cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero - SSD very hot (>70C!) - Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe

mrvortep
Level 8
I have this SSD installed in the main SSD slot, with both the thermal pad and heatsink supplied by Asus on, and the drive (obviously) screwed down.

The drive ("Drive Temperature 2" in HWInfo64) is hitting >70C playing FPS games (eg DOOM 2016) and then, even after stopping the game, sits in the high 60s while doing low-intensity stuff (69C as I write this post, no other processes going on, 0% disk usage in task manager). SSD hits 80C in a single Crystal DiskMark run.

Note, I left the Samsung sticker on, as the 970 Pro uses a copper based sticker/label. Every review site says to leave it on - although I'm not sure that's the right thing to do when you then put a thermal pad and a heatsink on top of it.

Is this a Samsung 970 Pro SSD issue or an Asus mobo issue...? Seems awfully high! Any guidance much appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

F0x135
Level 7
mrvortep wrote:
I have this SSD installed in the main SSD slot, with both the thermal pad and heatsink supplied by Asus on, and the drive (obviously) screwed down.

The drive ("Drive Temperature 2" in HWInfo64) is hitting >70C playing FPS games (eg DOOM 2016) and then, even after stopping the game, sits in the high 60s while doing low-intensity stuff (69C as I write this post, no other processes going on, 0% disk usage in task manager). SSD hits 80C in a single Crystal DiskMark run.

Note, I left the Samsung sticker on, as the 970 Pro uses a copper based sticker/label. Every review site says to leave it on - although I'm not sure that's the right thing to do when you then put a thermal pad and a heatsink on top of it.

Is this a Samsung 970 Pro SSD issue or an Asus mobo issue...? Seems awfully high! Any guidance much appreciated.

That doesn't seem right at all. I was getting those temps when i used the m2_2 slot right under the CPU and above the GPUs. I switched the 970 evo into the m2_1 slot of this z370-F, now it maxes out at 50c under load. And that's under x2 1080Ti that run hot at 80c. Samsung sticker left on as you said.

Are you 100% sure you have the thermal padding directly ON the nvme? Did you remove the plastic coating off the thermal padding?

mrvortep wrote:
The drive ("Drive Temperature 2" in HWInfo64)
This is popping out at me too. It's supposed to show as Samsung 970 Pro in Hwinfo64, have you installed the drivers???

This is my Evo in comparison:

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
interesting. 3.0 driver for nvme and ime and chipset are install? Windows is on UEFI? on bios CSM has to be disable on Samsung nvme since use his own driver. (just check) using the sticker of the NVME is have no impact on temps issues.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Itzycharles wrote:
interesting. 3.0 driver for nvme and ime and chipset are install? Windows is on UEFI? on bios CSM has to be disable on Samsung nvme since use his own driver. (just check) using the sticker of the NVME is have no impact on temps issues.

The 3.0 driver is installed. Not sure what the ime and chipset are - if they are Asus drivers then yes, they are installed. I haven't changed any of the stock bios settings when it comes to boot systems, so whatever the Hero X comes with is how it's set regarding CSM/UEFI etc...?

Menthol
Level 14
I had a Hero and used a 960 Pro and temps were much lower than what you say, I use AIDA64 to measure temps, etc.
I would say either the heatsink is not making good contact, no case airflow, error in temp reporting, faulty drive.

1. what temp when setting idle?
2. run your favorite disk benchmark software (Crystal Diskmark, AS SSD, ATTO) a couple times and watch the temps, and recorded speeds, does the drive slow down (throttle) when temps rise?

Its normal the nvme 970 ssd get very hot. without a heatsink its 100+

---SK--- wrote:

I don't see those sorts of temps in any of the reviews for this drive. All the reviews have temps in the 50-60s under load.

all the reviews are fake / incomplete, they don't tell you the whole story. there are two temp sensors.
one is on the mem chips and the other one on the mem controller.

and they probally don't even speak about it. that mem controller easily gets 90+ under benchmakrs tests if you don't use a heatsink.

my idle temps

and here are the temps after 2 samsung magician benchmarks runs:

73 deg. and thats with a Maximus X Hero Heatsink on it. without it it would be 100+

---SK--- wrote:
all the reviews are fake / incomplete, they don't tell you the whole story. there are two temp sensors.
one is on the mem chips and the other one on the mem controller.

and they probally don't even speak about it. that mem controller easily gets 90+ under benchmakrs tests if you don't use a heatsink.

my idle temps

and here are the temps after 2 samsung magician benchmarks runs:

73 deg. and thats with a Maximus X Hero Heatsink on it. without it it would be 100+

Many thanks for the information, I very much appreciate your response and sharing your data! My SSD tends to idle in the mid-high 50s or even 60s.

---SK--- wrote:

WHAT? Please provide some facts......what you just said is rubbish. I have a 970 EVO without heatsink. Temps are idle: 40-45 degrees. Load: 55-60 degrees. So where do you get your info from?