cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702ZC completely died last night

deksman2
Level 8
Hey guys... my GL702ZC died last night.
I was doing some light work on it (browsing and watching a video in Potplayer).. so the system wasn't stressed.
Suddenly, the fans started spinning at 100%.
I tried shutting the system down and turning it back on... but the fans simply went to 100% the moment the system started up loading.

And 30 mins later (right in the middle of me transferring files to my external HDD), I heard a small pop and the laptop just died.
It refused to power up since then.
It's completely dead.

This is the second time I experienced a similar problem.
The first time it happened was 1 month after I bought the laptop. I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda and the fans ramped up to 100% and never cycled down.
Back then, the laptop continued to function though just the fans were constantly running at 100% and giving me a headache due to the noise.... and was able to back up my stuff to the external drive before RMA-ing it.

Asus simply replaced the motherboard but couldn't tell me what caused the problem.

Now, 10 months later, I experience first the same problem, and 30 mins later the laptop completely dies.

I don't want Asus to repair it.
I want a replacement.
This is obviously going to be a pain and the issue will likely keep repeating itself as the unit probably has a design flaw (cooling, or something else on the motherboard or another component which is weak and eventually dies).

Only next time, if this happens outside the warranty, I wouldn't have an option to repair it without paying a hefty sum of money.

I'm still well within the warranty (got it for 2 years), but I cannot afford to wait for a month for the repairs.
Is there a way Asus can send me a replacement unit?
This existing one also had an issue with the audio producing buckling noise.

If someone can help advising me better on how to deal with Asus this time around, please help me.
8 REPLIES 8

McCoy
Level 8
I think both GL702/502 series has SEVERAL cooling system flaws:
- exhaust fan throw air into display cover
- heat capacity is not enough to handle CPU + GPU workload within standart thermal package
- air intake holes are very small, there is not enough air throughput
- due previous flaw, there is no laminar air flow inside the chassis. An laptop heating itself, boiling hot air within and eating dust.

I have a very similar case with my GL502VSK, ASUS RMA is VERY painful and long process, and ...

NO! They won't send you replacement. In my case they spent 50+ days ONLY TO APPROVE REPLACEMENT. Currently it's 63 day. They are not answering me, and they said that i need to wait 3-4 weeks MORE.

So, be aware that it might take 90+ days. I hope it will be much faster.

Please check my case: ASUS RMA Nightmare

McCoy wrote:
I think both GL702/502 series has SEVERAL cooling system flaws:
- exhaust fan throw air into display cover
- heat capacity is not enough to handle CPU + GPU workload within standart thermal package
- air intake holes are very small, there is not enough air throughput
- due previous flaw, there is no laminar air flow inside the chassis. An laptop heating itself, boiling hot air within and eating dust.

I have a very similar case with my GL502VSK, ASUS RMA is VERY painful and long process, and ...

NO! They won't send you replacement. In my case they spent 50+ days ONLY TO APPROVE REPLACEMENT. Currently it's 63 day. They are not answering me, and they said that i need to wait 3-4 weeks MORE.

So, be aware that it might take 90+ days. I hope it will be much faster.

Please check my case: ASUS RMA Nightmare

This is crazy! They cannot do that! You should sue them to a Consumer Association!

Spirery1
Level 7
ASUS RMA is a nightmare my G752VY is a year old tomorrow always overheated can't game on it 5 RMA's later and many many phone calls emails its been a nightmare from the start.Just got my email have to send it to asus in Netherlands to test it then they will replace or refund so by the time i do get my laptop back or my money im looking at 15 months payed 1,399for this brick and its never worked right out the box.UK has to have the worse customer service i have ever seen i could spit fire im that soding mad.

Spirery1 wrote:
ASUS RMA is a nightmare my G752VY is a year old tomorrow always overheated can't game on it 5 RMA's later and many many phone calls emails its been a nightmare from the start.Just got my email have to send it to asus in Netherlands to test it then they will replace or refund so by the time i do get my laptop back or my money im looking at 15 months payed 1,399for this brick and its never worked right out the box.UK has to have the worse customer service i have ever seen i could spit fire im that soding mad.

I was told by several Asus employees and the reseller who sold me the GL702ZC that Asus would only consider refunding or replacing the laptop after third or 4th failed RMA attempt (which is pointless if they don't do anything to address the cause of the problem - which is exactly what they did the last time).

I really don't like this.
If I had known Asus was known for these issues and bad general quality, I'd have avoided them and waited for another laptop with all AMD hardware.

Acer is the only one coming out with another all AMD laptop which is comparable or more powerful in comparison to GL702ZC... but that one would be much more expensive (about £850 more) because it would have Vega 56 in it (and ryzen refresh).

Spirery1 wrote:

You're wrong! Russian is RMA is much worse than UK!!! 64 days!!!

xeromist
OK, OK, let's not get carried away. This is deksman's thread not a competition.

@deksman: I'm not an ASUS employee but yes that is the standard practice. The warranty terms say something to the effect of 'ASUS will repair or replace your product at its discretion' which almost always begins with several repair attempts for notebooks. That's not unusual though. I sent a Lenovo laptop in for service and only the faulty component was swapped out.

Regarding the issue, it sounds different to me. The first time it was merely a loss of fan control but now it's not turning on at all which is far more serious. Full speed is often the default for fans so it can be caused by many different and unrelated issues. That pop could have been a capacitor in the power circuit dying.

At this point if it is under warranty you really should send it in. It does not sound like something you can repair yourself and if you take it to an independent shop they will charge you for the work and ASUS will not warranty someone else's work.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

scrufy
Level 7
To get back on topic, the issue you are describing sounds a lot to me like a bad temp sensor.

If one did go bad depending on if it went by opening or shorting the temp would be -limit or +limit.

Now I'm an EE but I'm not familiar with how Asus codes their stuff. If I were doing it I'd put a reasonability alarm point somewhere between the max expected and the sensor having a max possible read.

If a temp sensor went it would cause the fans to go max and the cpu to start throttling. Since the sensor read is wrong it would never go lower and I think the system would after a set time probably shut itself off. Then when you try and start it there would be nothing because of the sensor either fails in POST or the system sees it's to hot and doesn't try to run.

As for Asus quality, I've had a G75VW, G751JY, and now a G703 and I have never had a hardware failure.
I'm not really thrilled with Asus anymore because the other issues though.

scrufy wrote:
To get back on topic, the issue you are describing sounds a lot to me like a bad temp sensor.

If one did go bad depending on if it went by opening or shorting the temp would be -limit or +limit.

Now I'm an EE but I'm not familiar with how Asus codes their stuff. If I were doing it I'd put a reasonability alarm point somewhere between the max expected and the sensor having a max possible read.

If a temp sensor went it would cause the fans to go max and the cpu to start throttling. Since the sensor read is wrong it would never go lower and I think the system would after a set time probably shut itself off. Then when you try and start it there would be nothing because of the sensor either fails in POST or the system sees it's to hot and doesn't try to run.

As for Asus quality, I've had a G75VW, G751JY, and now a G703 and I have never had a hardware failure.
I'm not really thrilled with Asus anymore because the other issues though.

Asus might have under-designed the cooling in the early production of this laptop.
I got mine almost as soon as it became available.
Asus apparently did modify the cooling assembly in the interim, but when mine was undergoing repairs the first time around, they never upgraded the cooling assembly.

There were other issues that popped up with the laptop since I got it... crackling/vibrating sound coming from the speakers (other early adopters had the same problem), and some other stuff that was relatively minor... but I wanted to name as many faults as possible (And they ARE valid) so that Asus would seriously consider a replacement with a recently produced version.

We'll see how the RMA goes.