Threaded View

ROG Member Array

[Maximus VII Ranger] solving Micro Stutter with Bios update?

Dear ROG community,

Two days ago I upgraded my old 770 to a new Gtx 1070. Before putting the card in I made sure I properly uninstalled my nvidia driver in safe mode with 'DDU'. After installing the latest nvidia driver I noticed that I suffered from micro stutter which did not occur before at all with the Gtx 770. I noticed the micro stutter happened in all the games I tried. I expected it to be a driver issue and tried multiple Nvidia drivers, from the latest to older ones which were rumored to not have micro stutters. None of the ones I tried solved my problem until I tried the 381.89 version which ironically was the one used with the older GTX 770. These are the drivers I have tried so far:

- 398.82, 398.36
    - 398.11, 397.93
    - 397.64, 391.35
    - 391.24 ,388.43
    - 388.31, 388.00, 385.69

Suspecting it might be a hardware issue with the GPU i tried benchmarks and stresstests (Heaven 4.0, Firestrike & Furmark). I did these test under stock GPU values. The results were all in line with others who have the same card and/or setup. The games I tested the separate drivers in were:

- Kingdom Come Deliverance (70-90 fps)
    - Counter strike: Global Offensive (241 fps locked)
    - Grand Theft Auto 5 (90-120 fps)
    - Player Unknown's Battlegrounds (100-120fps)
    - Borderlands 2 (241 fps locked)
    - Witcher 3 (60-75fps)

The tests were done with my CPU & Ram overclocked and with everything at default/stock values did made no difference in the micro stutters. I also tried to up the Core voltage & Powerlimit to the maximum level in Msi Afterburner while downclocking the Core clock & Memory clock by -100. This also did not help. I also tried the following in the Nvidia control panel:

- Pre rendered frames 1-5
    - Shader cache on/off
    - Vsync is always off

At this point I am not sure whether it's a hardware fault due to the stresstests and benchmarks being in line with normal results. I am also not quite certain if its a driver issue seeing there is one driver version where the problem doesn't happen (381.89). After all these tests I was wondering if a bios update would potentially help me. With that being said, would a motherboard update potentially hurt? According to CPU-z my current bios version is: 2101 (12/12/2014)

My hardware is:
    i5 4690k
    16 GB ddr3 (1600mhz)
    SSD (all tested games & OS are installed on this SSD)

Benq xl2420t 120hz screen (All tests were done with only this monitor attached. Secondary monitor 's hdmi cable was out and powered off)

Last edited by iAmPengu; 08-17-2018 at 01:28 PM.