cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Cooling 7980XE on Rampage VI Extreme

DjS61
Level 7
Greetings Peps,

Before I start please forgive me I'm just getting back to my passion of building my PCs again and loving every minute of it. It has been a while and all these new components everywhere gets confusing sometimes, so thank you all in advance.

So let start so before I start my build I like to test the mobo before assembly out side the case and would like to use just a simple heatsink/fan config to do so. What have you guys used and what would you recommend.

🙂
5 REPLIES 5

restsugavan
Level 13
Air Cooling was OK if you didn't seriously overclock your rigs, however water cooling price and air cooling price are little bit difference.
If you want some kind of water cooling unit for basic used I recommend NZXT Kraken X62. See details here. https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-x62
W11CANARY 26100.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007108 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E Modified BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 552.22 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

Abaidor
Level 9
For testing and if you like to have a good Aircooler around I would get the BeQuiet DarkPro 3. I actually intend to get it for such purposes and for backup just in case I need to disconnect my watercooling setup for maintenance.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

G75rog
Level 10
I quit using air coolers a few years ago because they were noisy, hard to mount, and blocked access to the motherboard and other accessories.

I use the Kraken X62 now. It's easy to mount, allows full access to the MB, and basically runs at a quiet idle even when gaming.

I run an AMD Vega 64 Liquid GPU which also runs quiet.

I make sure to purchase cases which allow room for the radiators and fans for the GPU/CPU. GPU mounts on the rear and CPU mounts in the top.

I also use a 1200w psu which runs cool and silent.

My R6 Apex has 8 NVME drives onboard using the HyperX16 card so there are no Sata drives in the case requiring cooling.

An exremely fast and quiet system.

Thanks everyone, great input all. Sir Abaidor, that is exactly what I'm looking for. It will be just for test booting my R6E before I start the main build and also for those unexpected time when you just need a good heatsink and fan.

If you guys have any other Air Cooler recommendation for the RampageVI and the Strix please add them here I'm sure other may find this information useful. Big Mahalo peps;)

Mappi75
Level 8
I would 100% recommend the Noctua-NH-D15S which fits perfect to the first pci-e slot on most/all asus mobo's!
Best temps, best build quality and easy to install (got 6 or more coolers from noctua in the past).

BUT:

If you want real low temps you need to delid your cpu:

My 7980XE had on two cores a max temp of 86 degree.

After delid the cpu & Conductonaut (with noctua) the temperature was max. 59 degree (@ 30 degree room temp!!)

Tested with 1 1/2 hours Aida64 stresstest.

If you want to see my pics:
https://www.computerbase.de/forum/threads/delid-die-mate-x-heatspreader-guillotine-fuer-skylake-x-un...