cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[G751JT] Air filter to substitute optical drive?

Linerax
Level 7
Left side of the G751 is an optical drive. Removing the optical drive exposes the laptop's innards through a wide rectangular gap. Does ASUS provide the tools to replace the optical drive with an air filtration system to increase air intake and laptop cooling? I'm playing Monster Hunter World and the CPU runs at a concerning 85 C even with new Arctic Silver 5 paste applied. Thought I could remove the optical drive and use a fan to blow cool air into the rectangular gap, but nothing would stop dust accumulation.

Edit: From another thread, how can I control the fan speed with what software?

http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Asus-ROG-G751-Disassembly-21.jpg
10 REPLIES 10

ciccio80
Level 9
Use fanspeed with g751 preset to turn both GPU and CPU fan to max while gaming. My CPU never goes over 80 degrees with it.
Regarding the air filter there is no such solution (not from ASUS, not from any other company as to have one would imply the cooling system built in is not sufficient by default).
It would be great if someone found a perfectly sized vent for air intake to fit the space where the DVD is. I would buy it.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Linerax wrote:
Left side of the G751 is an optical drive. Removing the optical drive exposes the laptop's innards through a wide rectangular gap. Does ASUS provide the tools to replace the optical drive with an air filtration system to increase air intake and laptop cooling? I'm playing Monster Hunter World and the CPU runs at a concerning 85 C even with new Arctic Silver 5 paste applied. Thought I could remove the optical drive and use a fan to blow cool air into the rectangular gap, but nothing would stop dust accumulation.

Edit: From another thread, how can I control the fan speed with what software?

http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Asus-ROG-G751-Disassembly-21.jpg

i'm not sure about a fan to replace the optical drive if you could find on that would work it would be simple to replace the actual optical drive in the caddy not sure how you would get it to dray air in? unless you could find a blower type that would be less than 9.5 mm in height and then just put some filter material in front of it. Then it you would have to determine the power part of the SATA connector for the optical drive to plug in the blower type fan and plug it in then either drill holes through the optical drive faceplate or create a new faceplate that would allow greater flow or just open the caddy when your playing games and need the extra flow? Sound like a pretty easy mod to me if you could find a blower type fan that small in the write voltage. I have never heard of anyone doing this but it seems like a pretty simple mod to me for a resourceful person. And also a great idea. I may look into doing this myself. You might consider something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NACVLWM/ref=psdc_2243862011_t1_B01E3Q7FS6 these are designed to pull air out however if i remember right if you reverse polarity on DC voltage it reverses the motor direction perhaps you could pull your Optical drive and mount this somehow to the slot, reverse the polarity and blow in some more air this way?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
i'm not sure about a fan to replace the optical drive if you could find on that would work it would be simple to replace the actual optical drive in the caddy not sure how you would get it to dray air in? unless you could find a blower type that would be less than 9.5 mm in height and then just put some filter material in front of it. Then it you would have to determine the power part of the SATA connector for the optical drive to plug in the blower type fan and plug it in then either drill holes through the optical drive faceplate or create a new faceplate that would allow greater flow or just open the caddy when your playing games and need the extra flow? Sound like a pretty easy mod to me if you could find a blower type fan that small in the write voltage. I have never heard of anyone doing this but it seems like a pretty simple mod to me for a resourceful person. And also a great idea. I may look into doing this myself. You might consider something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NACVLWM/ref=psdc_2243862011_t1_B01E3Q7FS6 these are designed to pull air out however if i remember right if you reverse polarity on DC voltage it reverses the motor direction perhaps you could pull your Optical drive and mount this somehow to the slot, reverse the polarity and blow in some more air this way?

Nope, even if you reverse polarity the fan blades are designed for one direction (they are bended in a very special way).

Easiest and most rational solution is 2.5 cooling device

However, it won't provide any significant boost to cooling performance. The amount of thermal capacity of radiatiors only play crucial value.

McCoy wrote:
Nope, even if you reverse polarity the fan blades are designed for one direction (they are bended in a very special way).

However, it won't provide any significant boost to cooling performance. The amount of thermal capacity of radiatiors only play crucial value.

I don't know if I have that much money LOL 1 928,85 руб. /шт.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I don't know if I have that much money LOL 1 928,85 руб./шт.

looks like it would replace your DVD drive and give you a place to filter it would help running air over your SSD's and RAM the original fans would probably overpower theses fans but still would be a good place to bring more air into this cooling system not to find it in the states.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I don't know if I have that much money LOL 1 928,85 руб. /шт.

It's ~35$ )

I believe that such device MIGHT provide better airflow: as typical cooling system provides turbulent air flow, additional air intake will make it laminar.

McCoy wrote:

Found this on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-tipway%C2%AE2-Notebook-Ventilation-Interface-Installation/dp/B013OWO...

It appears to be blowing out rather than in however, might be worth looking onto perhaps the fans could be flipped upside down to blow ain in?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

ciccio80
Level 9
Well that would be an external solution, so not a very 'elegant' one.
It would be great if somebody found a fan that is compatible with the dvd drive in size and make it blow air inward. I would install it for sure, expecially if one can put some air filter for the dust. Something like THIS would be great to start with?
Of course, it would have to be SATA compatilble (it's where it would take the electrical charge from right?).
But even a simple DVD removal with the air filter could help cool down the notebook, since the 2 GPU/CPU fans already are capable of sucking in a lot of air by themselfs when on 100% rpm mode, if there are more openings in the chassis.

ciccio80
Level 9
Thank McCoy for the link, I see it has a sata plugin out of the box too, that’s great.
Only thing I can’t figure out is the direction of the air fan (does it blow air IN or OUT of the notebook chassis?)