cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703G laptop warranty is a joke because they won't fix the problem

helix400
Level 7
The GL703G laptops tend to have coil whine. I understand that happens. It's covered under warranty. I don't enjoy that it went through quality assurance this way, but it happens.

RMA #1: The first time, I thought screechy/scratch noise something related to the speakers, wasn't sure. Sent it in for RMA, they replaced a part related to the speakers. They don't double check their result, they just sent it back. Scratch and whine continues.

RMA #2: Second time, I confirmed it was coil whine, wrote up detailed descriptions where and how to duplicate it exactly. Sent it in. They replaced a part related to the SSD drive (!?), send it back. Scratch and whine continues.

RMA #3: I set up a third RMA. ASUS reaches out to me noticing this problem keeps happening. I set up a call back number, they call back on the wrong number. They then call again but don't warn me ahead of time to expect a call (I miss it as I was in a meeting), then send me a message on Saturday to expect a phone call the day before on Friday. ASUS then offers to replace the laptop. I agree. RMA #3 has just come back, said I had an issue with my speakers (!?), but they replaced the laptop anyway. Scratch and whine continues on the replacement laptop.

I'm not giving up. I'm now preparing for RMA #4...
5 REPLIES 5

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Don't waste your time. All of them have coil whine. You could RMA a thousand times, doesn't matter. They all came out of the production line like this.

Does yours have coil whine too?

helix400 wrote:
Does yours have coil whine too?

Yes, specially when it's idling and you move the mouse, but it doesn't really bothers me. It's a gl502vsk.

Try this and see if it works (posted in another thread):
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530 Perform only these steps as Administrator:
*1. At a command prompt, run the following command: reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save. In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app. That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.

McCoy
Level 8
helix400 wrote:
The GL703G laptops tend to have coil whine. I understand that happens. It's covered under warranty. I don't enjoy that it went through quality assurance this way, but it happens.

RMA #1: The first time, I thought screechy/scratch noise something related to the speakers, wasn't sure. Sent it in for RMA, they replaced a part related to the speakers. They don't double check their result, they just sent it back. Scratch and whine continues.

RMA #2: Second time, I confirmed it was coil whine, wrote up detailed descriptions where and how to duplicate it exactly. Sent it in. They replaced a part related to the SSD drive (!?), send it back. Scratch and whine continues.

RMA #3: I set up a third RMA. ASUS reaches out to me noticing this problem keeps happening. I set up a call back number, they call back on the wrong number. They then call again but don't warn me ahead of time to expect a call (I miss it as I was in a meeting), then send me a message on Saturday to expect a phone call the day before on Friday. ASUS then offers to replace the laptop. I agree. RMA #3 has just come back, said I had an issue with my speakers (!?), but they replaced the laptop anyway. Scratch and whine continues on the replacement laptop.

I'm not giving up. I'm now preparing for RMA #4...

OMG I just realized that i had they same sound - when you move mouse there is a whispering sound?!

McCoy wrote:
OMG I just realized that i had they same sound - when you move mouse there is a whispering sound?!

Ya, it sounds like its coming from the speakers, almost underneath the 6 key. It's a scratchy/screechy noise. I was able to narrow down the part to something just above the CPU socket, underneath a metal heat sink pipe.

Moving the mouse around makes it worse in lots of instances. Changing the power settings so your computer uses LESS of the processor (e.g. 30-50% slower) can help. Also, instructions presented above I tested and retained 100% CPU usage, but it used up much more power and meant the fans were on much more often. I use Linux, and I haven't figured out a Linux way of doing this yet...(something with APCI).

I'm in a quiet office, so I hear it loud and clear. In a noisy room, it kind of sounds like a scratchy hard drive.