GHz/4.2GHz i7-6700K overclock is about 4.6GHz or 4.7GHz, an "above average" or "epic" part can achieve 5GHz+ on air cooling. Always start clocks/multipliers at the low end and gradually increment until system failure. Always be reluctant to increase voltages unless doing so provides stability at higher clocks. I usually plot a curve of clock speed vs volts vs temps to find the point where temps increase exponentially - this is where I personally stop pushing (or even back down a notch) because I don't want my machines to be loud furnaces, plus I want them to last at least a few years, lol - but aggressive overclockers will often push right up to the maximal limits.

Don't be surprised if/when your OC eventually fails. Out of spec operation means no guarantees, no promises, what works today might work indefinitely or might fail tomorrow, every individual part has unique quirks which are impossible to predict. Someone else's settings on exactly the same hardware may or may not be "best" (if they work at all) on your hardware.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Download hwinfo64 for monitoring voltage. Download coretemp for monitoring core temperature, download cpuz for monitoring frequency usage. For beginners I recomend setting a realistic target for yourself to get used to playing with settings. Research your bios extensively. Download cinebench for cpu render test. Download aida64 for stress testing cpu. Take computer at stock settings and run aida64 stress test cpu. Have hwinfo64 and core temp open so you can monitor voltage and temperature durring test. Note readings (I take a pic with my phone and use as refrence. Go into bios. Depending on voltages amd what voltage target you want to use (pick something lower so you dont damage cpu) I recomend trying to get the same voltage for all cores when running aida64 cpu stress test. If say voltage is higher for one core over another, try using offset mode in bios for each individual core to equal out the voltages. If it is too high, use negative offset. Start small. Like -.03 in offset and stress test again
Monitor what voltage reads. Continue to adjust till you are happy. If voltage is too low, up the frequency a little and check again. Too high, offset negative