cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z370-E HDD LED issue with both NVME slots filled.

Christo_M
Level 7
Note: Embarrassing but I got confused, this is actually on my PRIME-A Z370 board. I might try populating both slots on the Strix later to see if the same issue occurs.

I think this might be a bug on the motherboard.

I have a few 2.5” SATA SSD drives connected via traditional sata ports, and one nvme Toshiba XG3 512gb connected to the bottom most nvme slot. HDD activity led working as expected.

I recently purchased a 1TB nvme Samsung PM961 and installed it to the top nvme slot. Now the led is constantly on although it does still flash with activity when any drive including the new one is accessed. The drive itself is performing as expected.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have tried flashing to the newest bios and updating drivers, trying both x2 and x4 modes and a whole lot of other bios settings with no changes.

Regards
Christo
3 REPLIES 3

cl-Adrian
Level 8
Christo_M wrote:
Note: Embarrassing but I got confused, this is actually on my PRIME-A Z370 board. I might try populating both slots on the Strix later to see if the same issue occurs.

I think this might be a bug on the motherboard.

I have a few 2.5” SATA SSD drives connected via traditional sata ports, and one nvme Toshiba XG3 512gb connected to the bottom most nvme slot. HDD activity led working as expected.

I recently purchased a 1TB nvme Samsung PM961 and installed it to the top nvme slot. Now the led is constantly on although it does still flash with activity when any drive including the new one is accessed. The drive itself is performing as expected.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have tried flashing to the newest bios and updating drivers, trying both x2 and x4 modes and a whole lot of other bios settings with no changes.

Regards
Christo

Please verify where your other drives are connected,
Try Clearing your CMOS.
And update your BIOS to version 1002:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

- The M.2_1 socket shares SATA_1 port when use M.2 SATA mode device. Adjust BIOS settings to use a SATA device.
- The M.2_2 socket shares SATA_56 ports when use M.2 PCIE mode device in X4 mode. Adjust BIOS settings to use SATA devices.

Please PM or email me with the below details so I can work with related personnel to get this straightened out.

My email is cl-adrian@asus.com.:

Christo_M
Level 7
For the benefit of anyone else reading this.

I have changed the PM961 nvme drive for a SM961 drive and the hdd light is behaving normally now.
I can only assume it was a issue with the PM961's firmware, but I could not find any update for this specific version of the PM961.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Crhisto_M thank you for posting back with the outcome.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.