cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Zephyrus M GM501 Overheating Instantly

DaiBenduMonk
Level 7
Just got this laptop after watching many reviews trying to pick the best cooled slim laptop in the market, that could possibly run games pretty well too. After having a Sony Viao that was overheating for years, didn't want to have the same kind of experience. Getting a gaming laptop I expected to be able to play games on it on a whim. But my early experience thus far has been everything but that. I guess I could, but for no more than a couple of minutes at a time.

When I'm idle or browse the internet, or writing this post, it's usually pretty quiet and cool as you can see here.

But as soon as I try booting it up a game, Battlefront II specifically, something just goes wrong, or is this normal, I have no clue? The fans seem to go into over drive, everything just heats up in seconds. By the time the main menu opens up I can be running 80 degrees Celcius, and it doesn't go away. I'm not even in a match, I can just be sitting in the menu, and it's still getting so hot.

And this is all while putting all the in-game visual parameters on lowest settings as well.

Why is this happening?

In game, it doesn't get any better even with these lowest settings.

Then If I choose to believe GeForce optimization, and just go for it, click the "PLAY" button....

Ultra will heat up the laptop, like a hot plate.

This laptop is powerful, I love the detail it manages to achieve, but I never expected it to over heat instantly. If I run even for a minute that game, I feel like the heat will damage the hardware.

So I don't know, is this a normal performance for this laptop, was I expecting too much? I wonder if any of you guys have been experiencing this with your own Zephyrus, or maybe you have seen similar things happen on similar laptops, I would love to hear from you and the guys at ASUS if you have any suggestions that could possibly fix this? I'm still very new to this laptop, it's been just a couple of days.

Thank you for reading this, will be waiting eagerly for your replies.
17 REPLIES 17

VntValenzuela
Level 7
I got the same laptop with 32gb of Ram, and same thing is happening to me, i don't know if its normal

Almost every GM 501 I know of does not suffer from this issue, so I would guess your GM501 is an unlucky draw with a factory issue concerning the paste on the CPU / GPU. I would advise a professional re-paste job, or possibly a factory warranty claim for this issue. Could also be bad heat pipes.

I have that issued but only when it's plugged in, is this normal?

I have the same problem I want to know if its normal, also when im browsing my temps are cpu 80c sometimes 60c AND MY GPU STAYS IN 62C?

i am also in the same boat my cpu temp is going to 99 degress while playing game like battlefeild 1.
It's not even 3 mounth old and the battery only get charge to 30676 mWh at full charge.
i am trying to sell this laptop at a big loss and it wont even sell.

Shvachki wrote:
i am also in the same boat my cpu temp is going to 99 degress while playing game like battlefeild 1.
It's not even 3 mounth old and the battery only get charge to 30676 mWh at full charge.
i am trying to sell this laptop at a big loss and it wont even sell.

my laptop 2 months old fvck asus, no reply in any question that I ask to them. I thought this laptop was the best slim gaming laptop because
its asus. i never buy asus again fcvk the after sales.

The issue with mine is the cooler tubes is plugged up with flaking paint chips. Because of the expansion and contraction and excess heat my cooler clogged up. A manufacturers defect.

Dweb_1-1703447007237.png

ryanhaver
Level 7
Your temps are great compared to mine, although I have the GX501GI. I am hitting 97-99C on CPU and 87-89C on the GPU within minutes of any significant system load, this while in ambient temps of 22-24C.

From the reading I have been doing most people should expect to have temps at or slightly below the values you are seeing. Some get slightly below where you are at after applying new thermal compound (even liquid metal compound).

My temps are so high that the laptop isn't usable for much other than Facebook, Email and Netflix.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101151-GX501-cpu-overheat-issue/page3#post745163

83c for the CPU and 85c for the GPU isn't bad TBH. I have the GX501GI model which is different.

To the original author, your temps are not bad. You can follow the link above if you want to try undervolting your CPU and get lower temps which I did but I have a different laptop model so you might want to do some searching around Undervolting for your laptop.