cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 970 EVO 1tb on Z370 strix i-gaming.

wenrro
Level 7
Good afternoon,

Just purchased this m.2 drive and i have some doubts.

1. Should i remove the sticker? I read that you lose the warranty if you do that.

2. Is it better to put the drive and leave the mobo heatsink removed? or should be helping low temps if i put it back over the drive?

3. What options in BIOS should be configured? I read in another post that you need to disable CSM.

This is my firs m.2 install, and i am concerned about the temperatures and installation.

My case is a NCase m1, 8700k and 1060 6gb. Lot of hot inside (about 70-71 ºC when gaming)

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

---SK---
Level 7
Those temperatures are fine without a heatsink and a few benchmarks runs the mem controller is 100+ degs

check this topic

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104461-Maximus-X-Hero-SSD-very-hot-(-gt-70C!)-Samsung-970-...

mrvortep
Level 8
Also, don't remove the sticker. The stickers on the SSD cards actually double as heatspreaders - they have some sort of metallic properties.

mrvortep wrote:
Also, don't remove the sticker. The stickers on the SSD cards actually double as heatspreaders - they have some sort of metallic properties.

thank you both,

so i should be ok with installing the m.2 drive with its sticker, and the motherboard m2 slot with its heatsink/cover??

wenrro wrote:
thank you both,

so i should be ok with installing the m.2 drive with its sticker, and the motherboard m2 slot with its heatsink/cover??

If your mobo has a heatsink for an M.2 SSD then install the heatsink onto the SSD with the appropriate screws. It will help to keep the SSD run cooler under load. There should be some type of heatsink compound prefitted to the underside of the heat sink, leave that in place; but if it has a paper sticker stuck to the bluetack-like heatsink compound, just remove the paper first, though, by peeling it off. I am not familiar with your motherboard so I do not know if the latter is the case but I have seen this protective paper film before.

XYchromosone wrote:
If your mobo has a heatsink for an M.2 SSD then install the heatsink onto the SSD with the appropriate screws. It will help to keep the SSD run cooler under load. There should be some type of heatsink compound prefitted to the underside of the heat sink, leave that in place; but if it has a paper sticker stuck to the bluetack-like heatsink compound, just remove the paper first, though, by peeling it off. I am not familiar with your motherboard so I do not know if the latter is the case but I have seen this protective paper film before.

Careful, I think the OP is referring to the sticker that is on the SSD itself. The sticker that comes with the SSD is not really a sticker, it's a heatspreader with metallic properties.

However, if he is referring to the protective sticker over the thermal compound on the heatsink (as opposed to the SSD itself), then yes of course he ahs to remove that first.

wenrro
Level 7
thank you both again,

in first place i was referring to the ssd sticker, but i understood XYchromosome correctly.

I already know that the mobo heatsink needs the thermal pad film removed before attaching it back again.

regards,