cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VM weird self shut down issue

bezemnod
Level 7
Hi everyone, i have a ROG GL502VM with i7 6th Gen- GTX1060 6GB. I bought it 1,5 year before and due to my studies i always used it in hard conditions like using couple Adobe Products / 3d drawing softwares and renderers in the same time while i listen music on spotify but never had a problem. Today i needed only a tiny render in compare with my common works but it went shut down automatically before it finished. I guess it got overheated like 90+ or even maybe 105+ C degrees. And on idle i see both CPU and GPU has around 60 C which i find pretty high. I have latest drivers for Nvidia and use it on Win10. This is extremely annoying because i do graphic works almost everyday and i think there has to be a software based problem cause 1,5 year is not such a long term to get dust or thermal cover based problems and even if its i dont want to do the cleaning by myself as i have still 6 months long warranty. For any kind of help i would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance and cheers 🙂
1 REPLY 1

FastM
Level 8
bezemnod wrote:
Hi everyone, i have a ROG GL502VM with i7 6th Gen- GTX1060 6GB. I bought it 1,5 year before and due to my studies i always used it in hard conditions like using couple Adobe Products / 3d drawing softwares and renderers in the same time while i listen music on spotify but never had a problem. Today i needed only a tiny render in compare with my common works but it went shut down automatically before it finished. I guess it got overheated like 90+ or even maybe 105+ C degrees. And on idle i see both CPU and GPU has around 60 C which i find pretty high. I have latest drivers for Nvidia and use it on Win10. This is extremely annoying because i do graphic works almost everyday and i think there has to be a software based problem cause 1,5 year is not such a long term to get dust or thermal cover based problems and even if its i dont want to do the cleaning by myself as i have still 6 months long warranty. For any kind of help i would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance and cheers 🙂

The idle temps you are seeing are normal. Asus likes to keep fan noise at a mimnimum when not required so unless you boost them manually through the ROG Center or other means they stay as low rpm as possible until required.*

As for the shutting down, like you said overheating is the 1st suspect.. have some temp monitoring app running and retry your render to see what happens.*

I would also recommend undervolting the CPU and GPU using throttlestop and MSI Afterburner. *just search this forum for undervolting and you’ll find all the info you need.