cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with sound card

morpwr
Level 7
I hope some one has an idea because im lost. The other night after a windows up date I had a serious bsod. Somehow corrupted my c drive which I fixed after reinstalling windows. But now my second sound card wont work. Its a strix raid pro but when I try to install the drivers it says its s xonar and tells me it doesn't need the 6 pin plug then stops installing. The other thing is it only shows up under the usbs not the sound cards. I tried something else in the slot the card was in and that worked so I assume its not a problem with the board. I also tried a different cable and port on the power supply just to eliminate that. Anybody have any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8

cl-Adrian
Level 8
morpwr wrote:
I hope some one has an idea because im lost. The other night after a windows up date I had a serious bsod. Somehow corrupted my c drive which I fixed after reinstalling windows. But now my second sound card wont work. Its a strix raid pro but when I try to install the drivers it says its s xonar and tells me it doesn't need the 6 pin plug then stops installing. The other thing is it only shows up under the usbs not the sound cards. I tried something else in the slot the card was in and that worked so I assume its not a problem with the board. I also tried a different cable and port on the power supply just to eliminate that. Anybody have any ideas?

Hi morpwr,

Try uninstalling your sound card driver and turning off your computer completely and reseating your card, and clearing your CMOS.

cl-Adrian@asus wrote:
Hi morpwr,

Try uninstalling your sound card driver and turning off your computer completely and reseating your card, and clearing your CMOS.

Ive tried all that already multiple times. Even using the original installation disc it shows up as a xonar and say it doesn't need the 6pin plug. In devices it wont even show up as a sound card it just shows up in usb devices.

chevell65
Level 12
There is a driver package at Asus support dated 2017/9/19 that says this:

"Strix_Setup_1.1.18 Fix bugs when 2 or more ASUS sonic studio audio driver installed."

I'm not sure which driver you are using but it does mention a specific solution for using two sound cards at once. https://www.asus.com/us/Sound-Cards/STRIX-RAID-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

chevell65 wrote:
There is a driver package at Asus support dated 2017/9/19 that says this:

"Strix_Setup_1.1.18 Fix bugs when 2 or more ASUS sonic studio audio driver installed."

I'm not sure which driver you are using but it does mention a specific solution for using two sound cards at once. https://www.asus.com/us/Sound-Cards/STRIX-RAID-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

Yep tried that too with the same result. Thing that bothers me is it doesn't even show up as a sound card.

morpwr wrote:
Yep tried that too with the same result. Thing that bothers me is it doesn't even show up as a sound card.

I guess you thought of this, but have you any way of fitting that sound card into another PC to see if it is seen as a sound card and not a USB device.

To me it is a if the hardware ID has been forced to be something that it isn't like when you manually force install a driver that is not meant for that particular hardware because it has a different hardware ID. Have you tried to install the drivers manually by using Device manager, and making sure that the correct inf file is chosen for your sound card when you choose the "Have Disk" option ?

I just checked out the ASUS site for your ASUS Strix Raid Pro PCIe audio device, and the chipset is, I quote from the specs:
"Audio Processor : C-Media USB2.0 6632AX High-Definition Sound Processor (Max. 384KHz / 24bit)"

Note the C-Media "USB2.0". That's maybe why your system is seeing it as a USB device, because at a hardware level it is. It's probably an inf file problem when the driver gets installed or????

Just found a fix for another person with the same audio device who's system could not recognise the audio device, his fix was "Solved it- Went into BIOS and saw VT-D was disabled. Turned it on and the machine saw the card on reboot. Working perfectly now!"

Maybe you could try that? because VT-d is disabled by default and for whatever reason turning it on might force your system to see the device for what it was designed. It's worth a try. Have you tried a different PCIe port? Another person with a "similar" audio device who had a problem on this forum fixed it by swapping PCIe port:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99882-Strix-SOAR-not-detected-Resolved

good luck

XYchromosone wrote:
I guess you thought of this, but have you any way of fitting that sound card into another PC to see if it is seen as a sound card and not a USB device.

To me it is a if the hardware ID has been forced to be something that it isn't like when you manually force install a driver that is not meant for that particular hardware because it has a different hardware ID. Have you tried to install the drivers manually by using Device manager, and making sure that the correct inf file is chosen for your sound card when you choose the "Have Disk" option ?

I just checked out the ASUS site for your ASUS Strix Raid Pro PCIe audio device, and the chipset is, I quote from the specs:
"Audio Processor : C-Media USB2.0 6632AX High-Definition Sound Processor (Max. 384KHz / 24bit)"

Note the C-Media "USB2.0". That's maybe why your system is seeing it as a USB device, because at a hardware level it is. It's probably an inf file problem when the driver gets installed or????

Just found a fix for another person with the same audio device who's system could not recognise the audio device, his fix was "Solved it- Went into BIOS and saw VT-D was disabled. Turned it on and the machine saw the card on reboot. Working perfectly now!"

Maybe you could try that? because VT-d is disabled by default and for whatever reason turning it on might force your system to see the device for what it was designed. It's worth a try. Have you tried a different PCIe port? Another person with a "similar" audio device who had a problem on this forum fixed it by swapping PCIe port:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99882-Strix-SOAR-not-detected-Resolved

good luck

If I had another pc I would have so I tried everything but that. I did see the fixes you found also and that wasn't the issue. I also found one you didn't find where somehow asus card get over written and they are just unless you can reflash them. Either way the new card worked perfect. Problem is this is twice this has happened to me with windows updates and this card. The first time wasn't this bad but it shouldn't happen at all. I get having to update drivers but crashing my c drive and forcing me to reinstall everything doesn't cut it. That card wasn't cheap. I wont buy another asus sound card between the software and the card ive had nothing but problems with it. Which really sucks because I try not to mix manufactures so there is less issues.

morpwr wrote:
If I had another pc I would have so I tried everything but that. I did see the fixes you found also and that wasn't the issue. I also found one you didn't find where somehow asus card get over written and they are just unless you can reflash them. Either way the new card worked perfect. Problem is this is twice this has happened to me with windows updates and this card. The first time wasn't this bad but it shouldn't happen at all. I get having to update drivers but crashing my c drive and forcing me to reinstall everything doesn't cut it. That card wasn't cheap. I wont buy another asus sound card between the software and the card ive had nothing but problems with it. Which really sucks because I try not to mix manufactures so there is less issues.

So you got that card replaced with a new one? Did ASUS replace it?

I have been checking out ASUS sound cards and it seems they haven't produced anything new in the past few years. And the drivers for existing audio cards haven't been updated for ages, just like most of ASUS hardware drivers, they lag behind with Windows 10 updates, some of which are quite extensive and hardware manufacturers need to keep up with the big changes to the OS by updated their drivers accordingly. Although microsoft appears to be involved with some of the larger hardware companies developing updated drivers for Audio and LAN cards/onboard chips etc., such as Realtek e.g., it appears as though ASUS and microsoft are not working together as extensive as e.g., Realtek. That's my observation. Yep, I agree, it really sucks, especially when you pay so much money for these products.

XYchromosone wrote:
So you got that card replaced with a new one? Did ASUS replace it?

I have been checking out ASUS sound cards and it seems they haven't produced anything new in the past few years. And the drivers for existing audio cards haven't been updated for ages, just like most of ASUS hardware drivers, they lag behind with Windows 10 updates, some of which are quite extensive and hardware manufacturers need to keep up with the big changes to the OS by updated their drivers accordingly. Although microsoft appears to be involved with some of the larger hardware companies developing updated drivers for Audio and LAN cards/onboard chips etc., such as Realtek e.g., it appears as though ASUS and microsoft are not working together as extensive as e.g., Realtek. That's my observation. Yep, I agree, it really sucks, especially when you pay so much money for these products.

No I didn't even bother with trying to get another asus sound card. I replaced it with a sound blaster z for the reasons you stated about drivers. It looks to me like sound cards are basically ignored. I posted in the sound card section also and still no reply and that was 5 days ago.