cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GL703 GM high temperatures at (almost) idle

Hodakson
Level 7
Hello! I've bought new laptop and I don't know if it's everything ok. When I'm just viewing browser and do other not heavy load tasks my CPU cores's temperatures are about 55-60 C. CPU usage is about 3%-5%. My GPU is about 60 C. Laptop is used on flat hard surface, nothing prevents air to flow. Fan's profile is set to balanced. Is this normal?
11 REPLIES 11

jdfrench3
Level 12
Go into the ROG Gaming Center and make sure you are in standard mode and not extreme.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Can't see anything like that. Starting from Upper left corner there are "Control ROG GC with mobile", "Device Information", "Game profiles" with no interesting options. At the bottom of the screen there are shortcuts for: "Rog Aura Core", "Fan Overboost", "ROG Game Visual", "ROG GameFirst", "XSplit Gamecaster", "Sonic Radar", "Sonic Studio", "GeForce Experience". Anything else are jest huds with MHz, temps and memory + on/off of WIN key and touchpad.

Here's a link to an ASUS Support FAQ page concerning the 2.5 ROG Gaming Center.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1036501

It looks like you have to make changes using your smartphone. I was making reference to the TurboGear update that places an interface within the ROG Gaming Center program. It is an easy configuration button to change from standard settings to extreme settings. Your GL703GM runs ROG Gaming Center version 2.5.7 but the TurboGear update does not cover your model. I run ROG Gaming Center with TurboGear on my G752VSK.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

I've downloaded app to my smartphone and this feature is also lacking 😕 Is there a quick way to enable/disable Turbo Boost? Set multipliers to maybe x9 without reboot needed? And when I need more power with few clicks I set it to higher values?

Hodakson wrote:
I've downloaded app to my smartphone and this feature is also lacking 😕 Is there a quick way to enable/disable Turbo Boost? Set multipliers to maybe x9 without reboot needed? And when I need more power with few clicks I set it to higher values?

Throttlestop, search for undervolting in the forum and you'll find everything you need.

I'm getting approximately 42C across all CPU cores and approx. 39C at the GPU at idle/while performing simple tasks.

What is the ambient temperature of the room you are playing in?

edit:With mine at idle I get around ~45C for the GPU and CPU with an ambient temperature in my apartment being around 73F(~23C). If the ambient temperature in your home then you will get higher temps. If you ambient temperature is around mine and you are still getting those temps I would recommend RMA as you may have bad thermal paste application to your laptop or the heatsink/fan could have defect.

Hello everyone. Finally got a while to use my laptop again. I turn it on on and...
11:16 AM CPU 44C/GPU 38C
11:20 AM CPU 54C/GPU 53C
12:08 PM CPU 63C/GPU 67C
12:55 PM CPU 58C/GPU 59C
Task manager shows as always: CPU usage about 5% GPU generally about the same, but it fluctuates more. Laptop on hard flat table as usual. It's summer, I think ambient is about 23-24. On my workplace I have air conditioned room so its even cooler . I think its not the case.

Within few minutes it jumped 10/15C !! I was using chrome only and chatting with Adobe CC support. It was hot conversation, but really...? 😄 Nothing fancy, only chrome with few tabs. This laptop was upgraded by reseller. I've added bigger NVMe and additional 16 GB of RAM. Do you think they may have screwed something? Is it clearly a case to contact with support and give them laptop to check? Do you know how long it would last?

Hodakson wrote:
Hello everyone. Finally got a while to use my laptop again. I turn it on on and...
11:16 AM CPU 44C/GPU 38C
11:20 AM CPU 54C/GPU 53C
12:08 PM CPU 63C/GPU 67C
12:55 PM CPU 58C/GPU 59C
Task manager shows as always: CPU usage about 5% GPU generally about the same, but it fluctuates more. Laptop on hard flat table as usual. It's summer, I think ambient is about 23-24. On my workplace I have air conditioned room so its even cooler . I think its not the case.

Within few minutes it jumped 10/15C !! I was using chrome only and chatting with Adobe CC support. It was hot conversation, but really...? 😄 Nothing fancy, only chrome with few tabs. This laptop was upgraded by reseller. I've added bigger NVMe and additional 16 GB of RAM. Do you think they may have screwed something? Is it clearly a case to contact with support and give them laptop to check? Do you know how long it would last?

If that is all they did then I doubt it. But who knows. I would check and make sure you fan profiles are properly set and then request an RMA. Yes it is a case in which I would contact them as this could negatively effect your laptop over the long term. For how long it would take... I would say about 7-10 days depending on location and assuming FedEx delivers it quickly.