cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X470-I AVX Offset?

Jaybonaut
Level 7
Please forgive my ignorance. I haven't owned anything AMD since the original Athlon.

Is there an AVX/AVX2 offset in the bios for this motherboard? I want to transcode DVDs using Handbrake on a 2600X and this thing gets really hot doing that specific task.

Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6

Praz
Level 13
Hello

AVX Offset is an Intel thing.

Jaybonaut
Level 7
That's actually unfortunate.

The heat from transcoding video is too intense for the cooler that it comes with. Did they expect people wouldn't use it for more than browsing or gaming?

Raja
Level 13
Intel owns the patent, so unless AMD comes up with a way around it, don’t expect it.

Korth
Level 14
AVX seems to be consistently slower than SSE4 on AMD parts anyhow, outside of very few special-niche code extremes which synthetically maximize AVX advantages. AVX has been very broken and buggy and patchy since at least the Haswell-E era, as it stands it's not really all that it should be or anything at all like what Intel says it should be.

I think mostly because AVX (especially AVX-512) requires a lot of fine tuning and optimizations to obtain full performance benefits. Fine tuning performance optimizations which, incidentally, Intel claims will be implemented by the non-Intel hardware OEMs and software devs.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
I'd imagine the need is far less great on AMD parts due to the fact vectors are split, not only does this likely have some kind of impact on performance but power draw too.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Jaybonaut
Level 7
Could I get some advice from you wonderful people on what my settings should be then?