cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG279Q - Yellow/blue tint and backlight bleed. Acceptable?

reegad
Level 7
Hi

Just got this on friday, very impressed with the image quality but very sceptical about the backlight bleeding and yellow/blue tint.

The yellow/blue tint seems to be a 50/50, yellow on the left half of the monitor and blue on the right half.
Is this correct? not noticeable in games but very annoying when viewing websites, i also do a bit of photo work so correct whitebalance is important (not professional, so this monitor is still primarily for gaming)

The backlight bleeding occurs in all corners, not very noticeable in the left corners, but in the top and bottom right.
Not noticeable during gaming unless it is really dark, but noticeable when watching series/movies and loading-screens in games.

The bezel/front-frame in the top left and right corner is also a bit loose from the rest of the monitor, the bottom corners have no loose frame/bezel.

Is this acceptable? Got it on Friday 10-Aug-2018, and already starting to regret this purchase, luckily i still have everything and 30 days to return it.
For a 800$ monitor i expected a lot more.. should i try again for a new PG279Q? scared i will end up in a dead-end-loop replacing this over and over...

my 200$ BENQ 144hz 24" TN from 2015 is better than this.. but i need more than a 1080p 24" for my new 1080ti 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

cljustin
Level 8
It looks fine to me. Try setting brightness between 30-50, and blue light levels to 4 and see if you see any improvements.

reegad
Level 7
This looks fine? yikes...

Already returned it, the images posted were at brightness 37, tried all sorts of color calibration.
Cant calibrate the colors if half of the screen shows a slightly different color in the first place.

reegad wrote:
This looks fine? yikes...

It's always hard to tell from pictures because a camera sees things differently than the human eye and when we view it on our monitors it will also depend how we have ours calibrated. It does look uneven and tinted in your pictures but I couldn't say if it would bother or distract me in person. I had an IPS monitor with purple bleed and after a few minutes of use I barely noticed.

I do think it's silly when people test bleed under unrealistic conditions they would never actually want day-to-day. It's like they're hunting for reasons to be miserable. But if you are noticing image quality issues at a reasonable brightness in your normal viewing environment then I would agree with returning it. You don't want to spend a lot of money on something you are going to resent using.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

reegad
Level 7
Thanks for your reply, yeah it did bother me quite a bit when browsing the web with white/grey backgrounds (the yellow/blue tint)
The backlight bleeding bothered me only during movies/series, as the top/bottom parts of the screen are always black due to the widescreen format.

Had a PG278QR today, had a dead black pixel...
But other than that the image quality was nice, but i think i might give the IPS PG279Q another shot and see if i'm luckier next time 🙂