cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Formula V Z + FX9590 Power Requirement for 4.8GHz+

Walshire
Level 7
Hello Guys,

Since I've downloaded Cinebench I have been testing it but with constant failure trying to lock in 4.9Ghz with this chip and board, now the question I have is does the motherboard need the extra 4-pin power connector to reach above 1.5v?, as on my 4.8Ghz overclock it looks to only reach 1.5v, this is with LLC on high with no manual voltage or offset just stock 'auto' - am I to leave it until I get another 4-pin cable?

My results on Cinebench with the 4.8Ghz OC are anywhere between 769-775 and can run it over and over without failure.

The 4.9Ghz OC does one run then fails half way through or towards the end of the second attempt regardless of voltage influence, the result of the first run is between 788-791,

The highest I can set the voltage and LLC before it forces shut down is Ultra High and only 0.005+ offset,

Any test up to it beginning to shut down just freeze on the second run half way through or toward the end as I mentioned but UHLLC and 0.010+ offset will constantly shut down on the second test instead.

This is why I think I have reached the maximum the board will support until I give it some extra juice via the extra 4-pin power?

Some people have not noticed a difference or found it had helped at all on some posts I read so I am a bit confused if people are getting 4.9Ghz+ with lower voltages. :rolleyes:
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you can spread your voltage/current across more inputs I would guess it would help for "smoothness"

However I'm not sure when the current protection will kick in on that board and just limit you...are you disabling voltage monitoring in BIOS?....not that I'm suggesting you should...

Walshire
Level 7
Hey Arne.

I'm guessing here but do you mean spreading voltage/current by setting the LLC lower to Regular or Medium then adding an offset? I have done this and had stability on the 4.8Ghz OC but will just do same as mentioned in the beginning on the 4.9Ghz OC.

I have not disabled voltage monitoring, would it be this which would shut it down? I could try it,

My DIGI+ settings are all default apart from the LLC changes and the cpu power is 130%, all rest Auto,

In fact any other changes in DIGI+ after setting the LLC and power to 130% will make it not boot or crash.

Thanks

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sorry, no, I meant populating the extra 4pin ATX connection...I believe it's good practice for higher OCing...even though the 8pin can probably cope...

It might well be...the monitoring...I think in BIOS in Monitoring tab if you disable monitoring on Vcore it allows you to stray into danger territory (at your own risk!) 😉

I hope you are employing superior cooling!

Walshire
Level 7
Ahh I get ya, I'll try that with the voltage monitoring, I have a h110 dealing with it, the constant cinebench tests only make the temps breach 60c slightly, if I do get the 4-pin connected I'll be giving the cooling a look at and improve with better fans/radiators if required, also this is without any fans on the VRM or back of the CPU, I would be adding these to.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah CB is not too tough on temps...Some focused cooling on the VRM would be a good idea I reckon...I've honestly never OCd without

Walshire
Level 7
Arne thank you for this, I usually run the chip at stock 4.7-5Ghz Turbo Enabled and this runs fine on High LLC, knowing I can get more performance having the chip locked at a frequency and the noticeable performance increase I get makes it worth it, I like squeezing every drop I can get out CPU's, I had a quad core Phenom II 975 on the Gigabyte 990fx UD7 that I got to 4.4Ghz from 3.7Ghz base clock, and honestly I've felt that performed better than this chip in some cases :confused:

I will post back with my findings with the voltage monitoring disabled.

Walshire wrote:
I will post back with my findings with the voltage monitoring disabled.

OK perfect! good luck with it!:)

Walshire
Level 7
Hey Man,

I am still looking into this, disabling the voltage monitor does give a pinch of wiggle room when I am above 1.51v, 4.9Ghz was achieved for longer in CB and I was getting 790-794, now I am aiming for 5Ghz, one thing I did notice is that when the LLC is Regular or Medium, up at these voltages I get spikes when looking at CPU-ID, was seeing 1.56-1.59v when I'd set it to 1.51v in BIOS, it would crash before fully loading into windows when this happened, only just loaded CPU-ID up before it did it each time, so I may post again with some more information about my rig, possible pictures and screens etc when I finally manage 5Ghz, I need to occupy the 4-pin and get some better fans, the ones I have at this time are max 1350rpm, I need to shift a lot more air, and cool the VRM & socket.

Thanks for you're help getting me further with this pal 😄

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK, cool...sometimes a bit more wiggle room is all it needs....but the spikes up to near 1.6 don't sound so great with little VRM cooling....it might not be pretty but maybe jury rig a fan in place over the VRM heatsink?

Does your PSU not have the extra ATX connection?