cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel i9, Asus R6E Issues, Need Help!

TekoMine
Level 7
Hey Guys

Since I've built this PC I've had issues starting with it not being able to boot, or Freezing before it even reached BIOS.
I got the Motherboard replaced and tried again to get the same issues.

However in the end I managed to get it to boot by using default BIOS settings with only 2 of my 4 RAM sticks inserted, But once I placed the last 2 sticks in the issues began again. I did a number of Memtests on every stick individually with no errors then testing the RAM adding one more stick in at a time till all 4 were inserted, I noticed that as soon as I placed the last two sticks into the right side of the Motherboard the crashing started instantly.

A further BIOS update a few weeks later after giving up managed to allow me to get around this and finally use all RAM, and the PC has been usable since with no crashes, but is definitely slower than what it should be in boot times etc... I did an Intel Diagnostic test on my CPU at the time which failed on an issue which also used RAM, so at this point I sent the RAM off for RMA which I was given a better brand new replacement of (64GB 4x16gb DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum Quad Channel - 2666MHz 15-17-17-35 1.20v ver3.31) and to my dismay the PC still hangs in boot for a while and very slow compared to what I know it should perform like and acting buggy when gaming or using productive software (even just using google chrome, has gave me some issues) , But now I'm stuck on what could be causing the problems, I will link a video to my Q-Code during boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oUrPfAhWc

Breaking down that video;

During boot the PC's lights as well as my screen stays black (Off) in which the Q-code shows BD, and hangs mostly on B7 but flickers to others in that time like D2, and hangs a little on D5.
The Lights and the Screen only turn on once the Q-code 99 appears
I enter the Logo screen with Q-Code B4 and 9C before it goes to HDD Q-codes then logs me into windows.

I would really like some help on where my issues lies so I can try fix or replace it, as I have tried everything I can think of at this point from rebuilding the PC testing part by part, clearing CMOS, Updating BIOS etc... to RMA'ing my Motherboard & RAM, the only other place I can think of now is it being my CPU somehow. Please give your advice and opinions!

Also Ask me if you guys need any other Info like screenshots of BIOS settings etc...

Thanks.

SPECS:
CPU: Intel i9 7980XE.
Motherboard: X299 Asus Rampage VI Extreme. (BIOS version - 1401)
RAM: 64GB 4x16gb DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum Quad Channel - 2400MHz 14-16-16-31 1.2v.
GPU/s: 2 x EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Elite (In SLI) connected with a ROG HB SLI Bridge.
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNova 1600W T2 PSU.
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 AIO CPU Cooler.
Storage: 512GB Samsung NVME M.2 SSD (Used for the OS) Windows 10 and a 1TB Samsung 850 PRO SSD for storage.
Case: Cooler Master H500P Case (With the Mesh Front).
Fans: 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial Class PWM Fans
Fan Controller: Corsair Commander PRO (Needed to Connect all my case front panel, Cooler & Fans)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Cherry MX Speed.
Mouse: Razer Mamba Tournament Edition.
13 REPLIES 13

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
TekoMine wrote:
the only other place I can think of now is it being my CPU somehow.

After replacing RAM and MB that does pretty much leave the CPU or maybe the IMC of that CPU in question....

If you set F5 defaults in BIOS, with all RAM installed on correct slots, does it show any problems? is this only when you set RAM to rated XMP speeds?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
After replacing RAM and MB that does pretty much leave the CPU or maybe the IMC of that CPU in question....

If you set F5 defaults in BIOS, with all RAM installed on correct slots, does it show any problems? is this only when you set RAM to rated XMP speeds?

Nope, Originally when I was first trying to fix the RAM issue I did see that default settings made the PC come across slightly less of the issues I was facing at the time compared to XMP. But now it doesn't matter what settings I have I still have the same problems with XMP and default.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK, so I'd really think about RMAing the CPU...It's a pretty quick and painless process with Intel. Seems the memory controller is defective. 😞

jrmcdou
Level 10
Personally I would attach the minimum amount of hardware necessary to boot into Windows. If the same issue occurs then all you are left with is the cpu and psu. As stated possibly the imc is bad in the cpu or flaky power is being supplied to the cpu/ram.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi,

Here is what I've personally taken from this - given what we know from the above.

1) You updated the UEFI which in turn provided you with better compatibility out of the box with your original memory kit.

2) Subsequently, you ran Intel Diagnostics tool which is not directly compatible with enthusiast platforms or when running the system out of spec - and found the test failed.

3) You replaced the memory kit and now, as a result, you think that the boot times are still too long

What you are describing above when the system is turned on is the memory training routines (BD and B7 are both memory training codes).

If wanting to reduce this you would need to enable MRC Fast Boot within the UEFI which can be found under the DRAM Timing page. This option will train the memory one last time after exiting the UEFI and retain in NVRAM. What this means is the system will bypass memory training routines at POST. It is advised if doing this to properly stress test the memory within the OS (with HCI Memtest or RAM Test) before enabling MRC Fast Boot.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Hi,

Here is what I've personally taken from this - given what we know from the above.

1) You updated the UEFI which in turn provided you with better compatibility out of the box with your original memory kit.

2) Subsequently, you ran Intel Diagnostics tool which is not directly compatible with enthusiast platforms or when running the system out of spec - and found the test failed.

3) You replaced the memory kit and now, as a result, you think that the boot times are still too long

What you are describing above when the system is turned on is the memory training routines (BD and B7 are both memory training codes).

If wanting to reduce this you would need to enable MRC Fast Boot within the UEFI which can be found under the DRAM Timing page. This option will train the memory one last time after exiting the UEFI and retain in NVRAM. What this means is the system will bypass memory training routines at POST. It is advised if doing this to properly stress test the memory within the OS (with HCI Memtest or RAM Test) before enabling MRC Fast Boot.

So, I've just tested my RAM for like 1-2 hours about 120% on each test with HCI Memtest, no errors, so I did what you said and enabled MRC Fast Boot, and still no change, boot time slow hangs before getting to loading screen for a bit before getting into windows like before, and PC just generally runs slow and a bit jumpy still, My PC takes like 1 min to boot where as I built a PC for my GF with similar specs and hers boots in like 10 seconds.

I also forgot to mention while playing games or doing anything the lights on my mouse and keyboard flicker every now and then or just stop working until i take it out and plug it back in.

I also followed the guy belows advice and upped the voltage on the ram to like 1.2500v, no improvement

TekoMine wrote:
So, I've just tested my RAM for like 1-2 hours about 120% on each test with HCI Memtest, no errors, so I did what you said and enabled MRC Fast Boot, and still no change, boot time slow hangs before getting to loading screen for a bit before getting into windows like before, and PC just generally runs slow and a bit jumpy still, My PC takes like 1 min to boot where as I built a PC for my GF with similar specs and hers boots in like 10 seconds.

I also forgot to mention while playing games or doing anything the lights on my mouse and keyboard flicker every now and then or just stop working until i take it out and plug it back in.

I also followed the guy belows advice and upped the voltage on the ram to like 1.2500v, no improvement

Have you tried as someone else suggested above with minimal to no IO devices connected to the system? The POST time will have decreased with MRC fastboot enabled, so it's likely something happening at handoff. I've not read of any known issues with the K95, though.

I'd be tempted to remove the motherboard from the enclosure and test externally.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hi TeKoMine,
Check my specs, different ram but initially suffered similar problems = it was all related to ram.
Initially the biggest improvement I had was on getting into bios, setting ram at 1.35v ( for GSkill that is correct) bios sets it at 1.2v
Bios will quite often set ram at minimum which this board does not like, so as silent scone says you seem to be experiencing memory problems that need tweaking in bios to get it to boot stable.
Check out other posts on this issue, they maybe of help,
Wish you well.*

chevell65
Level 12
I might be inclined to try a different manufacturer for the memory like G.SKILL.

The F4-3200C16Q-64GTZR shows it's been tested at XMP on your particular board with your exact CPU. http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-64gtzr

Corsair only shows compatible chip sets that should work with their memory.