Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    51

    Maximus X Hero (Wifi) - 40mm Fan Bracket - Meant to be Bent?

    The 40mm fan bracket that came with my X Hero seems to be bent in two parts - please see the pics. I can't quite tell if it's meant to be bent like this so the fan sits at a slightly jaunty angle, or if it's just got bent during packaging or shipping. It appears pretty easy to bend back to right angles at all the joins if I wanted to, but I don't want to do that if it's meant to be a little off. EDIT: Not sure why the post rotated my pics 90degrees: here's the imgur link for horizontal https://imgur.com/a/uWgDDdo

    Many thanks!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3010.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	434.6 KB 
ID:	75261
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3011.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	482.2 KB 
ID:	75262

  2. #2
    Moderator Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by mrvortep View Post
    The 40mm fan bracket that came with my X Hero seems to be bent in two parts - please see the pics. I can't quite tell if it's meant to be bent like this so the fan sits at a slightly jaunty angle, or if it's just got bent during packaging or shipping. It appears pretty easy to bend back to right angles at all the joins if I wanted to, but I don't want to do that if it's meant to be a little off. EDIT: Not sure why the post rotated my pics 90degrees: here's the imgur link for horizontal https://imgur.com/a/uWgDDdo

    Many thanks!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3010.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	434.6 KB 
ID:	75261
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3011.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	482.2 KB 
ID:	75262



    My name is Adrian from the ASUS Customer Loyalty Team here at our North America Corporate Office. If you would allow, it would be more than glad to help provide resolution to this case. I've verified your part with ours, and yours is just about less than 5° off. You can indeed bend it to your style, but just don't abruptly bend it. If any issues arise with the functionality of your motherboard, you can contact me at cl-adrian@asus.com.

    ​Thank you for choosing ASUS!

    Best Regards,
    Adrian
    ASUS Customer Loyalty – US Support

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    51

    Hi Adrian

    Thanks for the quick response. I'm also a little confused as to which mounting hole you're meant to use for this bracket - as the instruction manual and the packaging for the bracket show different holes to be used. Further, if you used the hole shown in the instruction manual the fan would just be blowing straight onto the top of the I/O shield, which is not the part it's supposed to be cooling (the VRMs). Would you mind please checking in and letting me know which mounting hole this fan bracket is supposed to be mounted on? Many thanks again!

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Carlyle2020 PC Specs
    Carlyle2020 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI APEX
    Processorgaming9900ks@5.2/avx 0/ adaptive vcore / 1.35+0.020 offs/LLC5/ac ll 0.01/TVB off/power saving on
    Memory (part number)Gskill 4400 CL16 /65k r /65k w / 60k c
    Graphics Card #13080 ftw ultra /pads on backplate
    Sound CardXonar STXII mods:3xLME 49720NA
    MonitorLG 38GL950G / -HDR / +madVR
    Storage #12TB 970evo plus nvme
    Storage #21TB 960evo nvme +2x 1tb evo 860 hw-sata-raid
    CPU Coolerarctic freezer II 280
    CaseUnique Silverstone FT2 dampened up the wazoo V2.0
    Power SupplySeasonic TX-850
    Keyboard Cherry KC 1000 on top of a cherry MX1 for ergonomics :)
    Mouse MX Master 3
    Headset Sennheiser PC360 + Philips X2HR
    Headset/Speakers A250 / cause LG was stingy
    OS Win 10 64bit
    Network Routeryeah right...
    Accessory #1 Silverstone EBA01 headphone stand / black
    Accessory #2 radio Keyfob to turn on and off
    Accessory #3 4 bay fantec /10tb red/+scrap

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    154

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asus Maximus VRM Lüfterhalterung passt unter NHD14.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	75267
    The fan bracket with my fan does keep the VRM needlessly under 50 degree at full load
    Last edited by Carlyle2020; 08-17-2018 at 07:35 PM.

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    51

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlyle2020 View Post
    It really is blowing on those useless metall things on top of the VRMs

    What gives
    Did you try putting the bracket+fan on the mounting hole just to the left of the DRAM? I thought this position might actually make the fan point a little more towards the VRMs at least...?

  6. #6
    Moderator Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by mrvortep View Post
    Hi Adrian

    Thanks for the quick response. I'm also a little confused as to which mounting hole you're meant to use for this bracket - as the instruction manual and the packaging for the bracket show different holes to be used. Further, if you used the hole shown in the instruction manual the fan would just be blowing straight onto the top of the I/O shield, which is not the part it's supposed to be cooling (the VRMs). Would you mind please checking in and letting me know which mounting hole this fan bracket is supposed to be mounted on? Many thanks again!
    Hi mrvortep,

    No worries, the marketed use for the bracket is to cool the VRMs, but from i've seen online others have used it to cool M.2 drives as well, or create better airflow behind the motherboard where you mount your CPU. You also can bend the bracket to give a certain spot more air flow but that's all preferences, but the purpose is to generate better airflow towards the top right of the motherboard where heat tends to build up, as the VRMs should be located both on top and to the left of the CPU.

    Best Regards,
    Adrian
    ASUS Customer Loyalty – US Support

  7. #7
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    51

    Quote Originally Posted by cl-Adrian@asus View Post
    Hi mrvortep,

    No worries, the marketed use for the bracket is to cool the VRMs, but from i've seen online others have used it to cool M.2 drives as well, or create better airflow behind the motherboard where you mount your CPU. You also can bend the bracket to give a certain spot more air flow but that's all preferences, but the purpose is to generate better airflow towards the top right of the motherboard where heat tends to build up, as the VRMs should be located both on top and to the left of the CPU.

    Best Regards,
    Adrian
    ASUS Customer Loyalty – US Support
    Thanks Adrian but I'm still a little confused. If I want to use the bracket/fan to cool the VRMs, which mounting hole should I use in the Maximus X Hero?

    1. The mounting hole at the top-left corner of the motherboard, right in the corner next to the I/O shield; OR
    2. The mounting hole at the top edge, just right of center above and slightly left of the DIMMs?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by mrvortep; 08-18-2018 at 06:05 AM.

  8. #8
    Moderator Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by mrvortep View Post
    Thanks Adrian but I'm still a little confused. If I want to use the bracket/fan to cool the VRMs, which mounting hole should I use in the Maximus X Hero?

    1. The mounting hole at the top-left corner of the motherboard, right in the corner next to the I/O shield; OR
    2. The mounting hole at the top edge, just right of center above and slightly left of the DIMMs?

    Thanks!
    Sorry for the delay mrvortep,

    Personally i would place your fan right at:

    "1. The mounting hole at the top-left corner of the motherboard, right in the corner next to the I/O shield;"

    Just because, it would generate an even amount of airflow to both side of the VRMs.

  9. #9
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    51

    Quote Originally Posted by cl-Adrian@asus View Post
    Sorry for the delay mrvortep,

    Personally i would place your fan right at:

    "1. The mounting hole at the top-left corner of the motherboard, right in the corner next to the I/O shield;"

    Just because, it would generate an even amount of airflow to both side of the VRMs.
    Great, thank you very much Adrian, that's just what I was after.

  10. #10
    Moderator Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by mrvortep View Post
    Great, thank you very much Adrian, that's just what I was after.
    No problem, but if you happen to run into heating issue in a specified location make no hesitation to make adjustments.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •