cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspected dead motherboard, or something else?

magnusv
Level 7
I’m building a new system right now, I decided to go with the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G Gaming WIFI (AC) motherboard.
CPU I7 8700K
EVGA 750 GQ 750W
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Gray DDR4 2666MHz 2x8GB
Noctua NH-D15S cooler.

I mounted everything in the case but didn’t get a boot, so I started stripping the system down. The thing that happens when I turn on the power is that the colored led in the lower right corner of the board lights up in different color. But then nothing, when I press the start button ( or shortcut the start pins ). No fan spin up att all, no error message nothing. The PSU fan doesn’t even start.

I tried to remove everything including CPU to try to boot and at least get the status LED to show som error, but nothing.

I tried the PSU in another computer where it’s working fine, so I think I can rule that one out. I don’t have any friend or so with any computer gears so I can’t just easily swap things out.

Anyone with any suggestions? I’m suspecting that the motherboard is damaged in some way, would’nt I expect at least a POST test and fan spin up even without CPU, Memory etc? At the moment it's no difference if everything is installed or nothing on the motherboard anyway.

EDIT: Just tested the USB ports, I actually got power in them to.

Kind Regards
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hi magnusv

Welcome to the ROG forum.

You'll need a cpu and memory for it to post, get those installed and give it a try, you can use the onboard graphics if you don't have a gpu.

Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan header.

Thanks for quick reply!
I tried both with and without that and it makes no difference, absolutely nothing happens when I try to power up.
This is the state right now with everything connected.

Nate152
Ok, thank you for the pics.

Double check the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan header.

Your motherboard should have come with a Q-Connecter, don't know if it would make a difference but you could try using it.

Phillyflyer
Level 10
With the 8 pin CPU plus 24 pin power connections connected firmly to the board and the cpu fan connected to the fan header alone..with or without memory or graphics card.....the board should try to post....just will get errors during the boot cycle...if your getting power to the board when just plugged in and and it fails to even attempt to boot ...I would be more inclined to think your board has a power issue.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Thanks for the replies so far.
I didn’t receive any q connector so can’t try that.

Yes the 8 pin cpu is connected and reconnected several times.
So is the cpu fan, also tried alternative fan for the cpu cooler to rule that out.

Anyone familiar with the powerstructure of the motherboard, since I have the aura sync and usb power working at least something is receiving power.

Is that on like a separate circuit from other parts?

If it would be the cpu, what would the symptoms be, would it post and give me the cpu light?

Right now no difference in behavior with or without the cpu installed. It’s like the circuit for the start jumpers are dead, since I haven’t received any spiup of any fans neither from motherboard or on the psu.

I guess next step is to buy a new motherboard and then try to send this one back, therefore it would be nice if I could rule out the cpu being the problem or confirm it’s definitely something wrong with the motherboard.

Phillyflyer
Level 10
With the CPU in the socket you should get some attempt as the board trying to post and will get a series of beeps or led code indicating a CPU fault...board...as far as I know...will do nothing without CPU in socket....you would only be able to flash a bios without CPU.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Ok thanks, I think I will take the chance and buy a new motherboard then to test if that's the problem. I realised that my RAM memory isn't in the supported list on the ASUS website. However on the Crucial website it says supported.

"Ballistix Sport LT Gray 8GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM"
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/rog-strix-z370-g-gaming-%28wi-fi-ac%29/CT11571471

Anyway i guess the ram should allow post.

I think I will buy a new board today and if that doesn't work I plan to buy the cheapest Intel processor for socket 1151-2.
After that I know which part to send back hopefully.

I'm very thankful for all answers so far! 🙂

emsir
Level 8
magnusv wrote:
I’m building a new system right now, I decided to go with the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G Gaming WIFI (AC) motherboard.
CPU I7 8700K
EVGA 750 GQ 750W
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Gray DDR4 2666MHz 2x8GB
Noctua NH-D15S cooler.

I mounted everything in the case but didn’t get a boot, so I started stripping the system down. The thing that happens when I turn on the power is that the colored led in the lower right corner of the board lights up in different color. But then nothing, when I press the start button ( or shortcut the start pins ). No fan spin up att all, no error message nothing. The PSU fan doesn’t even start.

I tried to remove everything including CPU to try to boot and at least get the status LED to show som error, but nothing. You don't solve problems by conecting your PSU to another computer. The problem is on your side, not another computer. So take another PSU and connect it to your board. That's how to eliminate what causes the problem.

I tried the PSU in another computer where it’s working fine, so I think I can rule that one out. I don’t have any friend or so with any computer gears so I can’t just easily swap things out.

Anyone with any suggestions? I’m suspecting that the motherboard is damaged in some way, would’nt I expect at least a POST test and fan spin up even without CPU, Memory etc? At the moment it's no difference if everything is installed or nothing on the motherboard anyway.

EDIT: Just tested the USB ports, I actually got power in them to.

Kind Regards

Try another power supply. To me it sounds like your PSU is defective. You don't solve problems by connecting your PSU to another computer.....the problem is on your side , not another computer. You don't test parts on another computer. You test parts on the computer with problem. So take another PSU and connect to your motherboard that won't boot.

I bought a new motherboard today and it's booting as expected. I will now start the process of RMA the old one.
Thanks for all help! 🙂