cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero Drivers

Beerlord
Level 8
Is it best to use the latest drivers from ASUS or the default W10 drivers? It seems like some of the W10 drivers are more recent though that doesn't mean better.
I'm really looking at things like the Chipset drivers but also wonder about others such as LAN .
14 REPLIES 14

cl-Adrian
Level 8
Beerlord wrote:
Is it best to use the latest drivers from ASUS or the default W10 drivers? It seems like some of the W10 drivers are more recent though that doesn't mean better.
I'm really looking at things like the Chipset drivers but also wonder about others such as LAN .

Dear Beerlord,

Personally, I would install which ever is the newest version (more recent). Just solely for better optimizations. If any issues arise with the functionality of your motherboard, you can contact me at cl-adrian@asus.com.

Thank you for choosing ASUS!

Best Regards,
Adrian
ASUS Customer Loyalty – US Support

cl-Adrian@asus wrote:
Dear Beerlord,

Personally, I would install which ever is the newest version (more recent). Just solely for better optimizations. If any issues arise with the functionality of your motherboard, you can contact me at cl-adrian@asus.com.

Thank you for choosing ASUS!

Best Regards,
Adrian
ASUS Customer Loyalty – US Support

Where do you find the newest drivers then? Because the drivers for Maximus x z370 has not been updated since 2017, like chipset and other drivers?

Mr__Fox
Level 12
CRJ84 wrote:
Where do you find the newest drivers then? Because the drivers for Maximus x z370 has not been updated since 2017, like chipset and other drivers?

Is there an issue you are looking to resolve, or just looking for newer drivers for the sake of them being newer? You can check the ODM web sites for newer drivers, or third-party sources such as Station-Drivers.com or Win-Raid.com forum for newer drivers.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I changed my general approach to drivers and firmware, and Windows Updates, to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and that has greatly enhanced my PC ownership experience. Firmware updates can sometimes be especially hazardous to performance and stability, and I have often regretted breaking my own rules when I do. Sometimes the latest ain't the greatest, and if everything works correctly, there is generally no point in burning any calories on it. Unless I want to play a game that depends on it I don't even update my GPU drivers. I find the one that gives me the highest benchmark scores and overclocks the most stable, then park on it until one surfaces that enhances performance further. That's not very often.

If you allow Micro$oft to have free reign over the destiny of your system, it becomes more difficult to maintain a drama-free experience. But, doing so you will generally get the most recent driver version for most things that they have deemed best, sometimes at the expense of performance.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox wrote:
Is there an issue you are looking to resolve, or just looking for newer drivers for the sake of them being newer? You can check the ODM web sites for newer drivers, or third-party sources such as Station-Drivers.com or Win-Raid.com forum for newer drivers.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I changed my general approach to drivers and firmware, and Windows Updates, to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and that has greatly enhanced my PC ownership experience. Firmware updates can sometimes be especially hazardous to performance and stability, and I have often regretted breaking my own rules when I do. Sometimes the latest ain't the greatest, and if everything works correctly, there is generally no point in burning any calories on it. Unless I want to play a game that depends on it I don't even update my GPU drivers. I find the one that gives me the highest benchmark scores and overclocks the most stable, then park on it until one surfaces that enhances performance further. That's not very often.

If you allow Micro$oft to have free reign over the destiny of your system, it becomes more difficult to maintain a drama-free experience. But, doing so you will generally get the most recent driver version for most things that they have deemed best, sometimes at the expense of performance.

My build is only weeks old and after running fine for a week, I noticed some serious sluggishness. It wasn't temps and I only installed a few other programs that should have no trouble running on a beefy system so immediately wanted to check the status of the drivers.
So far, it very likely seems to be Bitdefender Total Security. I'm not a fan of virus suites but it has been running well for 2 years on 2 other systems but for some reason, once I removed it and used another program, my troubles seem to be gone though I am putting this system thru some paces before I give the 'all clear'.

Beerlord wrote:
My build is only weeks old and after running fine for a week, I noticed some serious sluggishness. It wasn't temps and I only installed a few other programs that should have no trouble running on a beefy system so immediately wanted to check the status of the drivers.
So far, it very likely seems to be Bitdefender Total Security. I'm not a fan of virus suites but it has been running well for 2 years on 2 other systems but for some reason, once I removed it and used another program, my troubles seem to be gone though I am putting this system thru some paces before I give the 'all clear'.

Can you provide me your full specifications, and give me more details on when your experiencing your sluggish instants?

cl-Adrian@asus wrote:
Can you provide me your full specifications, and give me more details on when your experiencing your sluggish instants?

Things are looking good now so how about I let it ride for a few more days and see how things go and if I have problems, I'll send you an email?
I do thank you for your offer to help.

Beerlord wrote:
Things are looking good now so how about I let it ride for a few more days and see how things go and if I have problems, I'll send you an email?
I do thank you for your offer to help.

Glad to hear things are running smoothly. Does ASUS provide the free security software for your AMD setup as they do Intel?

I generally do not use any security software, but the Kaspersky provided by ASUS is much lighter on resources than BitDefender, and equally effective. If you have the free Kaspersky from ASUS, you might want to give that a try. I have found ESET to be the lightest on resources and equally effective. Almost all of them have become more bloated with inappropriate focus on the security software UI becoming as tacky and unaesthetic, and inefficient, as the Windows 10 UI.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

I actually used my office copy of Kapersky and it works much better. Still a few things like outgoing mail needed to be excluded but so far, so good. It's very odd how things work fine on one system but are fracked up on another.
For now, things are looking very good. I'm gong to leave things as they are, not add any software for a few days and see what happens.

Watching this a few days, it does appear that things do get a little slower as each day goes on. Something else I've noted that when I restart the system, it takes forever to reboot. I can ctl-alt-del a few times to try to bring up the task manager but it never pops up. After some very long minutes, it will restart finally.
The system does not lock up, the mouse still works and it will bring up the options when doing the 3 finger salute.
How do I figure out what's causing this to happen as I wonder if it's related.

@Adrian-I did email you yesterday some detailed info on my system. I appreciate your time in taking a look at this.

As I mentioned, things do seem to work, just slower than I feel it should. As an example, I have a shortcut to my NAS. Usually when the system has just been started, I can click on the icon and it's instantaneous. After a day or two, it takes longer. Then, if I don't restart for a day or two more, its' even slower. Something has got to be causing the bottleneck.