cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drainage during shutdown in GL703GE

Patricko
Level 7
Hey there all!

I just bought my GL703GE laptop few days ago and I have small problem.
I downloaded this ASUS application that let's you choose battery charing mode.
I've chosen the full economic mode, that stays at 60% all the time because I'm using charger almost all the time.

The problem is, that when my computer is shutdown battery wears off pretty fast. After the night, when I'm turning it on there is like 40% left (from 60%).
Is that normal? I don't think that new laptop should be draining battery so hard during shutdown. And I know I'm shutting it down, it's not hibernating or in sleep mode.

I'm using SSD for main drive, exactly the Samsung 970 EVO 500GB version and everything goes really fast. Computer is turning on from zero to desktop in like 10 seconds max and shutting down even faster. But I doubt that have anything to do with battery drainage?

If someone had similar problem or know what's up please let me know!

Cheers!
7 REPLIES 7

Lu_GRU
Level 9
This depends by meaning of "shutdown", by this I mean:

- closing lid -> sleep
- windows 10 "shut down" (if fast start, aka. fast boot, hybrid boots etc. enabled) -> hybrid shutdown
- (not default !!!) windows 10 "shut down" (if fast startup disabled) -> cold shutdown (actual shut down)

By default two first options happens. Now hybrid shutdown is mix of cold and hibernate and, depending on actual hardware, it can still keep some devices, like RAM, powered in low power states.
To disable "hybrid shutdown" go to power configuration and disable fast start (or google how to do this).

I have 5 laptops (2 mac) and battery in all of them looses it's charge over time but, in my case, I see like 5-10% over month or two of inactivity.
Worth checking out is also BIOS, see if You have settings that allow to change battery modes i.e. on my Dell XPS I can set up battery to be not charged while on AC and if battery is above 80% (IIRC AC mode it was called), same on mac.

If it's not issue with fast boot then update BIOS and if that don't help contact service.

Patricko
Level 7
Okey, there was "Fast Boot" enabled in the BIOS menu, so I disabled it.
But battery is still draining fast when laptop is shutted down., I see no difference to be honest after turning it down.
I don't think it's hardware problem, because when I bought laptop everything was fine.

Are there some options inside Windows 10 that I should turn off?
Or maybe it's this application fault, where you choose charging method (currently it stays at 60%).

Lu_GRU
Level 9
@Patricko
ere is one of top sites that pop up when typping in google "windows 10 turn off fast start":

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

You can see if FastStart is disabled or not by looking in TaskManager (keyboard shortcut ESC + SHIFT + CTR), Performance tab, bottom "Up time" note that time -> restart -> if FastStart is disabled it will now show 00:00:0X (few seconds basically) if not it will increase that time by amount of time that device was "shut down".

Just for clarification, You do use AC, turn off device (while AC is still powering Laptop) open up morning and battery is now at 40%?

But indeed when You disable FastStart in Windows then it should drain very little when laptop is shutdown (doesn't matter if not on AC).

FYI, I purchased a ROG Strix GL703GE-IS74 on 5/11/2018. Only four or five times have I run on battery power just to check it out. Other than that it always remains plugged in. I never lose any battery charge, never, always 100%. Two weeks ago I installed the Asus battery health charging app. The laptop maintains 60% never drops! However it charges while on lock screen so using the app it charges one or two percent every day or two if I don't immediately log in to windows. To make a long story short I've played with various settings and various power plans and never had any battery drain while shut down. ( One time I left the laptop shutdown without power cord plugged in for about a hour and a half, never lost battery charge) Currently I run a Best performance power plan everything on and performance settings, I leave the bios to fast start (default); but turn off windows software fast start.

Patricko
Level 7
It's me again.

I've turned off laptop for couple of days. I disconnected power cable, but internet cable and mouse was still in (I don't know if it has any impact).
After those couple of days, my laptop was completely drained, it wasn't even turning on, I had to plug in power cord to be able to turn it on.
I have Fast Boot in BIOS enabled and Fast Start in Windows disabled all the time. There are also some additional setups in BIOS, like Virtual something, but I doubt it has any impact on battery when laptop is turned off?

Did you try do disable both Fast Boot from the BIOS, and Fast Start from Windows? Keep them off at all times and try again.

You don't need neither of the two since you already got an SSD which is fast enough to dismiss these two options.

Both options don't work well with Asus laptops from my experience.

davemon50
Level 11
Make sure you don't have anything plugged into USB ports that have a lighting bolt on them. They tend to use power all the time even when the laptop is off since they are used in standby mode.
Davemon50