cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702ZC lag and FPS issues with online gaming only?

Beeros
Level 7
Hello everyone.

I owned a GL702ZC just a week ago, and i notificied some issues at gaming.

For example, when i play WoW, not even the actual, I mean Vailla WoW, it lags a lot. It runs good, but at some points, or when I enter combat for example, it lags and drops the framerate around 30FPS, and than goes up again to 60. At Fortnite i have the same issue.
But when i play GTA V, I play with all graphics at ultra, and it doesn't lag a little bit.

How can this be possible. I have thougts about the HDD is broken or something like that. Has anyone a idea what it could be, or have anyone of your experimented the same problems?

EDIT: Well, I tested some things, and jump to the conclusion it only happens with online games. I tried to play GTA V online and i suffer from FPS drops, but when i play it in single player it works splendid. I tried it on Diablo III too, and in the story mode it works perfect, but when I go in online mode it starts to drop FPS too.

I tried with updating the WLAN and LAN drivers and trying the same internet connection I use for mi desktop PC, wich is a direct Ethernet connection and it doesn't give me any problems in the desktop, but in the laptop I get the same FPS issues in the online games. I tried to put the firewall off too, and the windows defender, but it doesn't help either.

Has anyone a clue what the problem can be, or have someone of your axperimented something similar?
12 REPLIES 12

deksman2
Level 8
Beeros wrote:
Hello everyone.

I owned a GL702ZC just a week ago, and i notificied some issues at gaming.

For example, when i play WoW, not even the actual, I mean Vailla WoW, it lags a lot. It runs good, but at some points, or when I enter combat for example, it lags and drops the framerate around 30FPS, and than goes up again to 60. At Fortnite i have the same issue.
But when i play GTA V, I play with all graphics at ultra, and it doesn't lag a little bit.

How can this be possible. I have thougts about the HDD is broken or something like that. Has anyone a idea what it could be, or have anyone of your experimented the same problems?

The closest that happened to my GL702ZC was when I had been testing the GPU months ago using a benchmark.
If it reached a certain temperature level (say 78 degrees Celsius), the GPU would throttle for about 5 seconds, and during that time it would drop its memory clock to minimum (at which point the temperatures would go down immediately) and then bring back up its memory clock to full speed.

I can't say I experienced this issue in gaming, but it might be indicative of a design flaw in the cooling.
The GPU is limited to 68W in total... that makes it MORE efficient than a mobile GTX 1060 6GB VRAM which is limited to 80W... and yet, for some reason, if the GPU is stressed to the maximum for an extended period of time (at least in that benchmark), it cannot seem to maintain its clocks.

That might be happening with you, but WoW is not exactly what I would call a 'demanding game'.
SW TOR for example doesn't really stress my GPU at all... the temps in it were sitting at about 60-65 degrees C, and I was running the game at High (there was no point in running it at Ultra since the differences in graphics were practically non-existent).
And Star Trek Online for instance stressed my GPU more (by about 10 degrees C) but it still behaved ok.
On initial occasion (when I first bough this laptop) and tested ST Online, I noticed similar lags that you experience.

However, I cannot help and think that this FPS issue might be connected to your internet speed dropping momentarily when you enter combat.
Fortnite is also an Online game.
GTAV for instance is not an online game, and admittedly, even I hadn't experienced FPS issues with say Rise of the Tomb Raider (even though it stressed the GPU to the maximum - I could tell because the fans were running on full blast in the game).

I think it might be a combination of several factors/possibilities:
a) Asus didn't design adequate cooling for the laptop.
b) Internet speed affected the FPS momentarily
c) it was a combination of both a) and b)
d) both of us received an early production unit which is prone to these issues (Asus replaced the motherboard on mine when I developed my first malfunction with the non-stop running fans on 100%, and they seem to have retained all other components that came with it - the SSD, HDD, RAM, Wifi card, etc... all hardware modules that were separate of the motherboard looks to have been taken out of my old motherboard and placed on the new one - which doesn't help me now because yesterday, my fans started running non-stop at 100% without any reason for them to do so, and 30 mins later, the laptop just died and refused to turn on).
This leads me to think they just yanked out the mobo, reconnected all of the original components onto it and called it a day... but one of those original components could have caused a problem in the first place and might have caused the problem again yesterday (which also seemed to have killed the laptop permanently - I'd honestly need Asus to replace the unit completely with a new one, not try to 'repair' it as there are larger risks the same problem will appear again).

I doubt the issue would have been caused by HDD damage... otherwise it would have manifested on other things... depending on where you installed them.

No, I think that Asus simply didn't design proper cooling for this laptop and there is a slow buildup of damage accumulating somewhere in the system which could have contributed to my laptops demise - and in your case, GPU briefly throttling.

Have you tried undervolting the GPU using MSI Afterburner?
The latest version allowed me to undervolt the GPU by -93mV on the core... it certainly helps in gaming keeping the noise levels down on highly demanding games.
You could try the same with the CPU using Ryzen Master.

If this continues to happen, you could try raising a support issue with Asus and tell them that other people experienced similar problems which might be indicative of bad cooling design.

deksman2 wrote:
The closest that happened to my GL702ZC was when I had been testing the GPU months ago using a benchmark.
If it reached a certain temperature level (say 78 degrees Celsius), the GPU would throttle for about 5 seconds, and during that time it would drop its memory clock to minimum (at which point the temperatures would go down immediately) and then bring back up its memory clock to full speed.

I can't say I experienced this issue in gaming, but it might be indicative of a design flaw in the cooling.
The GPU is limited to 68W in total... that makes it MORE efficient than a mobile GTX 1060 6GB VRAM which is limited to 80W... and yet, for some reason, if the GPU is stressed to the maximum for an extended period of time (at least in that benchmark), it cannot seem to maintain its clocks.

That might be happening with you, but WoW is not exactly what I would call a 'demanding game'.
SW TOR for example doesn't really stress my GPU at all... the temps in it were sitting at about 60-65 degrees C, and I was running the game at High (there was no point in running it at Ultra since the differences in graphics were practically non-existent).
And Star Trek Online for instance stressed my GPU more (by about 10 degrees C) but it still behaved ok.
On initial occasion (when I first bough this laptop) and tested ST Online, I noticed similar lags that you experience.

However, I cannot help and think that this FPS issue might be connected to your internet speed dropping momentarily when you enter combat.
Fortnite is also an Online game.
GTAV for instance is not an online game, and admittedly, even I hadn't experienced FPS issues with say Rise of the Tomb Raider (even though it stressed the GPU to the maximum - I could tell because the fans were running on full blast in the game).

I think it might be a combination of several factors/possibilities:
a) Asus didn't design adequate cooling for the laptop.
b) Internet speed affected the FPS momentarily
c) it was a combination of both a) and b)
d) both of us received an early production unit which is prone to these issues (Asus replaced the motherboard on mine when I developed my first malfunction with the non-stop running fans on 100%, and they seem to have retained all other components that came with it - the SSD, HDD, RAM, Wifi card, etc... all hardware modules that were separate of the motherboard looks to have been taken out of my old motherboard and placed on the new one - which doesn't help me now because yesterday, my fans started running non-stop at 100% without any reason for them to do so, and 30 mins later, the laptop just died and refused to turn on).
This leads me to think they just yanked out the mobo, reconnected all of the original components onto it and called it a day... but one of those original components could have caused a problem in the first place and might have caused the problem again yesterday (which also seemed to have killed the laptop permanently - I'd honestly need Asus to replace the unit completely with a new one, not try to 'repair' it as there are larger risks the same problem will appear again).

I doubt the issue would have been caused by HDD damage... otherwise it would have manifested on other things... depending on where you installed them.

No, I think that Asus simply didn't design proper cooling for this laptop and there is a slow buildup of damage accumulating somewhere in the system which could have contributed to my laptops demise - and in your case, GPU briefly throttling.

Have you tried undervolting the GPU using MSI Afterburner?
The latest version allowed me to undervolt the GPU by -93mV on the core... it certainly helps in gaming keeping the noise levels down on highly demanding games.
You could try the same with the CPU using Ryzen Master.

If this continues to happen, you could try raising a support issue with Asus and tell them that other people experienced similar problems which might be indicative of bad cooling design.

I must have the revised fixed version.

AgentHunk wrote:
I must have the revised fixed version.

If that's the case, I'd need to include this into my notes for the RMA.
I don't want them to 'repair' it by simply replacing the motherboard and keep everything else as is.
I'd want a complete system replacement, or at the very least, replace the motherboard, cooling assembly and Ryen 1700 with better silicon quality... the one in my laptop has relatively bad quality silicon

Well, I tested some things, and jump to the conclusion it only happens with online games. I tried to play GTA V online and i suffer from FPS drops, but when i play it in single player it works splendid. I tried it on Diablo III too, and in the story mode it works perfect, but when I go in online mode it starts to drop FPS too.

I tried with updating the WLAN and LAN drivers and trying the same internet connection I use for mi desktop PC, wich is a direct Ethernet connection and it doesn't give me any problems in the desktop, but in the laptop I get the same FPS issues in the online games. I tried to put the firewall off too, and the windows defender, but it doesn't help either.

Has anyone a clue what the problem can be, or have someone of your axperimented something similar?

Has no one an idea about it?

I tried practicaly everything I could do, but the problem persists.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Install MSI afterburner and keep monitoring the frequency/usage of the GPU and CPU when you get the lag spikes. Usually online games (specially GTA online) are more taxing on the CPU, maybe it is thermal throttling.

I was monitoring the tempratures in the Asus rog gaming center, and it was ok. In WoW it even get over the 60 degrees.

Beeros wrote:
I was monitoring the tempratures in the Asus rog gaming center, and it was ok. In WoW it even get over the 60 degrees.

What about CPU and GPU frequencies? You need logging or an on screen display for that, alt tabbing out of the game will give you totally different readings.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Install MSI afterburner and keep monitoring the frequency/usage of the GPU and CPU when you get the lag spikes. Usually online games (specially GTA online) are more taxing on the CPU, maybe it is thermal throttling.

Temps aren't really a problem with GL702ZC as a whole - they seem to be better than on other comparable hardware in the ROG line that have Intel/NV hardware.
But Asus did mess up the cooling assembly as I think there might be waste heat building elsewhere in the system which could eventually damage the motherboard.

As for MSI undervolting... not for monitoring frequencies, but rather for undervolting.
It's always good to drop the voltage usage and maximize efficiency of the GPU as a whole.

Beeros, I might have an idea.

Try limiting your FPS in the drivers through Chill.
Create a specific profile for the game you wish to play nline and instruct the driver to limit the FPS to lets say 60 (besides, there's no point in allowing the GPU to render more than that because the display panel is limited to 60HZ.... so, anything above 60FPS would be wasted frames effectively).

I usually run the games on High settings and 1080p.
Even most modern ones seem to behave ok on those settings.

Also make sure to update your BIOS (from Asus website) and GPU/chipset drivers (from AMD website - for desktop B350 and RX580) to latest versions, and of course, make sure Freesync is on too.

You can also use MSI afterburner to undervolt your GPU... mine usually managed -93mV on the core.
The CPU was able to run at 3.2GhZ across all cores at 0.985V (using Ryzen Master).