Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    Question [G751JT] Air filter to substitute optical drive?

    Left side of the G751 is an optical drive. Removing the optical drive exposes the laptop's innards through a wide rectangular gap. Does ASUS provide the tools to replace the optical drive with an air filtration system to increase air intake and laptop cooling? I'm playing Monster Hunter World and the CPU runs at a concerning 85 C even with new Arctic Silver 5 paste applied. Thought I could remove the optical drive and use a fan to blow cool air into the rectangular gap, but nothing would stop dust accumulation.

    Edit: From another thread, how can I control the fan speed with what software?

    http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/wp-...ssembly-21.jpg
    Last edited by Linerax; 08-21-2018 at 09:34 AM.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    195

    Use fanspeed with g751 preset to turn both GPU and CPU fan to max while gaming. My CPU never goes over 80 degrees with it.
    Regarding the air filter there is no such solution (not from ASUS, not from any other company as to have one would imply the cooling system built in is not sufficient by default).
    It would be great if someone found a perfectly sized vent for air intake to fit the space where the DVD is. I would buy it.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    99
    Posts
    4,085

    Quote Originally Posted by Linerax View Post
    Left side of the G751 is an optical drive. Removing the optical drive exposes the laptop's innards through a wide rectangular gap. Does ASUS provide the tools to replace the optical drive with an air filtration system to increase air intake and laptop cooling? I'm playing Monster Hunter World and the CPU runs at a concerning 85 C even with new Arctic Silver 5 paste applied. Thought I could remove the optical drive and use a fan to blow cool air into the rectangular gap, but nothing would stop dust accumulation.

    Edit: From another thread, how can I control the fan speed with what software?

    http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/wp-...ssembly-21.jpg
    i'm not sure about a fan to replace the optical drive if you could find on that would work it would be simple to replace the actual optical drive in the caddy not sure how you would get it to dray air in? unless you could find a blower type that would be less than 9.5 mm in height and then just put some filter material in front of it. Then it you would have to determine the power part of the SATA connector for the optical drive to plug in the blower type fan and plug it in then either drill holes through the optical drive faceplate or create a new faceplate that would allow greater flow or just open the caddy when your playing games and need the extra flow? Sound like a pretty easy mod to me if you could find a blower type fan that small in the write voltage. I have never heard of anyone doing this but it seems like a pretty simple mod to me for a resourceful person. And also a great idea. I may look into doing this myself. You might consider something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NACVLWM..._t1_B01E3Q7FS6 these are designed to pull air out however if i remember right if you reverse polarity on DC voltage it reverses the motor direction perhaps you could pull your Optical drive and mount this somehow to the slot, reverse the polarity and blow in some more air this way?
    Last edited by Clintlgm; 09-03-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    195

    Well that would be an external solution, so not a very 'elegant' one.
    It would be great if somebody found a fan that is compatible with the dvd drive in size and make it blow air inward. I would install it for sure, expecially if one can put some air filter for the dust. Something like THIS would be great to start with?
    Of course, it would have to be SATA compatilble (it's where it would take the electrical charge from right?).
    But even a simple DVD removal with the air filter could help cool down the notebook, since the 2 GPU/CPU fans already are capable of sucking in a lot of air by themselfs when on 100% rpm mode, if there are more openings in the chassis.
    Last edited by ciccio80; 09-04-2018 at 10:22 AM.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    116

    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    i'm not sure about a fan to replace the optical drive if you could find on that would work it would be simple to replace the actual optical drive in the caddy not sure how you would get it to dray air in? unless you could find a blower type that would be less than 9.5 mm in height and then just put some filter material in front of it. Then it you would have to determine the power part of the SATA connector for the optical drive to plug in the blower type fan and plug it in then either drill holes through the optical drive faceplate or create a new faceplate that would allow greater flow or just open the caddy when your playing games and need the extra flow? Sound like a pretty easy mod to me if you could find a blower type fan that small in the write voltage. I have never heard of anyone doing this but it seems like a pretty simple mod to me for a resourceful person. And also a great idea. I may look into doing this myself. You might consider something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NACVLWM..._t1_B01E3Q7FS6 these are designed to pull air out however if i remember right if you reverse polarity on DC voltage it reverses the motor direction perhaps you could pull your Optical drive and mount this somehow to the slot, reverse the polarity and blow in some more air this way?
    Nope, even if you reverse polarity the fan blades are designed for one direction (they are bended in a very special way).

    Easiest and most rational solution is 2.5 cooling device

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asdf.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	75580

    However, it won't provide any significant boost to cooling performance. The amount of thermal capacity of radiatiors only play crucial value.
    Last edited by McCoy; 09-04-2018 at 10:26 AM.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    99
    Posts
    4,085

    Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    Nope, even if you reverse polarity the fan blades are designed for one direction (they are bended in a very special way).

    Easiest and most rational solution is 2.5 cooling device

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asdf.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	75580

    However, it won't provide any significant boost to cooling performance. The amount of thermal capacity of radiatiors only play crucial value.

    I don't know if I have that much money LOL 1 928,85 руб./шт.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    99
    Posts
    4,085

    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    I don't know if I have that much money LOL 1 928,85 руб./шт.

    looks like it would replace your DVD drive and give you a place to filter it would help running air over your SSD's and RAM the original fans would probably overpower theses fans but still would be a good place to bring more air into this cooling system not to find it in the states.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    116

    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    I don't know if I have that much money LOL 1 928,85 руб./шт.
    It's ~35$ )

    I believe that such device MIGHT provide better airflow: as typical cooling system provides turbulent air flow, additional air intake will make it laminar.

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    195

    Thank McCoy for the link, I see it has a sata plugin out of the box too, that’s great.
    Only thing I can’t figure out is the direction of the air fan (does it blow air IN or OUT of the notebook chassis?)
    Last edited by ciccio80; 09-05-2018 at 03:28 PM.

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    99
    Posts
    4,085

    Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    Nope, even if you reverse polarity the fan blades are designed for one direction (they are bended in a very special way).

    Easiest and most rational solution is 2.5 cooling device

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asdf.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	75580

    However, it won't provide any significant boost to cooling performance. The amount of thermal capacity of radiatiors only play crucial value.
    Found this on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-tipw...2%3A2661618011

    It appears to be blowing out rather than in however, might be worth looking onto perhaps the fans could be flipped upside down to blow ain in?
    Last edited by Clintlgm; 09-05-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •