cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded my PC and now it doesn't work

Octoploppy
Level 7
So I upgraded my CPU, Motherboard and RAM, everything else in my system stayed the same and I know works fine. Since installing the new parts, whenever I turn on my PC, all the lights and fans turn on but a few seconds later, everything turns off and then tries to restart and it just gets stuck in this loop of restarting. Nothing apears on the screen at all during this time.

This is the first time I have worked on a PC by myself and I don't have a clue what is wrong.

Parts list: intel i7 8700k

asus z370 ROG strix E gaming

16GB corsair RAM 2400Mhz

nvidia 1070 founders edition

M.2 256GB boot drive

corsair 750W psu

1TB harddrive

I haven't tried anything to fix it apart from checking the cables to make sure they are in properly and check that the RAM sticks are in the slots correctly.
3 REPLIES 3

Tribulator
Level 7
Having many years troubleshooting PC issues, I hope I can offer some general guidance to you as a new builder (selfishly with the hope that my own words may reveal some trapped knowledge to help me through my own issues with my new build).

The first thing to remember is that diving into troubleshooting of this type should include liberal amounts of patience. I have learned through the years that rushing things like this will only end in more emotional pain and suffering. Doing things right the first time prevents you from doing them again a second (or third) time.

1) Don't put the case together until you have a working PC
2) Try a bare minimum configuration
3) If you have other compatible parts try them in the new system one at a time
4) Missing the additional CPU power cable apparently causes really random issues

In your situation I'd start by removing your video card and attempting to use the onboard video (if it is available), assuming you are not getting any status indicators of bad RAM. From there, try removing anything that is not 100% necessary to boot the system. Once you have the system booting normally, add components back in ONE AT A TIME.

I wish you the best of luck.

I am having some funky issues with my 8700k and z370 Prime-A as well that are eerily similar. Currently my next step is to remove the M.2 drive and see if perhaps it is the root of my issues. I'm sure I will be posting a similar thread asking for advice.

NemesisChild
Level 12
What CPU cooler are you using? Remove it and check the CPU socket closely for bent or broken pins.

Did you try posting with one stick of RAM at a time and in different slots?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Vlada011
Level 10
Did you tried to boot with default settings or you first try to change RAM and CPU settings?
Maybe RAM on advertised specifications or similar thing or everything was Load Default?