cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strix raid pro problem

morpwr
Level 7
I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I had a strix raid pro installed and it worked fine until the other night after the windows update. Then serious bsod and I had to reinstall windows and now I cant get the card to work again. It starts the driver install and stops about 30 percent though then says it doesn't need the power plug no matter what I do. Yes I have tried it unplugged and same result. It also isn't showing up either. Is the card bad?
10 REPLIES 10

morpwr
Level 7
Nobody has any ideas on what else I can check?

morpwr wrote:
Nobody has any ideas on what else I can check?

Well after checking everything I can think of im assuming the sound card is bad. After talking with someone about this i remembered this is the second time this has happened with this card after a windows update. The first time wasn't as bad but after the update the card and a couple other things wouldn't work because the driver was gone and I had to reinstall everything for it. This shouldn't happen but it appears sound cards aren't high on asus list of priorities so unfortunately this will be the last asus sound card I buy because of the issues ive had with it and lack of replies from anyone here.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Have you tried different PCIe slots?
Is your system overclocked?
You need the power to be connected when installing the software (not disconnected). Sorry for the misleading error message.
Please make sure to connect 12V 6-pin power to the sound card and try again.

I tried installing and uninstalling several times on the latest Windows build, I'm yet to find a probable cause other than disconnected power.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Have you tried different PCIe slots?
Is your system overclocked?
You need the power to be connected when installing the software (not disconnected). Sorry for the misleading error message.
Please make sure to connect 12V 6-pin power to the sound card and try again.

I tried installing and uninstalling several times on the latest Windows build, I'm yet to find a probable cause other than disconnected power.

Did that with two different cables and spots on the power supply still did the same thing. Replaced it with sound blaster z that works perfect in the same slot. This is the second time this has happened with a windows update with that sound card.

morpwr wrote:
Did that with two different cables and spots on the power supply still did the same thing. Replaced it with sound blaster z that works perfect in the same slot. This is the second time this has happened with a windows update with that sound card.

I knew the card needed the power cable this has been installed for about 2 years prior to all these issues.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Is the reason why you didn't try different PCIe slots because you have SLI or Crossfire?
Tried a fresh installation of Windows?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Is the reason why you didn't try different PCIe slots because you have SLI or Crossfire?
Tried a fresh installation of Windows?

My first post said I reinstalled windows and id have to remove everything else in my pc to get to a slot.(1080ti takes up a lot of space) I did try something else in the slot and it was recognized fine so its not the slot.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
If it was working for 2 years previously then maybe something is wrong with the card. Try RMA to see what's going on, the card should be covered for 3 years in the US so do it soon.
Do you see the card under Device manager?
Is your system overclocked? Can't see why the software can't complete the install.
If you're stuck at that error message, either power isn't going to the card or the card is faulty.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
If it was working for 2 years previously then maybe something is wrong with the card. Try RMA to see what's going on, the card should be covered for 3 years in the US so do it soon.
Do you see the card under Device manager?
Is your system overclocked? Can't see why the software can't complete the install.
If you're stuck at that error message, either power isn't going to the card or the card is faulty.

Yes but not under the sound cars its in the usb devices.Yes my system is overclocked and has been like that since day one with no issues. Its definitely not a power issue remember I tried 2 cables and two different ports on the power supply. The weird part is the only time this has happened is immediately after a windows update. This happened 2 times. This time was obviously much worse. Looks like a bad card then. Thanks for the help.