cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking i7-8700K numbers

Cheesy86
Level 7
Hello my awesome people. Back at it again. Just trying to learn as much as I can here from the fountain of knowledge that you all provide. Currently trying to OC my 8700k to 4.8 GHZ and make my way up. I wanted to see what you guys opinions are on temps, voltage, VCCIO and VCCSA. I ran a test last night on RealBench for 1 hr with the following specs and it passed:

OC: 4.8 GHZ

Package Temps: 73° C

VCore: 1.26

VCCIO: 1.1

VCCSA: 1.1

Also ran a test on Cinebench and went from 1301 (stock) to 1559. That's an 83% increase, pretty happy. The system is getting cooled by the Corsair H100i V2.

What do you guys think? I would like to try and stick around these numbers, maybe lower temps a bit if possible w/o delidding and I am open to any recommendations and thoughts you all have.
48 REPLIES 48

Menthol
Level 14
Chessy86, what to do once you have it set up as you like and all is stable

Can you elaborate just a little more

CPU voltage, manual or adaptive? any offset being used?

LLC, 5, 6?

AC/DC voltage = 0.01? or SVID best case scenario? I am not familiar with this model bios

Windows power plan settings?

Cooler fans being used, how are they being controlled? intake or exhaust?

Monitoring software being used?

Are you monitoring core voltages or just package temp? Package temp is typically a little higher than core temps but there can be variances between cores of significant value

AVX offset?

Memory, 2 or 4 module kit? default (2133), XMP, dram voltage? manual settings, timings being used?

RealBench version being used?

Ambient temp?

Menthol,

Awww, one of the main gurus. How you doing ma dude. So im going to make some slight changes since I found some suggestions from you and Nate152 that I was following.

First I will list the changes that I made in my bios:

Loaded default settings on bios to start fresh

disabled MCE

SVID behavior Auto

AVX Instructions Core Ratio Negative offset 0

sync all cores

CPU core ratio 48

Dram frequency to 3000mhz

dram tiimings 16 20 38

cpu svid support auto

max cpu cache ratio 46

cpu core/cache voltage adaptive mode

additional turbo mode cpu core voltage 1.25

dram voltage 1.350

vcccio 1.1 (heard you could possibly run this at 1.0)

vccsa 1.1 (heard you could possibly run this at 1.0)

CPU load line calobration level 6

AC and DC load line .01

windows power at balanced

I ran Cinebench no problem at a score of 1560. Also ran Realbench benchmark and stress test for 30 mins, late night, and received the following readings using HWinfo (see attachments please) Latest downloads for all software monitoring and stress testing.

Case fans I have 2 140ml in front for intake, 1 140ml back outtake and the h100i v2 at the top of fractal case exhausting heat. Looking to replace case fans first with either corsair ml or LL 140 rgb.

I live in Long Beach so ambient temp last night was about 73° Fahrenheit.

I would like to continue to push the system maybe to 5ghz but make sure that temps dont get over the 80°C MARK. Took me like 6 months to save up for parts and I would love to get as much performance out of this build without hindering my products. Have to make this build last a bit with a new baby on the way. Only going to be used for video editing and 3D stuff like lighting, animations, Maya, zbrush, marvelous designer, etc.

Any recommendations on how to proceed to see if I can safely hit 4.9ghz maybe even 5ghz.

Nate152
Hey Cheesy !

You're setting Additional Turbo Mode of 1.25v and HWinfo is showing 1.344v.

Set SVID Behavior to Best Case

CPU SVID Support - On auto should be ok but is recommended to Enable for adaptive mode.

Not to fear though, 1.344v looks to be some overclocking headroom and is about it if you want to keep at 80c as you're at mid to high 70's.

First see if setting SVID Behavior to Best Case and Enabling CPU SVID Support gets the Maximum Vcore to 1.25v, if it's still 1.344v try a negative offset of -0.090v.

Hey Nate,

Sorry for the late reply. Working late. Ok, I did as you suggested. SVID to best case scenario, SVID support enabled. Now running RealBench benchmark and Cinebench as well. Had to run it with an offset of -.044 to keep voltage from throttling to 1.344. I'll update tommorow, tired it's late.

Nate152
All right sounds good Cheesy.

What is the Maximum Vcore showing after a test, post us a screenshot of Hwinfo if you like.

Hey Nate currently at the office and wobt be home till later. I will run some tests and repost tonight. Hopefully you have time to keep providing some guidance. Thank you again for all the help and advice you offer to all the members here. I'll upload soon.

Nate152
You're welcome !

Let's see if you can get the Maximum Vcore to 1.250v using a negative offset.

I had the same problem with my setup yesterday, I was using adaptive voltage with offset, combined to 1.0v and it shot 1.35 volt in to it.

I turned off Aware adaptive voltage, and the problem fixed itself. no matter what adaptive voltage I typed in, the voltage ended on almost 1.4, I didn't load the cpu thank god. my cpu likes 1.168 under load at 4.8 sync all. so almost 1.4 is just.... yeah...

Heck yeah. More knowledge being dropped today. Just got home from working on a project. Going to make an espresso and sit down to some lovely OC hahaha. Will post results from RealBench and HWinfo soon.

Thanks for the heads up Kalle. Hope it's not a bug.