cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix GL702ZC Radeon Driver messed up my system to where Restore did not work.

AgentHunk
Level 8
Before all this I made several restore points when I see system is nominal and normal and I delete them when days go by and install more apps and stuff that did not exist before...I deleted a restore point before the install of the driver by minutes and made another one.

I uninstalled malwarebytes and turned off antivirus windows defender before I ran manual restore point.

I made a manual restore point before I installed radeon 18.8.1 and installed the driver and restarted when prompted and when I could not see amd radeon in right click display and I went to restore point....

even after all the failed attempts it still says could not access one file and you must check if anti virus is off....

I did ddu and and now reinstalling drivers through windows update.

I do not understand why the recent update did not work for my ROG.
4 REPLIES 4

RemusM
Level 9
It's not very clear what you did and why, but it's always a good idea to use the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility
before trying anything else:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

RemusM wrote:
It's not very clear what you did and why, but it's always a good idea to use the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility
before trying anything else:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

I installed radeon 18.7.1 and it ran fine for a few weeks..then i got notification for 18.8.1 i installed when prompted and it finished and i restarted then I logged in and I see no radeon menu in display right click menu.

so,I went to restore and it failed..then I turned off antivirus and firewall..and still would not work...then I used DDU and reinstalled through windows 10 update.
and downloaded asus driver chipset again from webpage and back at square one again.

AgentHunk wrote:
I installed radeon 18.7.1 and it ran fine for a few weeks..then i got notification for 18.8.1 i installed when prompted and it finished and i restarted then I logged in and I see no radeon menu in display right click menu.

so,I went to restore and it failed..then I turned off antivirus and firewall..and still would not work...then I used DDU and reinstalled through windows 10 update.
and downloaded asus driver chipset again from webpage and back at square one again.

Its' not you or AMD Radeon drivers that caused the problem.
The problem was created by Asus most likely.

The restore partition never worked properly when I got my GL702ZC for the first time (freesync didn't work with new drivers, so I tried to restore the thing to factory)... but the setup reached 40% and then it just produced an error message and undid the restore.

After I installed the Fall Creator update of Windows 10, the factory reset couldn't even see/access the partition with the image file.

In the end, I just did a clean Windows install and that was it.
No more software issues, and everything was running as it should.

I suspect that Asus messed things up by using an outdated method on a modern OS which wasn't fully compatible.
Actually, the only way I could access factory reset (before it failed) was through a Asus utility which I had to run via Windows... that way it automatically restarted and gave me the option to factory reset the machine... but as I said, the procedure reached 40% and then produced an error.

My OS was giving me issues with not being able to produce save files from games or software like 3d Studio Max.
So, I concluded my only (and most viable) option was to do a clean install.
I did that and the problems that existed evaporated.

stealth2920
Level 7
Not a lot of people use system restore much any more. It is glitchy at best. Most will recommend Macrium reflect free. You can schedule auto backups so anytime there are any issues that you can't fix, you can reinstall to the last backup in a few minutes. Not sure what happened with your current problem but with an image backup you don't have to waste time figuring out if in fact you ever do.