cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GL703GM-NS73 keeps overheating and freezing

nighthawk888
Level 7
Hi all, I am having a lot of problems with my brand new Strix Scar laptop overheating. It crashes when web browsing sometimes, especially when visiting a buggy page causing CPU utilization to increase and the page to hang, and I am using the laptop on my lap. It especially crashes when gaming, within 5 minutes when using the laptop on a desk without a cooling pad playing Fallout 4, and within 15 minutes when using a laptop cooling pad (which I just purchased to try to solve this issue). I've already tried maxing the fan speed using the Asus Gaming Center utility and turning the fan control to Overboost.

I can probably return the laptop if I act quickly. I don't have time to learn how to replace the thermal paste for the CPU. What options do I have? Would ASUS upgrade the thermal paste if I RMA'd it?

My hardware is listed below:

8th-Gen Intel Core i7-8750H processor. 6 cores, up to 3.9 GHz (Boost clock)
GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB graphics
120 Hz 17.3" Full HD display

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

nighthawk888
Level 7
Overheating definitely freezes the laptop, but what is strange is the web browsing on Chrome that crashes it. I was able to replicate the issue this morning when I visited a site that wanted to send me notifications. When the box popped up, the entire system froze. I was running Prime95 at the time to try to see what was going on with my system but on the easiest stress testing mode things seemed stable until that happened.

Talked to ASUS tech support yesterday who suggested I "hard reset" it, which basically means first you turn the computer off, then you hold down the power button for 60 seconds while it is unplugged. The keyboard lights stay on and the fan goes full blast while you do this. Then you plug the computer back in and start it up. Then go to the bios and reset the bios to default settings.

After following these steps I have not had issues with the computer crashing for the past 24 hours which is great. I have been able to run Fallout 4 without any overheating/freezing issues. My guess is that there was some corrupted memory value... maybe something to do with it being brand new. I'm not really sure what this did to fix the problem, but everything works great now.

nighthawk888 wrote:
Talked to ASUS tech support yesterday who suggested I "hard reset" it, which basically means first you turn the computer off, then you hold down the power button for 60 seconds while it is unplugged. The keyboard lights stay on and the fan goes full blast while you do this. Then you plug the computer back in and start it up. Then go to the bios and reset the bios to default settings.

After following these steps I have not had issues with the computer crashing for the past 24 hours which is great. I have been able to run Fallout 4 without any overheating/freezing issues. My guess is that there was some corrupted memory value... maybe something to do with it being brand new. I'm not really sure what this did to fix the problem, but everything works great now.

I JUST DID THIS AND MY DAW WENT FROM 9% Processor usage to 0.9%!!

Thanks you

PhilG55vw
Level 9
I have the G703GI so your post caught my eye. Glad you got the issues resolved. Good post and follow up with fix.

Hey, I'm using a similar laptop, but just with 15" version. I'm also experienced random system crashes when browsing with chrome. Btw while gaming, I'm fine (except the fans are very loud), such games as Path of Exile or DivinityOS2 are ok, w/o any freezes

MinRam
Level 7
I have GL703GM-DS74 for less than a year, recently it started shutting down randomly, yesterday after I came back from work (i carry my laptop to work) and tried to turn it on it was shutting down immediately, then trying to turn on by itself and shutting down again, repeated that couple of times. I left it to sit for a while, then turned it back on, immediately went to ROG gaming center app to check the temperature, it seemed unreasonable to overheat right after turning it on and the temperature was showing around 60. so I closed it and went back to browse the internet. after a minute or so computer shut down again, then spend next 2 hours trying to turn it back on while googling for solutions, did hard reset couple of times. eventually, I managed to turn it on and it stayed on to boot, went back to the ROG gaming center and this time looked more closely, then I noticed
the temperature was jumping really quickly, from 60 to 80-90 and up without computer doing anything my fan settings were on silent, I switched it to balanced, and that seems has solved the problem for now. it is still strange that temperature would change so quickly without a laptop having any load. I'll keep observing it, I suspect that heatsink got loose or something.
p.s. the laptop has never overheated while playing games, only while on a browser and right after turning it on

MinRam wrote:
I have GL703GM-DS74 for less than a year...

Me again. yesterday it happened again.
fans have been on "balanced" since the first incident. it is quite noisy but hey as long as it works.
this time I was playing WoW classic
could not turn on the computer back on, after a few attempts I gave up and went to bed.

in the morning I've noticed that the computer was still off but the power button had the light on when I touched the top it was still warm, even tho none of the fans were spinning.

I choked it until everything went dark and tried to turn it on, it worked at the first try and been working since.

I can't afford to bring this laptop to the service much less replacing the motherboard or whatnot...
all I can do is hope for the best that it won't happen again.

Try to use your computer on a table and in a dry place you will not get the problem again.

Sava_Ford
Level 7
+1 do that