ROG Enthusiast Array

GL703G laptop warranty is a joke because they won't fix the problem

The GL703G laptops tend to have coil whine. I understand that happens. It's covered under warranty. I don't enjoy that it went through quality assurance this way, but it happens.

RMA #1: The first time, I thought screechy/scratch noise something related to the speakers, wasn't sure. Sent it in for RMA, they replaced a part related to the speakers. They don't double check their result, they just sent it back. Scratch and whine continues.

RMA #2: Second time, I confirmed it was coil whine, wrote up detailed descriptions where and how to duplicate it exactly. Sent it in. They replaced a part related to the SSD drive (!?), send it back. Scratch and whine continues.

RMA #3: I set up a third RMA. ASUS reaches out to me noticing this problem keeps happening. I set up a call back number, they call back on the wrong number. They then call again but don't warn me ahead of time to expect a call (I miss it as I was in a meeting), then send me a message on Saturday to expect a phone call the day before on Friday. ASUS then offers to replace the laptop. I agree. RMA #3 has just come back, said I had an issue with my speakers (!?), but they replaced the laptop anyway. Scratch and whine continues on the replacement laptop.

I'm not giving up. I'm now preparing for RMA #4...

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar

Don't waste your time. All of them have coil whine. You could RMA a thousand times, doesn't matter. They all came out of the production line like this.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Does yours have coil whine too?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by helix400 View Post
    The GL703G laptops tend to have coil whine. I understand that happens. It's covered under warranty. I don't enjoy that it went through quality assurance this way, but it happens.

RMA #1: The first time, I thought screechy/scratch noise something related to the speakers, wasn't sure. Sent it in for RMA, they replaced a part related to the speakers. They don't double check their result, they just sent it back. Scratch and whine continues.

RMA #2: Second time, I confirmed it was coil whine, wrote up detailed descriptions where and how to duplicate it exactly. Sent it in. They replaced a part related to the SSD drive (!?), send it back. Scratch and whine continues.

RMA #3: I set up a third RMA. ASUS reaches out to me noticing this problem keeps happening. I set up a call back number, they call back on the wrong number. They then call again but don't warn me ahead of time to expect a call (I miss it as I was in a meeting), then send me a message on Saturday to expect a phone call the day before on Friday. ASUS then offers to replace the laptop. I agree. RMA #3 has just come back, said I had an issue with my speakers (!?), but they replaced the laptop anyway. Scratch and whine continues on the replacement laptop.

I'm not giving up. I'm now preparing for RMA #4...
    OMG I just realized that i had they same sound - when you move mouse there is a whispering sound?!

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by helix400 View Post
    Does yours have coil whine too?
    Yes, specially when it's idling and you move the mouse, but it doesn't really bothers me. It's a gl502vsk.

Try this and see if it works (posted in another thread):
    Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530 Perform only these steps as Administrator:
    *1. At a command prompt, run the following command: reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save. In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app. That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.
    Last edited by FULLMETALJACKET7; 08-30-2018 at 09:39 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    OMG I just realized that i had they same sound - when you move mouse there is a whispering sound?!
    Ya, it sounds like its coming from the speakers, almost underneath the 6 key. It's a scratchy/screechy noise. I was able to narrow down the part to something just above the CPU socket, underneath a metal heat sink pipe.

Moving the mouse around makes it worse in lots of instances. Changing the power settings so your computer uses LESS of the processor (e.g. 30-50% slower) can help. Also, instructions presented above I tested and retained 100% CPU usage, but it used up much more power and meant the fans were on much more often. I use Linux, and I haven't figured out a Linux way of doing this yet...(something with APCI).

I'm in a quiet office, so I hear it loud and clear. In a noisy room, it kind of sounds like a scratchy hard drive.