cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix GL702ZC CPU Upgrade Confirmed w/Links

AgentHunk
Level 8
I just finally found the links recently and found that they did just recently release the sales of a 65 Watt TDP CPU for the ROG Strix GL702ZC....

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819113498

now,only thing I don't know is how to switch how Cpu with thermal paste carefully.
6 REPLIES 6

deksman2
Level 8
AgentHunk wrote:
I just finally found the links recently and found that they did just recently release the sales of a 65 Watt TDP CPU for the ROG Strix GL702ZC....

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819113498

now,only thing I don't know is how to switch how Cpu with thermal paste carefully.

Uhm... pardon me but what exactly makes you think this will work in GL702ZC?
Asus never said anything about releasing BIOS support for Ryzen+ or Zen2... in fact, the last time they were asked this question by someone via a support ticked (a user from Notebookreview) Asus said that they have no plans on releasing microcode updates for Ryzen+.

So, despite the fact the CPU is compatible and has appropriate TDP, it wouldn't work in GL702ZC because Asus hadn't released a BIOS with microcode support for Ryzen+ (at least, I'm not aware that they had).

There was another user on Notebookreview who installed Linux on his GL702ZC and he succesfully slipstreamed the Ryzen+ microcode support into BIOS 303.
He hadn't tested it yet with Ryzen+, but he also said that he's not particularly interested in the refresh, but rather in Zen 2 (And I personally agree with him because switching to Ryzen+ would be a minor update at least... we'd be better off waiting for Zen2).

On the other hand, Asus DID release BIOS 305 recently... but their details only say the new version includes 'stability updates' (or something to that effect).
Nothing was stated on what was actually changed/added (if anything).

deksman2 wrote:
Uhm... pardon me but what exactly makes you think this will work in GL702ZC?
Asus never said anything about releasing BIOS support for Ryzen+ or Zen2... in fact, the last time they were asked this question by someone via a support ticked (a user from Notebookreview) Asus said that they have no plans on releasing microcode updates for Ryzen+.

So, despite the fact the CPU is compatible and has appropriate TDP, it wouldn't work in GL702ZC because Asus hadn't released a BIOS with microcode support for Ryzen+ (at least, I'm not aware that they had).

There was another user on Notebookreview who installed Linux on his GL702ZC and he succesfully slipstreamed the Ryzen+ microcode support into BIOS 303.
He hadn't tested it yet with Ryzen+, but he also said that he's not particularly interested in the refresh, but rather in Zen 2 (And I personally agree with him because switching to Ryzen+ would be a minor update at least... we'd be better off waiting for Zen2).

On the other hand, Asus DID release BIOS 305 recently... but their details only say the new version includes 'stability updates' (or something to that effect).
Nothing was stated on what was actually changed/added (if anything).

Let me get this straight,they made another 65watt tdp chip and did not bother to add compatibility options to it?

AgentHunk wrote:
Let me get this straight,they made another 65watt tdp chip and did not bother to add compatibility options to it?

Correction:
AMD made another 65W TDP chip.
It's ASUS that doesn't wish to bother with adding compatibility to the GL702ZC BIOS for it.

AMD has no say on which OEM's decide to use their microcode updates for specific chipsets and motherboards... and as you know, laptop OEM's are notorious for not really supporting new hardware, even though AMD specifically designed the B350 chipset to be compatible with Ryzen + and Zen 2 so that users can effectively swap out the CPU for a better one.

Heck, laptop OEM's tend to LOCK the BIOS completely so that anything beyond most basic (and virtually useless) functions is available to consumers.

They do tend to support desktop hardware more than laptops... however, in this particular sense, Asus should have made an exception. They SHOULD have unlocked the BIOS and released recent BIOS upgrades for Ryzen+ and ensure they will integrate Zen2 support too... but alas, they said they have no plans to support Ryzen refresh (not sure about Zen2, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up).

ReneS
Level 8
any news here?

+1 at least give us the option to unlock the bios.

Psiboy69
Level 8

I own the same Model Laptop too. Will Never buy another Asus after this. I have a spare 2600 and 3700x sitting around from desktop upgrades. It would be nice is Asus actually gave a stuff about their customers. The recent AM5 Motherboard warranty fiasco that was covered by GamersNexus among others really showed up how they just aren't focused on customers like they used to be.