cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Wireless and no Playback config

Boight
Level 7
Greetings members!

I have the ROG Strix Wireless Gaming Headset with Sonic Studio V1.1.17 Sound Card FW v0.80 on win10 x64 v1803
I've had these headphones for about a week, they work fine with music and gaming but I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what.
When it comes to virtual 7.1, I can enable Virtual Surround and the test has some definite L/R but I really can't distinguish between the sides/rear from the fronts.
I watch the output graph and it's all left or right.
I can't change Playback Configuration as it only allows stereo. The Channel mixer only allows L/R.
I've tried a few different games, movies, music and enabling/disabling win10 x64's virtual surround modes including the Dolby Atmos trial.
I watched the PUBG demo posted on here and there was some good definition with the planes/wave crashing but still only L/R showing on the meters.
So am I missing something or is the playback config/channel mixer and 7.1 output graph all a waste of pixels?
Thanks for any help.
4 REPLIES 4

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
The ROG Strix Wireless has 2 drivers, and so only the left and right bars will ever be active. Virtual 7.1 is played through 2 channels, you should be able to discern where sound is coming from in games. For movies and games with good support for true 7.1, you might have more interest in the Centurion 7.1. When testing Spatial Sound options in Windows, use quality audio headphones with a 3.5mm connector. USB audio devices generally use their own DSPs.

Thank you for replying.
You know, I've read every review and watched every vid regarding this headset and nowhere does it mention/detail how Virtual sound, Playback Configuration, channel mixer and audio outputs correlate, so thanks again. It would be nice if the channel mixer could adjust each virtual channel.
I'm glad it's my misconception/ignorance and not my config.
As for the premium headset, well, it's not in the books for quite awhile. This one will do, as wireless is the selling point. Dang wires everywhere! UGG!

Ahrimar
Level 7
Boight wrote:
Greetings members!

I have the ROG Strix Wireless Gaming Headset with Sonic Studio V1.1.17 Sound Card FW v0.80 on win10 x64 v1803
I've had these headphones for about a week, they work fine with music and gaming but I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what.
When it comes to virtual 7.1, I can enable Virtual Surround and the test has some definite L/R but I really can't distinguish between the sides/rear from the fronts.
I watch the output graph and it's all left or right.
I can't change Playback Configuration as it only allows stereo. The Channel mixer only allows L/R.
I've tried a few different games, movies, music and enabling/disabling win10 x64's virtual surround modes including the Dolby Atmos trial.
I watched the PUBG demo posted on here and there was some good definition with the planes/wave crashing but still only L/R showing on the meters.
So am I missing something or is the playback config/channel mixer and 7.1 output graph all a waste of pixels?
Thanks for any help.

how can i open other channels

I'm pretty sure it's a waste of pixels.

You have 3 choices.
1) Dolby Atmos
2) Windows Sonic
3) Asus Virtual Surround (Sonic Studio)

As near as I can tell they're all about the same.

Yes I believe it's a misleading product claim and you'd think in this day and age you'd be able to tweak how it works.