cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All of the Asus ROG laptops with 17.3" 120 hz screen are not working correctly

Tindreal
Level 7
Issue:
The issue was that when the camera is moving , textures in the background got a black ghosting effect on their edges+the contrast of the screen changed to a too high level. (Even if the camera is automatic like in FireStrike). I have also noticed frame skipping.

This issue can cause nausea and headache.

I have tried recording it with comparison screenshots at the end (2 screenshots made while moving the camera):

https://youtu.be/UcF7jE8HY28

The cause of the problem is G-Sync , however G-Sync will only malfunction if the built in screen is used and the game or benchmark software is using DX12.

G-Sync seems to have this issue currently with 1 panel type:
AU Optronics B173HAN01.1

All Asus laptops using this panel are affected!

Laptops I have tested:
-G703VIK
-GL702VS
-GL702VI

Not tested but probably affected:
-G752VSK

The issue can be fixed however with driver so it is software issue, however I only found 1 driver with the fix! 376.06 from the GL702VS driver page. No other drivers are working correctly ,not even the later ones from the laptops's own driver page.
376.06 is an old driver and many games do not support it.
Also it will not install on all laptops, for gl702vi I had to mod the inf file to install.

So people planning on buying a rog laptop with gsync 120 hz 17.3" auo screen, be aware, you either need to use an old outdated 376.06 driver OR not play dx12 titles at all.
Dont expect a fix from Asus, they could fix it with a driver but they dont care anymore.
8 REPLIES 8

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Does it "fix" the issue if you turn GSync off? *

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Does it "fix" the issue if you turn GSync off? *

Yes it does.

Korth
Level 14
Tindreal wrote:
So people planning on buying a rog laptop with gsync 120 hz 17.3" auo screen, be aware, you either need to use an old outdated 376.06 driver OR not play dx12 titles at all.

Or ... don't panic.
A bad driver version is not at all the same thing as a bad laptop, let alone a whole family of bad laptops, lol.

Nvidia puts out bad driver versions all the time. And Nvidia puts out fixed driver versions all the time. GPU card or display panel (or laptop model) aren't even relevant, Nvidia mucks around all the time.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Or ... don't panic.
A bad driver version is not at all the same thing as a bad laptop, let alone a whole family of bad laptops, lol.

Nvidia puts out bad driver versions all the time. And Nvidia puts out fixed driver versions all the time. GPU card or display panel (or laptop model) aren't even relevant, Nvidia mucks around all the time.

No working drivers have been released for these laptops since 2016.

Korth
Level 14
Nvidia releases GTX1080 drivers all the time ... latest non-beta is 398.82WHQL (for Win10-64), released 2018.8.1 ...
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Does it work correctly if you use the driver version*376.06 from nvidia.com?

Tindreal
Level 7
Korth: all drivers released by Nvidia or Asus have this bug which I mentioned with DX12+GSync. All drivers. The only exception is 376.06 released in 2016, that one has some extra regarding the handling of GSync for this AUO panel which is missing from all other drivers.

FULLMETALJACKET7: 376.06 is not available from nvidia.com. it is a special modded driver by Asus for their GL702VS laptop with the above mentioned 120 hz AUO panel. This driver has something different in its code when it comes to handling the AUO panel with G-Synx+DX12 api. Unfortunately ALL drivers later released by Asus or Nvidia are missing this code so even if you try a newer driver from the download page of an Asus laptop with this panel, it will have this bug.

Ps: to make it interesting, the 17.3" LG 75 Hz G-Sync panel ( LG LP173WF4-SPF1) had this same issue in 2016, however somewhere in 2017 Nvidia noticed this and was fixed, so the 75 hz LG panel is now working correctly even with the latest Nvidia driver.

Korth
Level 14
If Nvidia fixed it before then they can fix it again. Have you posted this issue on their support forums? I don't think it's likely you'll get anything useful from ASUS.

[/Korth]