cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My i9-7960X temps seems high after delidding

sherick02
Level 7
Hi guys,

I just want to know if my delid temps are normal or not because after delidding, everytime I run cinebench R15 I noticed that some of the core are hitting 82-93C while some of the core are only hitting around 74-80C. I used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut between the CPU Die and IHS while Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut between the IHS and Monoblock. I don't know if everything is normal so I just need some suggestions from you guys 🙂 Thanks

BTW here are my PC Specs
Case: Corsair 900D
CPU: i9-7960X @4.7GHZ
Motherboard: Rampage Vi Extreme
GPU: 3 X Titan Xp
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB @3466MHZ 16-18-18-36-2T (XMP On but I increased the frequency to 3733MHZ without adjusting the timings)
PSU: EVGA 1600W P2
Cooling: I got custom loop with a 2X480mm rad, 1X240mm rad and 1X120mm rad
Pump: Koolance PMP-600 D5 pump
Fans: Corsair Magnetic Levitation Fan color blue

Here are my Overclock Settings
Cpu Frequency: 4.7GHZ
Cpu Core Voltage: 1.240V
Cpu Cache: 3GHZ
Cpu Cache Voltage: 1.170
Both AVX negative Offset are set to: 2
CPU Input Voltage: 1.950V
Cpu Load line calibration: Level 4
CPU Current Capability: 200%
VRM Spread Spectrum: Disabled
Cpu power Duty Control: Extreme
Cpu power Phase control: Extreme
12 REPLIES 12

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
That is high for post delid, although CR15 does pull a reasonable amount of current. You can re-check the cooler mounting, but beyond that, unfortunately, it's likely you'll have to take the lid off once again.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Mr__Fox
Level 12
How do the temps compare to before you delidded? Are they greatly improved? Did you have the same variance in temperatures between cores before? Without know that, it is hard to say if the temps are high or not because it is all relative. The max on some cores is clearly higher than desirable.

Did you glue the IHS back on? If not, lift it off and have another look at the liquid metal. Sometimes it doesn't stick well and tries to bead up, especially if the IHS or die has any oily surface contamination that was not fully removed during cleaning. There could be a couple of spots where it didn't make good contact, and that can cause the core variance. I always apply it to both surfaces so they come together wet, and that works better for me than applying it to one surface.

I would expect lower temps if you are using all of those radiators for the CPU, or even one 480mm radiator for the CPU. Is the system being used in a cool environment?
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The op states he has a custom loop with multiple rads on a D5 pump, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I didn’t test the cpu temps before I delidded. Because the time when my cpu arrived, I delidded it right away.
I didn’t reseal the ihs, i just let the monoblock hold the cpu.

I put liquid metal between the bottom ihs and cpu die.

sherick02 wrote:
I didn’t test the cpu temps before I delidded. Because the time when my cpu arrived, I delidded it right away.

In that case, remove the monoblock and attempt to reseat the IHS, closing the socket clamp once again and remount. Ideally, you should have tested the CPU before delidding.

Silent Scone wrote:
In that case, remove the monoblock and attempt to reseat the IHS, closing the socket clamp once again and remount. Ideally, you should have tested the CPU before delidding.

Ohh okay I'll try to reseat the IHS this weekend. But do you think is it necessary to reglue the ihs? Because I've seen GamersNexus review and he showed that if you reglue the ihs, it ended up with higher cpu temps.

sherick02 wrote:

What are your ambient temperatures? Is the room cool or hot?

You may need to recheck the liquid metal application to be sure it is applied smoothly and evenly, and did not bead up or separate as previously mentioned. Apply it to both mating surfaces so the two halves come together wet. If you only put it on the die, look at the IHS when you lift it off. If there are any dry or bare spots where the die makes contact, that is the issue (not making good enough contact for thermal transfer).
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

mr_fox_rox wrote:
What are your ambient temperatures? Is the room cool or hot?

You may need to recheck the liquid metal application to be sure it is applied smoothly and evenly, and did not bead up or separate as previously mentioned. Apply it to both mating surfaces so the two halves come together wet. If you only put it on the die, look at the IHS when you lift it off. If there are any dry or bare spots where the die makes contact, that is the issue (not making good enough contact for thermal transfer).

My room temperature right now is around 25-27C (Air conditioner turned on). Fan running at round 40% when IDLE. I have applied both surface with liquid metal.

Im also afraid that there are some air trap inside the monoblock resulting in higher temps.

Here's the sample pic of my pc:

Mr__Fox
Level 12
That is possible. Do you have a different water block that you can test to see if that corrects the issue? Perhaps the monoblock is not fitting correctly.