cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderboltex3 + Maximus VIII HERO

alexpenzov
Level 7
Hi, guys has anyone tried using thunderboltEX 3 expansion card with HERO mobo? I've been struggling for about a week to make it work and still have no results.
My setup: i7 6700k, 16 Gb RAM, GTX 1080, Windows 10(64)

So, I have ThunderboltEX 3 card installed in the PCIe 3.0 X4_3 slot and connected with the motherboard's TB_Header . ThunderboltEX Mini DisplayPort is connected with the DisplayPort on the GTX 1080 (as reads the manual).
Thunderbolt support is enabled in BIOS advanced settings. Thunderbolt driver version is 17.2.71.250
My problem is: Thunderboltex3 card is not detected by Thunderbolt Software. I also can't find it in Windows device manager.
The funny thing is - I can even see my thunderbolt device (UAD Arrow) connected via thunderboltex3 card in the device manager (it is not detected by UAD software anyway).
Any help?
Thanks in advance 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

ondersma80
Level 7
I believe thunderboltEX 3 is no longer working with recent UEFI releases. Here are two other threads complaining of issues:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88530-Maximus-VIII-Extreme-with-ThunderboltEX-3-Problems
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103428-Asus-ignoring-ThunderboltEX-3-users-Asus-official-s...!

The last user that brought it up had the thread (first link) he posted in closed by a mod. They don't like this one.

Well, that's sad. Frankly, I didn't expect such issues with ASUS.

xxswakxx13
Level 7
All I can say is be ready to RMA or have a look at the Overclock.net article HERE for troubleshooting.

In my experience, this is a lost cause. I phoned Asus today and reached 'Tech 3 Priority' Support (whatever that means) to RMA my second ThunderBoltEX 3 card and the rep specifically said:
There are no problems with the Asus ThunderBoltEX 3 Card. We have not heard of, or know of any issues with the card.
I asked, "Have you looked online in any forums? There are issues being reported everywhere. I'm having to send my 2nd card in for RMA in the span of 2 months."
Asus rep response: There aren't any problems being reported with the Asus ThunderBoltEX 3 Card, but thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Worst part of the RMA, because the card was included with my X99 Deluxe II purchase, they require I send the motherboard in as well for testing. I just got my motherboard and thunderbolt 3 card back from repair from the previous RMA 3 weeks ago, and now I have to send it in again.

Thanks Asus.

ondersma80
Level 7
I am not sure why you would spend so much time RMA'ing boards when you know it isn't a problem with the board or card itself. Just take the easy path and move on, thunderbolt has been a mess from the beginning. Also, spamming the same post across multiple threads doesn't help. 😞