cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice/help with ROG Strix X470-F and DDR4 3600

J_The_DIYer
Level 7
Working on a new computer build (last build was done over 10 years ago) where I am using a Asus ROG Strix X470-F for the motherboard and G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 for the memory. Before purchasing the mobo I had misread the specs of it and thought it said that it could handle 3600 memory by default so I was confused after get everything put together and powered on to find that the mobo was auto detecting the memory at 2133 instead of 3600. After re-reading the specs I now see that it says 3600o.c. (see below screen shot) which I am taking as it will handle the 3600 if I over clock the system? In the mobo bios under AI Tweaker tab there is an option to change the memory speed from automatic to a number of different options. If I change the speed to 3600 is this considering over clocking and will it break anything? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

Amos0831
Level 7
J The DIYer wrote:
Working on a new computer build (last build was done over 10 years ago) where I am using a Asus ROG Strix X470-F for the motherboard and G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 for the memory. Before purchasing the mobo I had misread the specs of it and thought it said that it could handle 3600 memory by default so I was confused after get everything put together and powered on to find that the mobo was auto detecting the memory at 2133 instead of 3600. After re-reading the specs I now see that it says 3600o.c. (see below screen shot) which I am taking as it will handle the 3600 if I over clock the system? In the mobo bios under AI Tweaker tab there is an option to change the memory speed from automatic to a number of different options. If I change the speed to 3600 is this considering over clocking and will it break anything? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Dear J The DIYer,

I think what you are looking for is the safest way to squeeze out the maximum speed of your high speed RAM modules without harm of your computer. As you wrote you were looking around the AiTweaker menu and sub menus in your MB BIOS and you've found the speed setting options. I recommend you to leave those settings and just boost your RAM's speed with one click by using the D.O.C.P. option under Ai Overclock Tuner sub-menu. This is the first option in the roll down menu and this will set your RAMs speed automatically on the safest way. Since the necessary overclocking information was burned into your RAM by the manufacturer and your RAM modules handles the whole tuning setting process you'll get the required 3600Mhz maximum speed and the optimal voltage settings as well. On this way you don't need to worry about system malfunction or lagging as these tuning settings are tested and supported by the RAM manufacturer and this kind of use will not break the restrictions of guarantee either.

I hope I could help to you! 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
Short answer is OC to your hearts content.

The memory profile in either the BIOS or if you prefer set the parameters manually. My advice use the profiles.

Post up how it goes my friend.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
J The DIYer wrote:
is this considering over clocking and will it break anything?

Technically yes but you won't really break anything. Most likely is the system wont post if the CPU can't handle the high frequency.

If the RAM is unstable you might corrupt the OS...so maybe backup stuff you don't want to lose before the experiments.

What is the exact kit that you have?

3600 is at the top end of what the new AMD CPUs can manage...and might need extra voltage.

On the extreme tweaker tab in BIOS have a look at Ai overclock Tuner and see what DOCP profiles the RAM comes with...there may be more than one...

Try 3200 if there is a profile for that...

xBANx
Level 7

Hi, i just instaled new ram kingston fury renegade 2x16 gb cl16 3600mt/s and i wont boot up with docp on 3600 cl16 profile 1, profile 2 is 3000cl15 and it works, tryd seting only 3600 oc without docp nothing wont boot, it does boot on 3200. ryzen5800x strix x470-f gaming ,strix 2070super,corsair rm850x 2 nvme-s 1 on pce i card, 2hdd, 1ssd, aio, 6 fans. I updated the bios, reseted cpu and battery, no luck. i runig it now with docp on 3600 but manualy set it on 3200

i runig it now with docp on 3600 but manualy set it on 3200

I put DDR4-3600 in Dual channel slots (A2-B2) and it was solved instantly.