New ROGer Array

Crosshair VII Hero PWM Fan Issue

I have a Crosshair VII Hero running a 2700X under full custom loop watercooling. I'm having a really serious issue with the PWM fan control. I also have issues with the water pump controls just not function as they're supposed to, but that isn't as critical an issue as below.

First, during a gaming session, my loop overheated significantly - at the time I didn't have a temp sensor installed so I'm not sure what the coolant was at, but CPU/GPU temps were over 85c, when usually they operate at 50c/35c respectively. I shut down, let the system cool in bios with fans going 100%, assumed it was my fault and the rads weren't getting enough airflow.

Installed a temp sensor a couple days later. Then it happened again. This time I saw the coolant temp - 77c. I'm sure everyone knows how bad that is. Shut down again, let it cool in bios with fans going 100%. Again assumed it was my fault for not having a 100% fanspeed failsafe step on my PWM curve.

Setup an alert and auto shutdown in HWiNFO64 @ 50c coolant temp. Fixed the PWM curve to have a 100% fanspeed failsafe. Thought it'd be fine.

Lo and behold, it was not fine. I caught it early the next time, coolant temp was @ 47c when I noticed it. Because the temp wasn't staggeringly bad at the time I actually spent some time looking around and noticed, for some reason, my fans were OFF. My lowest PWM setting is 40% @ 25c coolant temp, yet the fans were OFF COMPLETELY. I rebooted, checked my PWM settings, all fine. NOTHING to explain why this happened. I started thinking maybe a badly uninstalled AISuite 3 had caused a conflict on the PWM headers, so I completely reformatted windows, hoping it would solve the issue. It didn't. I have set alerts on both headers running radiator fans (CH2/3, each running 2x 2000RPM Noctua Industrial fans) for < 800 RPM. These alerts have gone off FOUR TIMES TODAY. Bear in mind my lowest PWM setting is 40%, so the fans should NEVER drop below 800, in fact when coolant is @ 20c, they sit on 850 steady. Yet here they are, constantly dropping below 800rpm. The usual fix is a reboot, however one of those reboots caused CH3 to lock @ 1900 rpm, and CH2 to lock @ 750rpm. This issue is getting completely out of control. The two overheats have caused serious damage to my watercooling loop. I usually leave my PC on 24/7 to allow me RDCP access for work purposes, but I can't do that anymore because who knows when this piece of crap board is going to just turn my fans off and cause my loop to overheat completely.

I used to be a die hard ASUS devotee, but for the last few builds I've gone with MSI/Gigabyte for cost reasons. This time I decided to go for a top of the line ROG board again and I am having nothing but issues, at significant extra cost to myself. I honestly can't ever see myself buying another ASUS product again after this.

If there is a solution to this issue I would love to hear it, because for now I'm stuck rebooting my PC every time the motherboard screws up the fans, and I simply cannot ever leave my PC on unattended, which is a big part of what I use it for.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array brkkab123 PC Specs
    brkkab123 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i5 6600K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 32GBs
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 OC 8GB
    Sound CardOnboard sound
    MonitorLG 25UM58-P
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB m.2
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB SATA & W.D. Black 2.0TB
    CPU CoolerEK Water Blocks EK-XLC Predator 240 1.1 w/push/pull add-on fans kit
    CaseNZXT Phantom 820
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2
    Keyboard Logitech G213 Prodigy
    Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy
    Headset/Speakers Logitech X530 5.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterNetgear WNDR 3700
    Accessory #1 Logitech c615 HD Webcam
    Accessory #2 Seagate Backup Desk 3.0TB
    Accessory #3 Logitech U920 Driving Force Racing Wheel/Logitech Driving Force Shifter/GT Omega Wheel Stand

Personally I'd try putting the water coolers fans into the cpu and cpu opt headers and see what happens then.
    Also, you can put the pump or radiatior header in the aio header near the cpu fan headers.
    Try those and see what happens.
    Also did you make sure the loop was full, free of air and not leaking?
    I've always done aio water coolers, so I don't have experience in a lot of the custom loop stuff, but I keep up on tech and follow channels on YouTube, like JayzTwoCents.
    He knows his **** on water cooling.
    His channel link: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=jayztwocents

brkkab123 PC Specs
    Sound CardOnboard sound
    MonitorLG 25UM58-P
    CaseNZXT Phantom 820
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Accessory #3 Logitech U920 Driving Force Racing Wheel/Logitech Driving Force Shifter/GT Omega Wheel Stand

My mistake, here's his YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/user/Jayztwocents
    The above one was a search for his channel I did.

brkkab123 PC Specs
    Sound CardOnboard sound
    MonitorLG 25UM58-P
    CaseNZXT Phantom 820
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

P.S. I'm getting the Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) in the next few months.
    I already have the 2700X awaiting it and the G-Skill Sniper X DDR4 3400-3466.
    I'm on disability do to health issues, so I won't have the mobo and ram until December and then I have to buy a new Windows 10 Pro key in January.
    January will be when I do the upgrade from my z 170 Skylake parts to Ryzen.
    Then the z 170/Skylake parts are gonna replace my old pc's 990FX/FX8350/DDR3 parts.
    Somewhere between September-January I need to get the AM4 upgrade kit from EK Water Blocks for my EK-XLC Predator 240 1.1 water cooler.
    May add new fittings/tubes/coolant,etc. at the Ryzen upgrade time as the Predator will have been ib use since June 2017 at that point.
    Might as well do everything at once.
    I may upgrade it's 4 Varder 120mm. fans to 4 Varder RGB 120mm. fans then or somewhere before next spring.
    Thanks to my case's rgb and fan controller, the only fans I hook to the mobo are the water cooler's fans.
    My other 6 fans are hooked to my cases fan controller.
    I just keep them on 100% and the only fans I can actually hear are my video cards, because of the custom fan settings I use with it.
    The noise isn't at all overbearing in the least bit.
    My pc stays between 30-65 degrees. Good considering it's humid in Florida most of the time.

New ROGer Array

- I shouldn't have to run my fans off other headers. I should be able to run chassis fans off the chassis 1/2/3 fan headers. Even if changing them over worked, that would mean the chassis 2/3 fan headers were faulty, and my board should still be replaced.

- Yes, the loop is full, free of air, and not leaking. If it were leaking I'd have other more serious issues. If it were full of air, temps wouldn't be stable when the fans were working correctly. If it weren't full, the pump would have issues.

ROG Member Array

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ghensai View Post
    - I shouldn't have to run my fans off other headers. I should be able to run chassis fans off the chassis 1/2/3 fan headers. Even if changing them over worked, that would mean the chassis 2/3 fan headers were faulty, and my board should still be replaced.

- Yes, the loop is full, free of air, and not leaking. If it were leaking I'd have other more serious issues. If it were full of air, temps wouldn't be stable when the fans were working correctly. If it weren't full, the pump would have issues.
    see here
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ders-shut-down

On the latest official bios 6201 I randomly get my aio pump and chassis fans shutting down, last occurrence all shutdown together.
    As per the above link it is obvious asus is not competent enough to provide a safe bios so I have put the pump on a molex adapter to prevent asus from destroying my hardware.... goodbye asus