Hybrid View

ROG Member Array

Question M.2 970 EVO 1tb on Z370 strix i-gaming.

Good afternoon,

Just purchased this m.2 drive and i have some doubts.

1. Should i remove the sticker? I read that you lose the warranty if you do that.

2. Is it better to put the drive and leave the mobo heatsink removed? or should be helping low temps if i put it back over the drive?

3. What options in BIOS should be configured? I read in another post that you need to disable CSM.

This is my firs m.2 install, and i am concerned about the temperatures and installation.

My case is a NCase m1, 8700k and 1060 6gb. Lot of hot inside (about 70-71 ºC when gaming)

Thanks in advance.

ROG Enthusiast Array ---SK--- PC Specs
    ---SK--- PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Hero
    Processori5 - 8600K
    Memory (part number)16 GB Corsair 3600mhz
    Graphics Card #1GeForce 1070 Ti
    Sound CardOnboard
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Evo
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    Power SupplyCorsair 850W
    Headset/Speakers Sennheiser HD 555 / Logitech Z 5500
    OS Windows 10 1803
    Network RouterEdgeRouter X

Those temperatures are fine without a heatsink and a few benchmarks runs the mem controller is 100+ degs

check this topic

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...0-Pro-1TB-NVMe

ROG Enthusiast Array

Also, don't remove the sticker. The stickers on the SSD cards actually double as heatspreaders - they have some sort of metallic properties.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by mrvortep View Post
    Also, don't remove the sticker. The stickers on the SSD cards actually double as heatspreaders - they have some sort of metallic properties.
    thank you both,

so i should be ok with installing the m.2 drive with its sticker, and the motherboard m2 slot with its heatsink/cover??

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array XYchromosone PC Specs
    XYchromosone PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)DELL Inspiron 15 5559 + HP Pavilion dv6 3032tx
    MotherboardASUS Maximux XI Extreme [BIOS 1105]
    Processori9 9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengance RGB 16GB CMR16GX4M2C3466C16 V4.31
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Strix Gaming GTX1080Ti 11GB
    MonitorAOC AG271QG 27" 165Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Floe Riing 360 Premium AIO
    CaseFractal Design Define R6 Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard RAZER Blackwidow X Tournament Chroma
    Mouse RAZER Lancehead [ambidextrous] Chroma
    Headset Sennheiser RS165 Wireless
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 + UbuntuStudio 18.04
    Network RouterASUS DSL-AC68U on ADSL2+, Technicolor DJA0230TLS Gateway NETGEAR CABLE ADAPTER CM450

Quote Originally Posted by wenrro View Post
    thank you both,

so i should be ok with installing the m.2 drive with its sticker, and the motherboard m2 slot with its heatsink/cover??
    If your mobo has a heatsink for an M.2 SSD then install the heatsink onto the SSD with the appropriate screws. It will help to keep the SSD run cooler under load. There should be some type of heatsink compound prefitted to the underside of the heat sink, leave that in place; but if it has a paper sticker stuck to the bluetack-like heatsink compound, just remove the paper first, though, by peeling it off. I am not familiar with your motherboard so I do not know if the latter is the case but I have seen this protective paper film before.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by XYchromosone View Post
    If your mobo has a heatsink for an M.2 SSD then install the heatsink onto the SSD with the appropriate screws. It will help to keep the SSD run cooler under load. There should be some type of heatsink compound prefitted to the underside of the heat sink, leave that in place; but if it has a paper sticker stuck to the bluetack-like heatsink compound, just remove the paper first, though, by peeling it off. I am not familiar with your motherboard so I do not know if the latter is the case but I have seen this protective paper film before.
    Careful, I think the OP is referring to the sticker that is on the SSD itself. The sticker that comes with the SSD is not really a sticker, it's a heatspreader with metallic properties.

However, if he is referring to the protective sticker over the thermal compound on the heatsink (as opposed to the SSD itself), then yes of course he ahs to remove that first.

ROG Member Array

thank you both again,

in first place i was referring to the ssd sticker, but i understood XYchromosome correctly.

I already know that the mobo heatsink needs the thermal pad film removed before attaching it back again.

regards,