cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL553VD Laptop freezing.. overheating issues

Bloano
Level 7
So I bought my laptop around a March of 2017 around a year later my battery and motherboard completely died (probably from overheating) so I sent it in this July on the 31st.. I finally got my laptop back and got the motherboard and battery replaced.. but within 2 days I’m running into issues with the laptop completely freezing and overheating within 30 minutes of playing a game.. Also I have probably only used this laptop for about 6-7 hours since I’ve gotten it back and thats been mostly for schoolwork.. so it’s not like I’m putting a lot of stress on it all day everyday.. but it doesn’t seem like it should already be running at 85 C within 30 minutes of playin a game..I doubt it’s a thermal paste issue either I’m sure they put a nice glop on the cpu/heatsink when they fixed it.. but now I t’s also completely freezing (maybe from overheating) when browsing the internet. Thoughts?
9 REPLIES 9

Bloano
Level 7
Bump

FastM
Level 8
whats your definition of freezing. Game crashing to windows? game locking up to the point your sound and screen are completely frozen you have to hold the power button?

FastM wrote:
whats your definition of freezing. Game crashing to windows? game locking up to the point your sound and screen are completely frozen you have to hold the power button?
I know this is a very late reply and you probably wont see this but... it's to the point that my whole screen freezes and sometimes the sound aswell.. but there are times that only the screen will freeze and the sounds still playing and will start to get distorted.. but it's always to the point where I have to power off because it just stays frozen. Also today my Laptop got the blue screen of death(BSOD) With the error: Security_Check_Failure. This is happening after only having this Laptop for a couple weeks(Received on the 28th) and I actually started running into these problems within the first 2-3 days of getting my laptop back. It's kind of disheartening though that ASUS doesn't reply to any of these posts.. but they have the time to move my post to a different thread within the first day of posting it.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Bloano wrote:
I know this is a very late reply and you probably wont see this but... it's to the point that my whole screen freezes and sometimes the sound aswell.. but there are times that only the screen will freeze and the sounds still playing and will start to get distorted.. but it's always to the point where I have to power off because it just stays frozen. Also today my Laptop got the blue screen of death(BSOD) With the error: Security_Check_Failure. This is happening after only having this Laptop for a couple weeks(Received on the 28th) and I actually started running into these problems within the first 2-3 days of getting my laptop back.

Hi,

Not sure if you sent in the system for warranty or out-of-warranty repair, but in North America you should still have an additional 90 days warranty from the date of the repair for the same problem you sent it in for if the notebook is out-of-warranty, so suggest checking back with ASUS support fairly soon if you're still having the same hardware problem you sent it in for.

Repair normally needs to be able to know how to duplicate or catch the problem you are seeing at their office though, so be sure to provide clear and concise steps for this. Intermittent or hard to catch issues always makes things trickier of course.

Feel free to continue troubleshooting and discussing , of course.

Bloano wrote:
It's kind of disheartening though that ASUS doesn't reply to any of these posts.. but they have the time to move my post to a different thread within the first day of posting it.

Your local ASUS support should be the first point of contact for troubleshooting and problem resolution, so be sure to try this if you haven't already since as you mentioned you don't often see too much ASUS presence here and it is not intended to be the first point of contact for problem resolution.

If you are having any problems to resolve the issue through your local ASUS support though , you may want to try to get HQ's attention here which monitors this site, and have case numbers or RMA numbers in your dealings with local ASUS support ready if requested.
You should often be able to escalate through your local support when necessary as well.

Anyway, be sure to let us know if you're still having problems to resolve hardware issues related to the last repair and feel free to continue discussing to make sure it's not something else. Thanks.

cl-Albert wrote:
Hi,

Not sure if you sent in the system for warranty or out-of-warranty repair, but in North America you should still have an additional 90 days warranty from the date of the repair for the same problem you sent it in for if the notebook is out-of-warranty, so suggest checking back with ASUS support fairly soon if you're still having the same hardware problem you sent it in for.

Repair normally needs to be able to know how to duplicate or catch the problem you are seeing at their office though, so be sure to provide clear and concise steps for this. Intermittent or hard to catch issues always makes things trickier of course.

Feel free to continue troubleshooting and discussing , of course.

Your local ASUS support should be the first point of contact for troubleshooting and problem resolution, so be sure to try this if you haven't already since as you mentioned you don't often see too much ASUS presence here and it is not intended to be the first point of contact for problem resolution.

If you are having any problems to resolve the issue through your local ASUS support though , you may want to try to get HQ's attention here which monitors this site, and have case numbers or RMA numbers in your dealings with local ASUS support ready if requested.
You should often be able to escalate through your local support when necessary as well.

Anyway, be sure to let us know if you're still having problems to resolve hardware issues related to the last repair and feel free to continue discussing to make sure it's not something else. Thanks.
that’s the thing though if I send in a support ticket and end up sending back the laptop won’t it be another 60$ if it isn’t the motherboard that’s the problem? I honestly just think this Laptop has a design flaw that causes it to overheat.. Also the BSOD from what I’m seeing online is likely because of updates that weren’t installed.. which I did have some firmware updates that were pendIng and since installing them I haven’t gotten the blue screen. I guess what I’m saying is I don’t feel like sending in my laptop and having ASUS find even more problems that I’m going to have to pay for because they didn’t catch them the first time. And no I don’t have he manufacturing warranty it expired in March so all the repairs I just got came out of pocket. *

cl-Albert
Bloano wrote:
that’s the thing though if I send in a support ticket and end up sending back the laptop won’t it be another 60$ if it isn’t the motherboard that’s the problem? I honestly just think this Laptop has a design flaw that causes it to overheat.. Also the BSOD from what I’m seeing online is likely because of updates that weren’t installed.. which I did have some firmware updates that were pendIng and since installing them I haven’t gotten the blue screen. I guess what I’m saying is I don’t feel like sending in my laptop and having ASUS find even more problems that I’m going to have to pay for because they didn’t catch them the first time. And no I don’t have he manufacturing warranty it expired in March so all the repairs I just got came out of pocket. *

Basically, you shouldn't have to pay twice to get the same problem fixed, so if the problem you sent it in last time for and paid for was not solved, contact your ASUS local support again within 90 days of your last repair to get it taken care of without any charge and don't forget to ask for the prepaid shipping label.

Yes, if we find any new problems that are not related to the repair last time, there will probably be an additional charge to fix those although you probably can just get back the notebook 'unrepaired' if you want to confirm with ASUS support.

Anyway, it doesn't do ASUS any good to upset their customers and lose them, so if there are still problems, suggest contacting ASUS local support to explain the situation and find out what options they can offer you or request whatever you think is fair.

Every situation can be different though, so feel free to discuss more to see what will be the best way to resolve it.

Good luck!

Ok I guess I’ll do a support ticket.. kind of sucks because I’m taking online courses for college, but there really isn’t any other option I suppose. Also, I’m *still getting BSOD screen but with a different error : Kmode_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Thought the firmware updates fixed it but I guess here’s other problems.

cl-Albert
Bloano wrote:
Ok I guess I’ll do a support ticket.. kind of sucks because I’m taking online courses for college, but there really isn’t any other option I suppose. Also, I’m *still getting BSOD screen but with a different error : Kmode_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Thought the firmware updates fixed it but I guess here’s other problems.

If it helps, you should have some time to send it in if you want to confirm with support, but just try to make sure the problems aren't related to software or any hardware (memory?) upgrades if you've done any. If necessary, repair may erase and reinstall your hard drive to check if the problems are still there or disappear.

Also, repair will try to catch the same problems you are seeing, so if it's not something easily duplicated or takes more work, you may want to try to find an easier way to see them.
It's pretty easy for repair to run a benchmark for hours at a time, so if you can catch it this way, just leave it installed in your computer and ask them to run it for 'X' many hours to see the problem although you may also want to make a note of your ambient air temperature or try it in a cooler environment to see how much difference it makes.

Feel free to continue discussing or troubleshooting with others too if you wish.

cl-Albert wrote:
If it helps, you should have some time to send it in if you want to confirm with support, but just try to make sure the problems aren't related to software or any hardware (memory?) upgrades if you've done any. If necessary, repair may erase and reinstall your hard drive to check if the problems are still there or disappear.

Also, repair will try to catch the same problems you are seeing, so if it's not something easily duplicated or takes more work, you may want to try to find an easier way to see them.
It's pretty easy for repair to run a benchmark for hours at a time, so if you can catch it this way, just leave it installed in your computer and ask them to run it for 'X' many hours to see the problem although you may also want to make a note of your ambient air temperature or try it in a cooler environment to see how much difference it makes.

Feel free to continue discussing or troubleshooting with others too if you wish.

I'm not sure if I should just do a clean install of windows and see if that fixes it or not.Also, for whatever reason on ROG center it's saying my GPU is -32768 Anyways, Since there is a 90 day hang time for me to send it back into a repair center I'll continue to try and troubleshoot it on here, and other tech forums. Hopefully it's just a bad driver or something..but, I'll drop this .dump here if anyone knows what these errors mean would be greatly appreciated if you could tell me.

C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Sat 9/8/2018 1:20:35 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090818-28375-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1A8CA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800DEE6EB65, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 9/7/2018 10:59:24 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090718-27625-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8005A03CECD, 0xFFFFF90385BCEBD0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 9/7/2018 10:59:24 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x7489)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8005A03CECD, 0xFFFFF90385BCEBD0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Fri 9/7/2018 4:24:20 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090718-22671-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF803544A74B3, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.