cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL503VM] Is this temperature at idle normal?

Alkatraz1337
Level 7
Solved
6 REPLIES 6

StarJack
Level 11
Alkatraz1337 wrote:
Hello everyone, this is my first post.
I’ve bought a OSless GL503VM new a couple of months ago and I’m satisfied with it,
but I’ve been getting a very high temp of 60c on idle, both CPU and GPU, fans are set on ‘Auto’ in ROG Gaming Center.
Is this due to bad thermal paste applied to the processor and do I have to replace it? Does it void the warranty?*

Since you arent getting any replies I will say that no, those idle temps are not normal. I'd say something must be eating up processor cycles in the background. This system should be idling at around the mid 40's at least.

StarJack

FastM
Level 8
I was actually going to say its normal. without the fans boosted that's what my system would idle around. I always leave the fans boosted 40% and my idle temps drop to the 30's

sznyoky
Level 8
Alkatraz1337 wrote:
Hello everyone, this is my first post.
I’ve bought a OSless GL503VM new a couple of months ago and I’m satisfied with it,
but I’ve been getting a very high temp of 60c on idle, both CPU and GPU, fans are set on ‘Auto’ in ROG Gaming Center.
Is this due to bad thermal paste applied to the processor and do I have to replace it? Does it void the warranty?*

Hi,

I have the same laptop but mine has Win10 installed and I suffered with the same problem. The CPU and GPU was at around 60 °C in idle and 90+ while play games.

My solution:
1. Factory reset the windows. It will delete the installed drivers, and the windows will download them automatically.
2. Don't install any utility driver that connected to intel. Example: Intel INF Update Driver or any that related to Turbo Boost.
3. Use ThrottleStop and undervolt the CPU by -100.6 mV

It helped me a lot.
Now in idle the temps around 45°C and during gaming session ~85°C

Alkatraz1337
Level 7
I have never undervolted the processor but I will look on the net, prolly done in the BIOS.
I was getting 90c+ aswell but I limited the processor usage by Power Options so it doesn’t go into Turbo.
Also UPDATE: 50-55c with the fans set to cool. I mean its idle but there are lots of stuff in the background
for instance Sandboxie, Logitech gaming software, antivirus and other things.*

These background processes shouldn't affect the CPU temp like this. The clock speed should be around 900-1000 Mhz in idle.
I tried the Power option settings but mine not worked, it still used the turbo somehow.

I used these guides to undervolt my cpu:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-to-Lower-Temperatures-Stop-Throttling-and-Increase-Battery-Life-Th...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103961-GL703VM-overheat-cpu-93-gpu-94

Alkatraz1337
Level 7
Thanks everyone for your help! Today I achieved a temp of 40c while ingame I undervolted as you guys said 🙂